Gibson Brands Forums

Musicians Friend now states every Epi is discontinued, not one is for sale!

EpiAlan

I fear the worst! Just yesterday Musicians Friend carried many models of Epi from the lowest to the highest in price. Today...NONE. Now every model you click on..MF states DISCONTINUED. EVERY MODEL!...both Acoustic AND electric. Something is wrong. Anyone have info, or know if this situation is true of other retail online music stores? Perhaps I'm missing something or perhaps there is a clich in the MF computer system??

Talk about busy, all the Epiphones sell out and then are restocked within hours...... :rolleyes:

Hi all,

We had a weird site bug come up that said every item had been discontinued. Rest assured, if you can browse the item on our website then we should either have it in stock or available to backorder. Pricing may be a little off though while we perform maintenance, so your best bet if you're looking to order is to give us a call. The price may in fact be lower than what is showing on the site. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at 1-877-429-6677 or email us at forums@musiciansfriend.com.

Sincerely,

Chris Baker

Night Supervisor

Musician's Friend

Hi all,

We had a weird site bug come up that said every item had been discontinued. Rest assured, if you can browse the item on our website then we should either have it in stock or available to backorder. Pricing may be a little off though while we perform maintenance, so your best bet if you're looking to order is to give us a call. The price may in fact be lower than what is showing on the site. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at 1-877-429-6677 or email us at forums@musiciansfriend.com.

Sincerely,

Chris Baker

Night Supervisor

Musician's Friend

Thank you! MF you are the best!

• 2 weeks later...

What is going on with Epiphone lately. First they discontinue all but two models of their Masterbilt line, then this crap. What gives? Whats going on?

brannon67,

This was all on our end. We had a bug on our site cause every item we carry to say it had been discontinued. If you have any further questions, feel free to shoot me an email at forums@musiciansfriend.com. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Chris Baker

Night Supervisor

Musician's Friend

I just ordered an EJ-200 Artist from musiciansfriend & it showed it as "in stock & ready to ship", so I'm guessin' whatever problem they were havin' is cleared up.

Remember to check the specs in Musicians Friend for the ej-200...everyone jumps down my throat in here for telling people it has a laminated top(select spruce) and you will see this in MF specs, even though there are many in here with denial. Guitar Center will tell you the same..LAMINATED..PLYWOOD..is a Select Spruce top. EJ-200 has this.

EpiAlan,

Who do you think would have the most accurate specs: the MAKER of the instrument, who writes the specs and gives them to the sellers, or the seller, who gets the specs from the maker (and who may be slow or hesitant to update them, due to the fact that old and new stock may be in their inventory at the same time, or because the manufacturer didn't bother to send out the new specs as they changed, or because the seller just doesn't give a fig to devote resources to update all the descriptions and specs on what is arguably a low-end line of guitars)?

ALL the internet sellers use specs and descriptions provided by the manufacturer's marketing departments, and only make modifications if it suits them, to add their "voice". That is why the "story" descriptions of the instruments is virtually the same from site to site. The sites don't have the staff to write the descriptions and specs themselves, even IF said staff knew enough about each of the THOUSANDS of instruments they offer to write them (which is of course, impossible). It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the copywriters who work for Musician's Friend of zZounds or Sam Ash or Same Day Music or any of the rest have even seen many of the products.

Think about it: the majority of the products online retailers sell come from Asia. Specs and descriptions are on each seller's website BEFORE the product is even available on these shores. Where do you think the specs and pictures, etc. come from? The manufacturer.

The manufacturer, using the only communication vehicle they can reliably control, their website, now says they build the EJ-200 in a different way that they did in the past, with a solid top. MANY buyers of new EJ-200's have verified that the their tops are solid. Buyers with older guitars have verified their tops are laminated. Epiphone said they built them that way for YEARS. Why are these two ideas--that the EJ-200 once had a laminated top, but now may be found with a solid top (depending on the age of the dealer's inventory)--incompatible to you?

Red 333

EpiAlan,

Who do you think would have the most accurate specs: the MAKER of the instrument, who writes the specs and gives them to the sellers, or the seller, who gets the specs from the maker (and who may be slow or hesitant to update them, due to the fact that old and new stock may be in their inventory at the same time, or because the manufacturer didn't bother to send out the new specs as they changed, or because the seller just doesn't give a fig to devote resources to update all the descriptions and specs on what is arguably a low-end line of guitars)?

ALL the internet sellers use specs and descriptions provided by the manufacturer's marketing departments, and only make modifications if it suits them, to add their "voice". That is why the "story" descriptions of the instruments is virtually the same from site to site. The sites don't have the staff to write the descriptions and specs themselves, even IF said staff knew enough about each of the THOUSANDS of instruments they offer to write them (which is of course, impossible). It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the copywriters who work for Musician's Friend of zZounds or Sam Ash or Same Day Music or any of the rest have even seen many of the products.

Think about it: the majority of the products online retailers sell come from Asia. Specs and descriptions are on each seller's website BEFORE the product is even available on these shores. Where do you think the specs and pictures, etc. come from? The manufacturer.

The manufacturer, using the only communication vehicle they can reliably control, their website, now says they build the EJ-200 in a different way that they did in the past, with a solid top. MANY buyers of new EJ-200's have verified that the their tops are solid. Buyers with older guitars have verified their tops are laminated. Epiphone said they built them that way for YEARS. Why are these two ideas--that the EJ-200 once had a laminated top, but now may be found with a solid top (depending on the age of the dealer's inventory)--incompatible to you?

Red 333

Great explanation, Red. I just bought my EJ-200, it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. The top(laminated or solid top) doesn't really matter to me since I'm just diven' into this guitar thing. How will I be able to tell which top mine has? Just for my own knowledge.

Great explanation, Red. I just bought my EJ-200, it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. The top(laminated or solid top) doesn't really matter to me since I'm just diven' into this guitar thing. How will I be able to tell which top mine has? Just for my own knowledge.

Sorry for all the confusion on the top of this guitar. From the other replies, it does sound like Epiphone has changed the specs and moved to a solid spruce top. Since this contradicts what we and Epiphone advertise for the item (we say select spruce, Epi says select maple), I have my Merch team double checking right now.

You can try looking at the rim of the soundhole to see if it's a solid or laminate top. You often can see the different layers of a laminate in the wood of the soundhole. If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a line at forums@musiciansfriend.com. Thanks for your order!

Sincerely,

Chris Baker

Night Supervisor

Musician's Friend

Sorry for all the confusion on the top of this guitar. From the other replies, it does sound like Epiphone has changed the specs and moved to a solid spruce top. Since this contradicts what we and Epiphone advertise for the item (we say select spruce, Epi says select maple), I have my Merch team double checking right now.

You can try looking at the rim of the soundhole to see if it's a solid or laminate top. You often can see the different layers of a laminate in the wood of the soundhole. If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a line at forums@musiciansfriend.com. Thanks for your order!

Sincerely,

Chris Baker

Night Supervisor

Musician's Friend

Thanks, Chris. Lookin' forward to gettin' my EJ tomorrow. I was very surpirised at how fast it shipped & is bein' delivered. I ordered it Saturday night(free standard shipping) & it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. A total of 4 days, awesome. I'll be ordering from y'all again. Thanks! [thumbup]

Sincerely,

Chris Baker

Night Supervisor

Musician's Friend

It's awesome that you guys are keeping track of the conversations on this board and getting feedback. And it's very cool of you to leave replies, too. EXCELLENT proactive customer service. THANKS.

By the way, the Epiphone site says the EJ-200CE (cutaway with pickup) has a solid spruce top. They list the body as select (laminated) maple.

The EJ-200 Artist is the one listed as having a laminated maple top. This is obviously wrong, as it's certainly either laminated or solid spruce.

The guitar that's in the center of the controversy is the EJ-200 (non cutaway, no electronics).

EJ-200 at Musician's Friend

There have been photos posted of it clearly showing a solid top. Curiously, I don't see the model on the Epiphone website today. It can be found on the Gibson site, though, where the top is listed as select spruce.

Red 333

Hi All,

Epiphone just got back to me and confirmed that the EJ-200 Artist is made with a select spruce top. They are updating their website as soon as possible. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to shoot me an email: forums@musiciansfriend.com

Sincerely,

Chris Baker

Night Supervisor

Musician's Friend

It's awesome that you guys are keeping track of the conversations on this board and getting feedback. And it's very cool of you to leave replies, too. EXCELLENT proactive customer service. THANKS.

By the way, the Epiphone site says the EJ-200CE (cutaway with pickup) has a solid spruce top. They list the body as select (laminated) maple.

The EJ-200 Artist is the one listed as having a laminated maple top. This is obviously wrong, as it's certainly either laminated or solid spruce.

The guitar that's in the center of the controversy is the EJ-200 (non cutaway, no electronics).

EJ-200 at Musician's Friend

There have been photos posted of it clearly showing a solid top. Curiously, I don't see the model on the Epiphone website today. It can be found on the Gibson site, though, where the top is listed as select spruce.

Red 333

Wildwood shows the EJ-200 as having a solid spruce top, for what its worth.

EJ-200 at Wildwood

Hi All,

Epiphone just got back to me and confirmed that the EJ-200 Artist is made with a select spruce top. They are updating their website as soon as possible. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to shoot me an email: forums@musiciansfriend.com

Sincerely,

Chris Baker

Night Supervisor

Musician's Friend

Thanks for getting that fixed.

Can you do us one more favor? The EJ-200 (not the EJ-200 Artist--they are distinct models) is the one at the center of the controversy (see my post to you, directly preceding your last post). What does Epiphone and your Merchandising Team say about its top?

Red 333

Red 333

Thanks for getting that fixed.

Can you do us one more favor? The EJ-200 (not the EJ-200 Artist--they are distinct models) is the one at the center of the controversy (see my post to you above). What does Epiphone and your Merchandising Team say about its top?

Red 333

Red 333

Talk about timing, I was just posting a reply on that when I got the new post notification. The EJ-200 is a solid spruce top. I've emailed the Merch team to update our site. Here is Epiphone's page for the EJ-200: http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic/EJ-200.aspx

Sincerely,

Chris Baker

Night Supervisor

Musician's Friend

Talk about timing, I was just posting a reply on that when I got the new post notification. The EJ-200 is a solid spruce top. I've emailed the Merch team to update our site. Here is Epiphone's page for the EJ-200: http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic/EJ-200.aspx

Sincerely,

Chris Baker

Night Supervisor

Musician's Friend

You're the man. Thanks, Chris and Musician's Friend!

Red 333

• 4 weeks later...

brannon67,

This was all on our end. We had a bug on our site cause every item we carry to say it had been discontinued. If you have any further questions, feel free to shoot me an email at forums@musiciansfriend.com. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Chris Baker

Night Supervisor

Musician's Friend

I've always thought MF was one of the flat out best places to shop online, (a long time customer) and now we even see one of their own, taking care of matters on the Gibson Forum.

If that don't beat all.........

Good job Chris!

Archived