Gibson Brands Forums

Your EZ Covers-Your Hard Covers

jedzep

In light of the 10,000 hour conversation that's going on across the way, I began to think about my own playing habits and go-to rifs. The EZ guys I cover to enjoy a not too challenging guitar romp...John Prine, Cat Stevens, Neil Young. The tough(er) plays on my list...Paul Simon, Dave Grohl, Elvis Costello. Do you all divvy up your 'sets' like this. Talking just you and a six string acoustic. Who's who on your lists?

i'd love to play more paul simon but his chords are just nuts , granted if i sat for long enough i'd get there but crikey , would take me an age to get fluent enough to sing along , and i got a short little span of attention.

i love neil youngs stuff , much of its simple but the dynamics are so hard to master , thats what i like to get right. i think a four or five chord song will stun anyone better than any histrionics if the emotion is put across .

if i have any kinda nemisis songs in my folder it would be more because of the vocal stretch involved , that sod elvis costello is a rangey bugger ! failed and thrown in the towel at quite a few of his.

bit of a tangent here but for example , i totally love songs like say boots of spanish leather (insert any simple four chord song with no chorus in here , tower of song, tangled up in blue etc etc ) just magical , but if i play it out in front of folk i start to think halfway through 'aww jesus i bet theyre all getting fed up with this'. .. any of you get that ? if its not a 'challenging' song ? you have any songs that you pick because you want to be told you're a great guitarist ? ? i dont think so :-l........ , am i bored and want to entertain myself more than them ?we all know the people want simple stuff ? just watch 'em go nuts when you're wore down and succumb to the 13th request for brown eyed girl!

Well, some covers are harder than others, for sure, but I dont categorise them that way. I just work longer on the trickier ones. Ive recently started using a looper more to play rhythm parts where Im starting to play lead over, so for me this would be the harder tracks. For example Patience, Mr Cabdriver, Blue on Black etc ..

and i got a short little span of attention.

[biggrin]

boots of spanish leather .... but if i play it out in front of folk i start to think halfway through 'aww jesus i bet theyre all getting fed up with this'.

Possibly my favourite ever song! And yes, even though I don't really play for other people, I get bored myself! But yet I listen to that and other very simple songs, and am engrossed. Could be the performance/performer though...

[biggrin]

Possibly my favourite ever song! And yes, even though I don't really play for other people, I get bored myself! But yet I listen to that and other very simple songs, and am engrossed. Could be the performance/performer though...

not just me then , thats good .

dylans performance is mesmorising , chimes of freedom is another along this line of thought , i have however never get bored 'listening' to any version of boots of spanish leather .... imagine being so rubbish that you bore yourself ! good god ! i need to go back and rethink whats wrong :-)

i love neil youngs stuff , much of its simple but the dynamics are so hard to master , thats what i like to get right.

bit of a tangent here but for example , i totally love songs like say boots of spanish leather ( tangled up in blue etc etc ) just magical , but if i play it out in front of folk i start to think halfway through 'aww jesus i bet theyre all getting fed up with this'. .. any of you get that ?

Haha,,, get you totally BBG

one of the amazing things with Dylan is how he keeps you interested through a song with 10 + verses... basically playing the same chords... as you say it's all about the dynamics... hard to master.. but its what i love also

so many examples...

Neil young is a master also.. obviously.. something like Unknown Legend, which i like to play out in the band... seems really simple..but man is that hard to nail well..... I'm sure even they can get bored playing 'em sometimes.. thats the difference between a good and bad gig sometimes maybe.

Simple is really difficult.. I been tryin to get JJ Cales feel for years.. a life times worth of study right there.

Easy Stuff - for me tunes like The Stones "Honky Tonk Women" (whch works great on acoustic in Open G) and "Prodigal Son" jump to mind.

Hard - Kenny Sultan's arrangement of "Mississppi Blues" is a beast - I still can't get it to where I can play it up to speed. Blind Blake stuff is usually pretty difficult to get down - as Rev. Davis once said, Blake had a real sporting right hand. And if I could play just one Lonnie Johnson solo note for note I would feel I had accomplished something.

In light of the 10,000 hour conversation that's going on across the way, I began to think about my own playing habits and go-to rifs. The EZ guys I cover to enjoy a not too challenging guitar romp...John Prine, Cat Stevens, Neil Young. The tough(er) plays on my list...Paul Simon, Dave Grohl, Elvis Costello. Do you all divvy up your 'sets' like this. Talking just you and a six string acoustic. Who's who on your lists?

Jed....I don't divide it up this way.....BUT I try to do my arrangements....so when the "embellishments" on the guitar playing don't coincide with my singing....lol.....Although I can rub my tummy and pat my head at the same time, I try to not do too much complicated guitar playing while I'm singing....travis picking with bass runs and melody lines is OK, but if it gets tricky, I don't want to be singing at the same time....lol

i'd love to play more paul simon but his chords are just nuts , granted if i sat for long enough i'd get there but crikey , would take me an age to get fluent enough to sing along , and i got a short little span of attention.

i love neil youngs stuff , much of its simple but the dynamics are so hard to master , thats what i like to get right. i think a four or five chord song will stun anyone better than any histrionics if the emotion is put across .

if i have any kinda nemisis songs in my folder it would be more because of the vocal stretch involved , that sod elvis costello is a rangey bugger ! failed and thrown in the towel at quite a few of his.

bit of a tangent here but for example , i totally love songs like say boots of spanish leather (insert any simple four chord song with no chorus in here , tower of song, tangled up in blue etc etc ) just magical , but if i play it out in front of folk i start to think halfway through 'aww jesus i bet theyre all getting fed up with this'. .. any of you get that ? if its not a 'challenging' song ? you have any songs that you pick because you want to be told you're a great guitarist ? ? i dont think so :-l........ , am i bored and want to entertain myself more than them ?we all know the people want simple stuff ? just watch 'em go nuts when you're wore down and succumb to the 13th request for brown eyed girl!

I know what you are talking about......just sing with all the feeling you can muster....use the guitar as support.....

Great thread! My EZ covers would be Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" or "You Ain't Goin Nowhere". My hardest would be my dumbed down version of Doc Watson's "Deep River Blues" or trying to flatpick the melody to "Whiskey Before Breakfast". I have yet to attempt to try and learn anything by Mississippi John Hurt or Rev. Gary Davis. That is WAY outta my league... [blink]

Hm, John S. Hurt, Stacker Lee, has a nice groove that's easy to fall into. Rev Davis's Oh Glory How Happy I Am is a workout for both hands. The chords arent hard, but the inside movement is something: contrapuntal moves, crazy Gary Davis inversions. Don't think the video fully conveys how much is going on. "Play it Miss Gibson."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWr0wrUxXbM Im no where near gig ready with this but like to play it at home.

Archived