Gibson Brands Forums

94 Hummingbird 100 yr

niloblanks

Hello. I recently bought a 1994 Hummingbird with a little different label on the inside. The label reads 100 yr reissue. I did a little research and it appears that Gibson reissued one model of flat top every month in the year of 1994. The Hummingbird was reissue was made in November of 1994 and 100 were made. I wanted to know if mine is in fact one of these made in November. Does anyone know if all Hummingbirds made in 94 had the 100 year gold label? Or was it specific to the batch of 100. The truss rod cover also is labeled "Hummingbird". The guitar basically was unplayed and is in great shape excluding checking on the top. Any info would be appreciated. Thankspost-43301-073076500 1335493863_thumb.jpg

Hey nilo.

Can't answer the exact Q. but I played one of the square shouldered Southern Jumbos from that series last summer and it sounded impressing. How about yours ?

Also I would like to know the scale-length of your Bird. The SJ was a long scale (25,5) - as you might know an original Hummingbird is shorter.

And why not post a handful of pictures. . .

Hello, I believe all Gibson Acoustics from 1994 had the 100 Ann. Label... as for November 1994.. the 1963 Hummingbird was a Limited guitar with Maple Back and Sides and the 1960s look cherry burst.. all 1994 Centennials Models limiteds had a brass plaque on the back of the Peghead as well..

Someone I know has the Catalog and wont give it up... :unsure:

this dude's guitar has a cali case , that's not normal fayre is it ?

all the Limited Centennials I owned had Dark Brown cases with purple lining.. and the Purple cape had the 100th year logo in Gold .. I had 3 or 4 of each model for the 12 month issued ,

the case shown could of been changed out.. and is also a earlier case.. I would say 1992ish.. quite a few stores sell the case seperate from the guitar.. I know of a few in Canada that do that.. not a good practise..

Yeah, all Gibsons made in 1994 came with a 100th Anniversary label (not the best looking label Gibson ever came up with). Throughout the year, Gibson did release a model a month in runs of 100 The label states which number of the 100 that guitar is. I have friend who has a 100th Anniversary J-200 which has the numbered label and a little plaque on the back of the headstock.

Yes I am blessed to have this one.....one of 32 made, it has Rosewood B&S, on board pick up (not great), 1 13/16" nut with "V" neck.....same size as Nick Lucas model......some were made with Koa B&S (mostly for Japan Market) 14 fretters were also made, they had problems with "Wolf" tones for some reason.

L-20poster.jpg

Hello. I recently bought a 1994 Hummingbird with a little different label on the inside. The label reads 100 yr reissue. I did a little research and it appears that Gibson reissued one model of flat top every month in the year of 1994. The Hummingbird was reissue was made in November of 1994 and 100 were made. I wanted to know if mine is in fact one of these made in November. Does anyone know if all Hummingbirds made in 94 had the 100 year gold label? Or was it specific to the batch of 100. The truss rod cover also is labeled "Hummingbird". The guitar basically was unplayed and is in great shape excluding checking on the top. Any info would be appreciated. Thankspost-43301-073076500 1335493863_thumb.jpg

There was a run of 100 pieces of the "1963 Hummingbird" made in 1994 (I forget which month it was for), and these are the "official" 1994 Centennial Hummingbirds.

They were made with solid maple back and sides, which -- true to Gibson form -- was not how the maple Hummingbirds in 1963 were made, since those were made with laminated maple.

Anyway, if yours is a "xx of 100" Centennial Hummingbird, it will be made with maple b& s; if it's mahogany, then it's just a Hummingbird made during the Centennial Year (1994).

I had a Centennial maple Hummingbird for a while, and it was truly non-spectacular sounding.

Fred

Thanks for the replies. It is def not maple so I am certain it is a hummingbird made in 1994 and not the reissue. This one has not been played and I believe it was tied up in a divorce. It still had the original strings on it! I have played many from the 90's and it always amazes me how hit or miss some of these can be. I'm really liking this one though.

Thanks for the replies. It is def not maple so I am certain it is a hummingbird made in 1994 and not the reissue. This one has not been played and I believe it was tied up in a divorce. It still had the original strings on it! I have played many from the 90's and it always amazes me how hit or miss some of these can be. I'm really liking this one though.

The lady had he guys guitars tied up in the divorce...!

The lady had he guys guitars tied up in the divorce...!

When I got divorced more than 25 years ago, my old J-45 was one item that was specifically excluded from the division of joint property. It was one of the few "over my dead body" items. It was mine. All mine.

• Like 1

She also had a late 80s Martin that she sold the week prior. She seriously said she had these in a closet for 15 years in case he made a claim and wanted them. i am guessing it was a messy one. Now, if she only knew how to properly store the gibson. The checking is pretty bad but I have never minded the checking look. It plays really sweet having getting a quick set up.

• 7 years later...
On 4/26/2012 at 9:31 PM, niloblanks said:

I have one of the centennial Hummingbirds.  Some, (like mine) were part of the guitar of the month for November and only 100 were made.  They are patterned after the 1963 model.  On the back of the headstock is a plate which reads, "Centennial Model, November 1994.  Additionally, the label on the inside says which # of 100 it is.  Mine is 64 of 100.  If your guitar doesn't have these identifiers, then it is only a guitar made in the centennial year of 1994.  I hope this helps you.  ~Robert

My hat is off to anyone who would go back more than seven years in their search for a thread about a particular  guitar,  .  I would say though, after a topic has been dead for that long it would be OK to start up a new discussion especially if we have not had one on Centennial guitars in a bit..   

• Like 1