Gibson Brands Forums

NGD, Mexi Strat content

T Bone

Well, my tax refund finally got in, and I did as planned and ordered a Fender Classic 60s Player Stratocaster in Sonic Blue. The thing is really well made, very impressed (had for some reason expected inferior quality from a MIM Fender, but that is not the case). It's quality seems to run neck in neck with my American Strats. All four have a different sound (all different p'ups, Clapton with nioseless, American Standard and American 62 Vintage Reissue).

This Classic 60s Players Strat is Custom Shop designed, and has special wound '69 p'ups (pretty sure they are unique to this model). One thing for sure, it's a keeper!

IMAG0385.jpg

The Sonic Blue is a very, very light shade, hard to capture in pics (especially with just my cell phone!). It looks great, the "aged" pickguard, switch tip, knobs, p'up covers and Trem tip add nicely to the vintage vibe, as does the nice thick Rosewood slab board and the other "vintage" style appointments. Compared it yesterday to my '62 VRI, hoping to get a chance to compare all 4 later today or tomorrow. For now, I need to get the plastic cover and sticker off the pickguard!

IMAG0390.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

Her rack mates from North of the border...

m_DSC05317.jpg

congrats -- lets hope it gets along well with the others, black strats sometimes have really bad attitudes! :)

WRT Blackie, no worries. Clapton Model, has right and proper "British" manors (she'll bark and snarl, but only on command [cool] ). Need to get a "family photo" though. The blue will really look cool next to the Olympic White American Standard I think.

Many congrats on a VERY fine line-up - and that includes those wonderful amps!

[thumbup]

I bought the similar 'Classic '60s' MIM (I preferred the six-screw bridge out of pure nostalgia) and haven't regretted it for a moment!

My experience of the MIMs is that they are beautifully made and have a neck as smooth as anyone could wish to play.

P.

T-Bone, I once had an MIM Stratocaster and so did a couple of friends of mine. I thought they were a great guitar quality-wise, etc. I couldn't afford an American at the time. Maybe, someday.[smile]

T-Bone, I once had an MIM Stratocaster and so did a couple of friends of mine. I thought they were a great guitar quality-wise, etc. I couldn't afford an American at the time. Maybe, someday.[smile]

Don't get me wrong, I love my American Strats, but at least with this particular model, you wouldn't see an appreciable difference (of course the gig bag instead of case makes up for about $100 of the difference IMO, but these go about half or a little more of what a new American model does). They're a great guitar, not just a great guitar "for the money". I still want to wring out the sound a bit more and with different amps, but so far I'm not the least bit disappointed and I don't expect that will change.

Don't get me wrong, I love my American Strats, but at least with this particular model, you wouldn't see an appreciable difference (of course the gig bag instead of case makes up for about $100 of the difference IMO, but these go about half or a little more of what a new American model does). They're a great guitar, not just a great guitar "for the money". I still want to wring out the sound a bit more and with different amps, but so far I'm not the least bit disappointed and I don't expect that will change.

Yes, I forgot that you mentioned that this was a "Special Issue". I believe you when you say it's not just a great guitar for the money. As I mentioned, I was very pleased with the MIM Strat I once had and I think I only paid $349.00 for it

in 2005. The playability and sound were outstanding for a guitar of that cost. I'm sure the one you have with all the special features is even better. Foreign made and lower price does not always equate to cheap. I still have an Epiphone

Sheraton II (made in Korea 2005) that's an excellent guitar. Enjoy your new axe. Give us a report when you've had the time to really play around with it.

I have wanted one of those forever. I actually think the MIM guitars (not to mention the MIJ) are just as good or better than the USA guitars and maybe even the Custom Shop guitars in some cases.

My MIM Strat (named Cheech!) blows every American Strat I have EVER played out of the water. Blows them so high THEY GET LOST UP IN SPACE!

I'm jealous.

Half of that is because my pal who is setting up my Strat has had it for like 2 months now.... And I miss it!

My MIM Strat (named Cheech!) blows every American Strat I have EVER played out of the water. Blows them so high THEY GET LOST UP IN SPACE!

I do like that name Kaleb - Cheech!! Awesome!! I had serious GAS for a MIA strat recently, but my initial thoughts overran my logic tbh. Why buy a guitar that has a nice case and is made in the USA by our Mexican brothers, when I can buy when made by the same guys for half the price by our Mexican brothers. So I invested in a arctic white strat MIM, bought a tough sturdy case and let the rest speak for it's self. Great sounding guitar too pick ups at some point as the stock Fender ones are a bit lame.

If this sounds rambling to most folks, then I'm drunk as a skunk, and you have my sincerest apologies lol!

I do like that name Kaleb - Cheech!! Awesome!! I had serious GAS for a MIA strat recently, but my initial thoughts overran my logic tbh. Why buy a guitar that has a nice case and is made in the USA by our Mexican brothers, when I can buy when made by the same guys for half the price by our Mexican brothers. So I invested in a arctic white strat MIM, bought a tough sturdy case and let the rest speak for it's self. Great sounding guitar too pick ups at some point as the stock Fender ones are a bit lame.

If this sounds rambling to most folks, then I'm drunk as a skunk, and you have my sincerest apologies lol!

I thought Cheech was a good name cause' it's a Mexican (as am I! Only one-quarter though...) and Strat's are like low-riders anyways right!

I dunno what it is about them but those MIM necks just feel so good. I love them. The pickups aren't bad IMHO. I'll probably put in some Bareknuckle pickups or some Duncans soon (once I get it back!), but the major mod it needs right now is Graph Tech saddles, which I plan on doing to all of my guitars. Everything else is fine. The electronics (pots, etc) are great; the volume pot cleans up very, very well without being too bright, which you may want on a Gibson but not on a Strat or Tele. I may replace the bridge/vibrato though (again, that's probably for all my guitars!). But I can't find any factory flaws, other than some fret problems which I am sure were caused by the original owner (I bought Cheech from MT Surplus for $215!).

In case you're wondering, he is brown-sunburst, tortoise shell pick guard, old logo (not the pitch black logo, the clear logo even though its a 2009!), made in 2009. And it plays like a dream!

The only mods Cheech has had are a whammy replacement (it didn't ship with one) and a roller string-tree, which was put on by a friend who set it up when I first got it, which was in last October.

fantastic grab T-Bone!! that guitar drips Vitalis, shaving mug soap, unfiltered Luckys, and '62 Impalas.........

my MexiStrat actually gets more play-time than my Amer.Deluxe because it plays as well, and sounds more like a Strat.

EDIT: if you REALLY want it to shine.....the new E/B Cobalt strings are BOSS!!

Archived