Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson-less

Thundergod

I'm curious as to what motivates one to come to the Gibson forum to make this announcement. cooking-34.gif

Headed over to the Gretsch forum next to grandly announce how you don't own any of their guitars, but plan on having 5 Teles?

Schecter?

Ibanez?

Yeah... didn't think so.

:ph34r:

I think with 12,000 plus posts (don't forget the 1000 or so lost in the crash of 2009 or 2010), previous Gibson ownership, and membership here since 07 - I think he can come here and post this.

This could be his farewell tour #1 for Gibson.

I think with 12,000 plus posts (don't forget the 1000 or so lost in the crash of 2009 or 2010), previous Gibson ownership, and membership here since 07 - I think he can come here and post this.

This could be his farewell tour #1 for Gibson.

And?

I never questioned his rights or permissions to do so, just his motivation.

A clever person will also notice that I opined what I think that motivation was.

For the less clever, I'll openly state I think the motivation lacks maturity.

If buying guitars in order to sell them for a profit is the only reason you buy guitars, then I am sad for ya. Play the darn things and make music!

[thumbup]

No, I used to use those gibbies, but right now I'm only using 2 guitars, and I hate to have stuff I don't use. It also took me 20 years to make up my mind about my favorite rig and now that I finally have it I don't want to have stuff I won't use that's why I sold them and some amps and pedals, I also sold my wireless systems and 2 strats and 2 jacksons.

I only have to sell the BC Rich and I'll be able to START OVER. [cursing][lol] [lol] [lol]](*,)

TG, you need a semi-hollow with P-90s to round out your sound. Now it's like... hhmmmm... I played the Tele last Thursday, and the other Tele last Friday, and the other Tele last Saturday, and the other Tele last Sunday... I think I'll play the other Tele tonight just to mix things up a little. [flapper]

Yeah, I have a hollow with p90s on the list. Right now the list consists on 7 guitars, 5 of them are telecasters, and I'll probably have all of them by 2020. [biggrin]

I don't understand the appeal for a semi-hollow tele, personally. Kinda defeats the point in my opinion.

Neither do I... for me semihollow/hollow guitars have to be anything but telecaster shaped. [biggrin]

I'm thinking about a Godin Kingpin... I tried one and liked it a lot. The model with 2 p90s is great and the price is right IMO.

TG, if you're happy then we're happy! The good news is that we now both have the same guitar in mind for our next purchase. This is what I'm looking to get (American Vintage '52 Telecaster Reissue):

0100202850_frt_wmd_001.jpg

I am GASsing for one of those but to the wife it would be the same as a tele I already own ("same finish" even though mine is butterscotch blonde)... [cursing]

Yeah ZZ, that's the one, in that finish (the other finishes look great too but that one looks like a hot rodded acoustic from hell).

I really liked the one I tried (wine red) and regret not buying it even though it's not my favorite color.

Another guitar on the list (the other non-telecaster) is a les Paul Jr. I'm really GASsing for one of the greenday signatures in black.

Teles list:

Fender select flame maple top telecaster (realistically that is a guitar I probably won't be getting)

Fender James Burton in blue... I tried an old one in white and it was a wonderful guitar

3 partscasters (probably fender standards or specials to mod)

I'll probably end up with the jr and the kingpin first and the partcasters after. The other two I hope to get before 2020 LOL

I am GASsing for one of those but to the wife it would be the same as a tele I already own ("same finish" even though mine is butterscotch blonde)... [cursing]

Well I tried the "those shoes look very close to another pair you have" argument once and it worked to get me another LP. Last year I told her I wouldn't buy another guitar and I bought the Geddy Lee Fender Jazz Bass. Tried to state that it wasn't really a guitar, but she didn't buy it. Maybe I should have bought her some shoes the day I got the bass! Love the wife though.

No, i'm just saying play your guitars whether you are gonna sell them for a profit, for a loss, or not sell em at all.

If you buy a guitar only to sell it for a profit, and not for playin...you got problems I can't solve. :)

I agree with this ... I tried to buy a guitar with the intention of not playing it and selling it fo a profit - failed miserably. First, I play it quite regularly, second, I no longer have the desire to sell it because I like it too much. Not to say I would never sell that guitar, but the only way I would is if I can make a profit from it. In the mean time it's getting played because it feels and sounds too good to leave in it's case all the time. I can't believe I even tried.

Anyone that can own a guitar and not play it, either has too many other guitars, does not like that guitar much to start with or has something wrong with them.

Well I tried the "those shoes look very close to another pair you have" argument once and it worked to get me another LP. Last year I told her I wouldn't buy another guitar and I bought the Geddy Lee Fender Jazz Bass. Tried to state that it wasn't really a guitar, but she didn't buy it. Maybe I should have bought her some shoes the day I got the bass! Love the wife though.

that sounds like me and my wife. She's got a thing for purses and designer sunglasses. basically, I hold off on major purchases like amps and guitars until she's spent the equivalent on her stuff... when she buys purses that adds up real quick. I got a Les Paul, a Gretsch, an SG and 2 amplifiers because she wanted something and I said I wouldn't hassle her if I could get something I wanted.

... then there was the last time, SHE bought me my strat as a christmas gift in exchange for being allowed to run amok in designer shops in downtown Toronto. She spent more money on herself than on my strat, but I was happy and that's what matters.

I basically have permission for one more guitar (I hope to buy back my old Ibanez PL2660 and upgrade the pickups)... what she doesn't realize is I actually have 4 on my bucket list - the Ibanez, some sort of 7 string guitar, a 5 or 6 string bass and an acoustic.

TG, if you're happy then we're happy! The good news is that we now both have the same guitar in mind for our next purchase. This is what I'm looking to get (American Vintage '52 Telecaster Reissue):

0100202850_frt_wmd_001.jpg

Hmmmm... I like those too. What do they go for?

Actually, it doesn't look it here, but that is Butterscotch Blonde. It's the only finish they offer that model in. Sweet guitar!

Hmmmm... I like those too. What do they go for?

The big box guys get $1700 for them. There's also a Hot Rod model with a mini humbucker at the neck position for the same price.

Used, on eBay they're a bit over a grand, maybe $1100+. Or, the Japanese version for $700 ish.

I've always loved the look of them. Played just a couple, and they didn't really slay me. But I'll probably get one eventually too. Just got my first Tele yesterday, the Road Worn 50's. Great feel, super sound. It scratches the itch for now.

Archived