Gibson Brands Forums

Elliot Easton : Rate Him

A add9

How would I describe Elliot? An extremely proficient, concise, and articulate guitarist who played with feel. He was the perfect compliment to The Cars

I'm really digging his Red Les Paul with Creme open coil pick ups on Just What I Needed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDPdfwrNzb8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swunpZMkZAk

Saw them back in the 80's and didn't know much about him. Wasn't expecting "anything" from him, but when he played one of his solos and came up to the front of the stage, I was awestruck. He came out with commanding presence and played with authority. I said to myself, this dude is bad to the bone! Still remember.

Easton is phenomenal! My favorite guitar solo right now by anybody is his solo in "Shake it Up" its soooooo tasty. I maintain the opinion that he is the most important and influental member of the cars.

Absolutely. I was that close to posting a clip. I agree.

That solo was perfection. I remember sitting through the song for the first time and, thinking "this is kind of lame" until.......Enter Elliot. He lit it up. He said so much in such a short amount of time. A beautifully flowing solo. Now one of my favorite cuts ......thanks to Elliot.

All of the above, and then some...........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ..........Plus, his guitars are always cool...........

Hey damian! You're right about that. The man has an incredible collection.

I have to say that the CD the put out last year is one of my favorite new records for a long time. Not so many guitar solos but the guitar work is still top notch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_aOz6CVNc

Loved the cd but was missing 2 obvious things. The smooth vocals of Ben Orr which to me were always a welcome break from Ocasek's staccato delivery and Elliot's short bursts of sublime guitar. You could almost hear where they were supposed to go.

Solid album for us old timers though.msp_thumbup.gif

I view Elliot Easton, in function and form, in many ways, to Mike Cambell ( The Heartbreakers, of course )......

Both are phenominal players, yet, are almost understated in their elegance....Both guitarists turn fairly bland songs into good songs, and turn good songs

into masterpieces, and both turn dull songs into great songs, and both turn great songs into classics, without being bold or brash about it.......

I view Elliot Easton, in function and form, in many ways, to Mike Cambell ( The Heartbreakers, of course )......

Both are phenominal players, yet, are almost understated in their elegance....Both guitarists turn fairly bland songs into good songs, and turn good songs

into masterpieces, and both turn dull songs into great songs, and both turn great songs into classics, without being bold or brash about it.......

agreed[thumbup]

Archived