Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!

kidblast

Waiting for Fed Ex to come down my street. On that truck, today sits an SG Standard (Aged Cherry) with my name on it.

I work from home a few days a week, and as luck would have it, this shows up a day early, on a scheduled WAH day no less, the Gods be smiling. (this was scheduled for delivery tomorrow, but a day early? Oh ya, we can deal with that! Very Cool!)

At this point the Anticipation is killer. (will post pics soon)

Supposed to be jaming tonight too, this could be epic!

Peace!

/KB

Pictures posted, so now, I guess it really happened.

Out of the box, setup was precisely to Gibson's specs. Intonation as close as it needs to be. Pretty impressive/clean fretjob and the neck is very true (my first PLEK neck)

Since I like the action to be a bit lower than what Gibson specs I had to tweak that and reset the intonation (G, B string).

Playability is excellent - very smooth effortless, still getting used to the baked maple fretboard, so far I like it. I was skeptical but I think Gibson may have gotten it right with this. It's very responsive, and lively (I can't think of any other way to describe it.) nice weight and balance, very comfortable, just like you expect an SG to feel. The nut is regulated well, G and B slots needed some Big Bends nut sauce, which cured the kinking and binding. The 490/498 pickups are the same in my 95 standard, but the maple neck seems to add a little more snap that the absence of a maple cap causes. Finish is perfect, this one is sort of dark, but the grain is visible. The color tone of the neck is deceiving, you'd never know it was maple. Hardware all pretty solid, pots are solid, and rotate smoothly, good roll of on the volume controls, and there is no appreciable loss of high end when you roll of the volumes (yay!) I'm not a big fan of the top hat knobs, but for the moment, I will keep them stock and try to adjust. Bridge pickup is tight, the neck pickup floats around a bit, will see what that's all about, I haven't tweaked the pickups height yet but the factory setting seems to be about where I would put it anyway. Case is Canadian made, (not Costa Rica) no cosmetic flaws and in fine working order, I like the white interior. But Gibson, if anyone is reading this, the storage compartment is a joke, I can't even fit my strap in there.

I know a lot of people have been complaining about Gibson's quality lately, but really, I see no evidence of that with this example, it's flawless.

It got here in time for me to do the restring, setup and get it to a jam last night. It melts faces. it's out for another session with my originals band this evening.

Awesome..

SGStandard2012.jpg

SGStandard2012-2.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys, Really it's the bomb. Really surprised with how this baked maple fretboard feels. Hard to explain it actually, more articulate?

does that make any sense?

That looks gorgeous congratulations I love the aged cherry colour it has got to be the best shade of cherry Gibson has ever offered. I tried out a standard last week in the same finish and was also amazed how nice the maple fretboard is. Now play the heck out of it!! :)

Thanks for the comments guys, Really it's the bomb. Really surprised with how this baked maple fretboard feels. Hard to explain it actually, more articulate?

does that make any sense?

Yup, I know what you mean about the maple fretboards. They are excellent to play.

Great guitar you got there!!! [thumbup]

HNGD, glad you're happy with it!!! [smile]

Yes.

A lot of players compare it to ebony for feel and hardness. Makes for a slightly brighter sound.

agree, compares to ebony, somewhat, (my Epi Elitist Country Gent has ebony) this is, hmm, how bout -- livelier??

What ever, there are two words that sum it up - it's awesome

Very nice axe you got there. I like the aged cherry finish as well. I am surprised that alot of people have something against maple necks for some reason. Maple is a very tight grained wood and is awesome for certain styles of picking. Overall if you compare it to your other SG it should give more bite or snap, per say, than rosewood when doing certain licks. Although my SG has rosewood I cannot complain at all about it and I love it by the way, but maple to me is comparable to ebony as others have siad but it gives the guitar a little more of a brighter overall sound. I like a maple fretboard Just my 2 cents, Tim

Having owned a handful of fenders with maple necks, I agree with you. In comparing the two SGs (which I've done over the last few days) There is noticeable difference in feel and just how the strings resonate, you can really hear it unplugged. The action on both guitars are setup about the same way, and with a comparable neck profile, there are some similarities, the baked maple fretboard is faster, and more articulate.

I really think Gibson got it right with this. I will admit to being skeptical, but that all changed as soon as I got my hand around the neck.

Pictures posted, so now, I guess it really happened.

Out of the box, setup was precisely to Gibson's specs. Intonation as close as it needs to be. Pretty impressive/clean fretjob and the neck is very true (my first PLEK neck)

Since I like the action to be a bit lower than what Gibson specs I had to tweak that and reset the intonation (G, B string).

Playability is excellent - very smooth effortless, still getting used to the baked maple fretboard, so far I like it. I was skeptical but I think Gibson may have gotten it right with this. It's very responsive, and lively (I can't think of any other way to describe it.) nice weight and balance, very comfortable, just like you expect an SG to feel. The nut is regulated well, G and B slots needed some Big Bends nut sauce, which cured the kinking and binding. The 490/498 pickups are the same in my 95 standard, but the maple neck seems to add a little more snap that the absence of a maple cap causes. Finish is perfect, this one is sort of dark, but the grain is visible. The color tone of the neck is deceiving, you'd never know it was maple. Hardware all pretty solid, pots are solid, and rotate smoothly, good roll of on the volume controls, and there is no appreciable loss of high end when you roll of the volumes (yay!) I'm not a big fan of the top hat knobs, but for the moment, I will keep them stock and try to adjust. Bridge pickup is tight, the neck pickup floats around a bit, will see what that's all about, I haven't tweaked the pickups height yet but the factory setting seems to be about where I would put it anyway. Case is Canadian made, (not Costa Rica) no cosmetic flaws and in fine working order, I like the white interior. But Gibson, if anyone is reading this, the storage compartment is a joke, I can't even fit my strap in there.

I know a lot of people have been complaining about Gibson's quality lately, but really, I see no evidence of that with this example, it's flawless.

It got here in time for me to do the restring, setup and get it to a jam last night. It melts faces. it's out for another session with my originals band this evening.

Awesome..

SGStandard2012.jpg

SGStandard2012-2.jpg

Congratulations on your new axe! It looks VERY dark from where I'm sitting. Guess it looks different in different light conditions like my cream Std Ltd. As you already know I totally agree on every praise.

SGs are the coolest looking guitars around.

Looks great congrats! I've always found myself replacing stock 490/498 pickups for either Duncans or Burstbucker Pros (if I can find a decent affordable pair). I can never understand why does Gibson put in Classic 57's or Burstbuckers in the Les Paul Standars, but not the SG Standard. If they can put higher end pickups in the Les Paul Studio Faded's, why not the SG?

Heavy: "looks VERY dark from where I'm sitting"

no you are right, it's dark, sort of like a dark wine red or oxblood

@DetroitBlues:

I like the 490/498 combo.

I had some BB1s in my '02 LP Standard, I never warmed up to them, so there's duncan's in there now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived