Gibson Brands Forums

Tried a new 2012 Standard today

Rabs

I actually didnt like it.. Or shall I put it as I didnt like it as much as I thought I was going too.. Sure it was pretty as they all are with those AAA tops BUT I didnt really like the new Asymetrical neck.. It fealt way too chunky too me, where I was expecting it to be similar to my 2008 and it really is quite different and not for me.. And im a fan of the 60s neck but this seemed off the mark to me? I have the feeling people that like the 50s neck will really like this one.

As for the wiring.. Its interesting but not really nessecary, I have my Firebird for thinner sounds... The only push/pull knob I REALLY liked was the True Bypass thing.. Now that did sound goood, gave it alot of kick and reminded me of my Classic. But I dont think I will be getting one of these (maybe instead find out how to do the bypass myself cos I really liked that).

I guess I will just have to get that 336 or a 339 when I next get the chance to get another guitar :)

2012-06-04153522.jpg

2012-06-04153528.jpg

Sounds similiar to my accessment, its a great guitar no doubt but when you've played an 08 and are aware of the "body" changes it kind of makes it a deal breaker.

I wish all the best in your search [thumbup]

Yes... I walked away quite shocked and in some ways happy.. It makes me want to keep my 08 even more now... (as I keep saying :))

Two weeks and counting until I will know for sure.. And as if to prove the point I got a letter about it yesterday.. It says if I dont pay on time (I owe £1300) that I will have to pay over £2750 back at £60 a month until its paid off [crying]

Yikes.. I will and must find a way to keep it.. :)

DSC01258.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I actually didnt like it.. Or shall I put it as I didnt like it as much as I thought I was going too.. Sure it was pretty as they all are with those AAA tops BUT I didnt really like the new Asymetrical neck.. It fealt way too chunky too me, where I was expecting it to be similar to my 2008 and it really is quite different and not for me.. And im a fan of the 60s neck but this seemed off the mark to me? I have the feeling people that like the 50s neck will really like this one.

As for the wiring.. Its interesting but not really nessecary, I have my Firebird for thinner sounds... The only push/pull knob I REALLY liked was the True Bypass thing.. Now that did sound goood, gave it alot of kick and reminded me of my Classic. But I dont think I will be getting one of these (maybe instead find out how to do the bypass myself cos I really liked that).

I guess I will just have to get that 336 or a 339 when I next get the chance to get another guitar :)

2012-06-04153522.jpg

2012-06-04153528.jpg

How was the "weight relief" on it? How does it compare with your swiss cheese 2008? Did you feel a difference in weight and sound, or was it merely the neck that was your dealbreaker?

How was the "weight relief" on it? How does it compare with your swiss cheese 2008? Did you feel a difference in weight and sound, or was it merely the neck that was your dealbreaker?

For me it was all about the neck everything else was as you would expect from a Standard... As for the weight, its hard to tell from a one off and not having my 2008 to comapre next to it.. but it fealt like agood weight not heavy not so light that you dont feel it... From what I have read they are meant to weight about the same.. I can only assume that they think it sounds better, but I doubt many people could tell the difference in a blind test. Not sure why else they changed the process?

Would I want one if it wernt for the neck.. hhmm probably :) The wiring options are interesting but only useful for non distortion playing apart from as I said the Pure Bypass which really did give it a huge kick

2008s were chambered, not Swiss cheesed. The Traditionals are Swiss cheesed, however.

I love the neck on mine, then again, I love the neck on my Traditional too so to each his own. I hope you're able to keep the '08 as it looks pretty sweet!

2008s were chambered, not Swiss cheesed. The Traditionals are Swiss cheesed, however.

I love the neck on mine, then again, I love the neck on my Traditional too so to each his own. I hope you're able to keep the '08 as it looks pretty sweet!

This is the old chambered style:

Chamber_BFG_2007.jpg

This is the swiss cheese:

1998LPstandardradiograph.jpg

The new 2012 LP Standard chambered:

modern-weight-relief.jpg

I have no idea how deep the chambering or weight relief is.

Hope this helps. There are some variations in Custom Shop LP's but these are the main ones.

I have the new weight relieved body, and I love how it resonates evenly throughout the guitar!

Now this is misleading. What is the new weight relieved? Do you mean the new chambered body. I do not think there is a new weight relieved (swiss cheese) as opposed to the new 2012 chambered body. I think this is why people get confused.

Now this is misleading. What is the new weight relieved? Do you mean the new chambered body. I do not think there is a new weight relieved (swiss cheese) as opposed to the new 2012 chambered body. I think this is why people get confused.

You're adding to confusion by calling the 2012 chambered. According to Gibson, the new '12 Standard is "modern weight relieved".

'08 Standard = chambered

Traditional = weight relieved (swiss cheesed)

'12 Standard = modern weight relieved (wagon wheel)

I need to try one out. Both of my LPs have a 50s neck. My Sonex has a very thin neck though. I got used to both. It took a while though. My PRS is a wide thin and when they mean "wide" it's wide! The strings are really far apart. But I got used to that. Someday I'll get used to that middle pickup in my Strat too.

You're adding to confusion by calling the 2012 chambered. According to Gibson, the new '12 Standard is "modern weight relieved".

'08 Standard = chambered

Traditional = weight relieved (swiss cheesed)

'12 Standard = modern weight relieved (wagon wheel)

I stand corrected.

On Gibson's site:

The Les Paul Standard is crafted with all the classic ingredients that helped make this model a legend over the past 54 years. A carved maple top (Standard grade on opaque finishes, AAA-Premium figured on trans finishes) contributes clarity and sustain, while a mahogany body adds depth and richness and new modern weight relief enhances resonance and reduces weight.

In any case Gibson does not help matters either.

The botton line IMHO is that the 2012 Standard kicks ***!

](*,)

Sounds similiar to my accessment, its a great guitar no doubt but when you've played an 08 and are aware of the "body" changes it kind of makes it a deal breaker.

I wish all the best in your search [thumbup]

It is my belief that preconceived ideas play into your " assessment " . I challenge the notion that with similar electronics, in a blind comparison, that the 08 vs. the 12 model is any better or worse tonally due to body changes. I tend to find my 2012 Standard more lively and resonant than my Traditional, and the 2012 neck better suits my hand .I have owned an 08 Standard and while it was an outstanding axe, I sold it to propel me in to the 2012 model. I went into play a 2012 Standard after much urging from a friend ( who is a Gibson rep.), he told me nothing specific about the 2012 , other than to give it a try and let him know what I thought. We, as guitarist, sometimes get caught up too much in semantic comparisons of fingerboard compositions, chambering vs. swiss cheese weight relief, that are indistinguishable. dry.gif

It is my belief that preconceived ideas play into your " assessment " . I challenge the notion that with similar electronics, in a blind comparison, that the 08 vs. the 12 model is any better or worse tonally due to body changes. I tend to find my 2012 Standard more lively and resonant than my Traditional, and the 2012 neck better suits my hand .I have owned an 08 Standard and while it was an outstanding axe, I sold it to propel me in to the 2012 model. I went into play a 2012 Standard after much urging from a friend ( who is a Gibson rep.), he told me nothing specific about the 2012 , other than to give it a try and let him know what I thought. We, as guitarist, sometimes get caught up too much in semantic comparisons of fingerboard compositions, chambering vs. swiss cheese weight relief, that are indistinguishable. dry.gif

My reasons for not liking the 2012 are purely down to the neck.. nothing else

Im a 60s neck type of person and cant handle the 50s ones any more.. Which is why im keeping my 08, nothing to do with sound... I think that the 2012 has a 50s Assymetrical neck while the 08 is more like 60s neck.. (well thats what I thought anyway). If it wernt for that Id have wanted one for sure.. Everything else about it is as you would expect from a Standard

My reasons for not liking the 2012 are purely down to the neck.. nothing else

Im a 60s neck type of person and cant handle the 50s ones any more.. Which is why im keeping my 08, nothing to do with sound... I think that the 2012 has a 50s Assymetrical neck while the 08 is more like 60s neck.. (well thats what I thought anyway). If it wernt for that Id have wanted one for sure.. Everything else about it is as you would expect from a Standard

Everyone is different when it comes to neck preference, so it's all good msp_thumbup.gif . One thing to note is the price point that Gibson is offering up these awesome tops on the 2012 models. Do a comparison against a PRS SC58 with a 10 top , throw in the tonal options vs. the SC58 and the value is obvious on a really solid guitar. I have been told that the 2012's are selling really well here in the Southeast U.S.

Excuse me coming in with an edit : PRS now refers to the premium top as "Artist Tops" vs. the older " 10 Top " designation. Either way coming in at around $ 1400.00 more for the SC58 compared to the new 2012 Standard, I chose the Gibson.

Thank you. You could've fooled me. I honestly thought that the standards were all weight-relieved until this year; now I know they just changed the chambering system. Judging from the x-rays, this is an enormous change whose repercussions are bound to be felt.

Just asking: will the studio versions be chambered in the same manner? This was what I saw on the Gibson video (from their luthier).

Thank you. You could've fooled me. I honestly thought that the standards were all weight-relieved until this year; now I know they just changed the chambering system. Judging from the x-rays, this is an enormous change whose repercussions are bound to be felt.

Just asking: will the studio versions be chambered in the same manner? This was what I saw on the Gibson video (from their luthier).

The old studios are chambered.. the new ones as far as I know have the new style weight releif

It is my understanding that while both necks are asymmetrical in nature, it is the neck of the 2012 standard that is based on an asymmetrical 60's profile. Hence the neck on the 2012 standard should be closer to a 60's profile than that of the '08. However, since each is hand shaved perhaps you found a thin '08 and a thick '12.

Interesting indeed....

Yes... I walked away quite shocked and in some ways happy.. It makes me want to keep my 08 even more now... (as I keep saying :))

Two weeks and counting until I will know for sure.. And as if to prove the point I got a letter about it yesterday.. It says if I dont pay on time (I owe £1300) that I will have to pay over £2750 back at £60 a month until its paid off [crying]

Yikes.. I will and must find a way to keep it.. :)

DSC01258.jpg

I DID IT... today... i finally paid off this guitar with a week to go... ITS NOW MINE ahahahahahahahahaha :)

frikken amazing.. I had to sell loads of stuff and do odds jobs.. but bloody did it.. im happy :)

Just thought id share that :)

I DID IT... today... i finally paid off this guitar with a week to go... ITS NOW MINE ahahahahahahahahaha :)

frikken amazing.. I had to sell loads of stuff and do odds jobs.. but bloody did it.. im happy :)

Just thought id share that :)

Good for you. msp_thumbup.gif

It is my understanding that while both necks are asymmetrical in nature, it is the neck of the 2012 standard that is based on an asymmetrical 60's profile. Hence the neck on the 2012 standard should be closer to a 60's profile than that of the '08. However, since each is hand shaved perhaps you found a thin '08 and a thick '12.

Interesting indeed....

Actually.. ive been thinking about this more.. and now I think its the compound fretboard that may have been my issue. When I tried it I remember the high end of the board where I tried some soloing was what caused me to think HUH. So maybe not so much the shape but the thickness at that end of the board.

If I read the original post correctly, the concern about the neck shape is based on a single example.

You may find that the next Standard that you play suits you perfectly, or not. I mention this because I have had the chance to play at least 10 different Standars, and the assymetrical necks have felt different on each one. I think that going assymetrical has forced Gibson to put a little more manual effort into the final shaping, and that's going to introduce variation.

Don't make any judgement on Gibson necks based on any single model. Keep looking, you might be surprised.

Archived