Gibson Brands Forums

If the nut is dry, lube it

daveinspain

So here I am getting ready to start my scales an fingering exercises when I decided to tune up, I wasn't playing the robot... In the process I found myself struggling to get the strings perfectly tuned. I was using the tuner on my Boss ME 50 which works very well. Green led light is spot on, the red led lights on either side show flat or sharp. Every time I'd get close to green the tuning would jump sharp or flat with the slightest turn of the tuner ](*,) . I decided to lube the nut again to see if that would help even though I had lubed it not long ago when I changed the strings... THANK YOU GOD! The fight was over, the strings tuned fast and easy and the guitar even felt better... A lubed nut is a happy nut. Just sayin'...

Big Bends Nut Sauce is the shiz and doesn't drip. It lubes very well, with no petroleum and can also be used on the bridge or any other contact point where there may be friction. $20 @ SamAsh is about as cheap as you will find it. Use code TENOFFACC at checkout and you can get an additional 10% off this and other guitar accessories with SamAsh :)

Big Bends Nut Sauce comes with a micro applicator, you just squeeze some in the nut slot and then place the string right on top, you can do the same on the saddles and string trees if any. You could not really get in the right spot with a q-tip.

I added a permanently lubricated Tusq XL nut on my Gretsch project guitar and the thing works like a charm even after using the bigsby on the guitar.

Do you just dab this stuff in the grooves with a Q Tip with the strings in place?

When you are changing the strings it's best to get the lube in the groove... The Lubrikit comes with two applicators, one for the wider slots and a fine one for the fine thin slots. This time I didn't change the strings I just tuned the string way down, lifted them out of the grooves and applied the lube with the applicators...

I've been using pencil graphite for decades, and see no reason to buy any other product.

Every time I change the strings, I simply rub a sharp #2 pencil into the grooves of the nut. Solves tuning problems, and as Zeppelinguy pointed out, it's free.

Notes ♫

Rubbing the graphite tip of a pencil in the nut grooves works just as well, and it's free.

Yeah but it leaves black dirty looking lines on your nut and it's messy. I rather pay a little and not have to deal with that but that's just me...

I've been using pencil graphite for decades, and see no reason to buy any other product.

Every time I change the strings, I simply rub a sharp #2 pencil into the grooves of the nut. Solves tuning problems, and as Zeppelinguy pointed out, it's free.

Notes ♫

Look at my previous answer....

Nut sauce may be "pricey" compared to a #2 pencil...but darn this stuff goes a long LONG way. You couldn't possibly use very much on a guitar. Just a dab in each nut groove. I bought a tube a couple of years ago and it's still going strong.

Archived