Gibson Brands Forums

Mobile Devices

Tman5293

I'm curious to know which gadgets everyone here has so that brings up this question:

What mobile devices do you carry on a daily basis? Phone, tablet, laptop, netbook, etc. If you do have a gadget that you carry, what is it? Don't just put phone or smart phone, I want to know which one.

Here's what I carry:

Phone - Samsung Infuse 4G:

samsung-infuse-4g-ofc.jpg

Tablet - Asus Transformer Prime With The Mobile Keyboard Dock:

Asus-Transformer-Prime-TF201.jpg

I've had an iPhone 3GS for the past year and a half. It's hard to complain about, yeah it's not as fast as the 4/4S but it was $100 cheaper at the time. Only thing that sucks was AT&T decided to sell it for $49.99 about a month after I bought it for $99.

As for my laptop, I have an Asus K53SV that I use daily for work, school and home use. Took half a summer's worth of paychecks to get it but Asus is a high performing and reliable brand (as you probably know).

That's a nice Asus you got there, I haven't seen the tablet-style ones before. The new ones I saw in Best Buy a few weeks ago seem to really be ripping off the look and style of Macbooks.

I have an HTC Hero. It's not a very deluxe phone, but for what I need it for (texting, phone calls, email, and something to keep me from being bored while waiting on the train) it works. This device also gives me OS diversity

- Mac at home

- Windows at the office

- Google on my handheld

My wife has an iPad that I use when we're on vacation. Came in really handy in San Fran last month.

I figure when it is time to get a new device, aka whenever my wife tires of her EVO, we'll get iPhones and I'll have one more foot into the Borg.

HTC Evo 3D (the 3D is pretty much a gimmick, most are just as well served with the regular Evo 4G). And Sprint hasn't unleashed 4G in our area yet anyway (PITA, and they'll charge us more again when they do- in fact they upped us ten bucks for a 4G device in case we went into a 4G area- at which time I think there'd still be an up charge!).

Lap top is a "replace the desk top" type, 17 inch wide screen, Dell Inspiron N7010. It gets carried only when I travel overnight or longer, or on a long day trip. Carried in a Timbuk2 Mullet. Great bag (no longer made, but they have other great options).

I carry a desktop with me and set it up in Starbucks. It's a hip thing to be a writer and go to Starbucks to do your writing, so everyone sees that you're a writer.

msp_blink.gif

I hope it's one of those mini PCs or something. I guess you didn't get the memo, but desktops are not supposed to be mobile. msp_biggrin.gif

Guest farnsbarns

I've been using an HTC One X for a while now. It doesn't belong to me, it belongs to HTC but I don't think they're gonna ask for it back. It is ridiculous, quad core, 720p 4.7 inch.

I have an Acer Iconia A500 tab too.

Both are fantastic, I love Android!

I've been using an HTC One X for a while now. It doesn't belong to me, it belongs to HTC but I don't think they're gonna ask for it back. It is ridiculous, quad core, 720p 4.7 inch.

I have an Acer Iconia A500 tab too.

Both are fantastic, I love Android!

I know what you're saying. That phone has the same processor as my tablet. The Tegra 3 is a monster of a mobile processor. You know it has 5 cores right? It's a 4+1 core. The fifth core is a companion core that is clocked lower than the rest and handles low level tasks to save battery power. It's almost like having two processors, a quad core and a single core, in the same device.

I also love Android. Best mobile platform in existence! msp_thumbup.gif

Guest farnsbarns

Yes that's right, the 5th core runs at 500mhz. The other clever thing is PRISM, it adjusts the backlight and color saturation frame by frame, also to save battery. One of my tests was to idle it from 100%, it lasted 142 hours with the screen off.

Did you have the flickering problem with your transformer? That was caused by a fault in the tegra drivers confusing the PRISM software. They sorted it with an OTA update about 6 weeks after launch.

Yes that's right, the 5th core runs at 500mhz. The other clever thing is PRISM, it adjusts the backlight and color saturation frame by frame, also to save battery. One of my tests was to idle it from 100%, it lasted 142 hours with the screen off.

Did you have the flickering problem with your transformer? That was caused by a fault in the tegra drivers confusing the PRISM software. They sorted it with an OTA update about 6 weeks after launch.

I bought my Transformer in March when they were already shipping it ICS. So no, I never had the flickering problem.

I just recently got me a Samsung Galaxy S 3... AWESOME phone.. loving android.. Its got a bloody Quad core.. IN A PHONE.. madness

Samsung-Galaxy-SIII.jpg

Screen:4.8” Super Amoled HD display

Storage: 16/32/64GB depending on model, plus expandable MicroSD card

Cloud storage: 50GB Dropbox for two years

Battery:2,100mAh (wireless charging optional extra)

Camera: 8MP rear; 1.9 MP front

Resolution:720 x 1280 px (306ppi)

RAM: 1GB

Dimensions: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.55 mm

Weight: 133g

Operating System: Android 4.0.4

Processor: Exynos 4 Quad (1.4GHz)

And for a laptop I have an old Mac Book Pro (for Final Cut editing) and have a Toshiba Satellite i7 (new one) for my main PC...

I'm curious to know which gadgets everyone here has so that brings up this question:

What mobile devices do you carry on a daily basis? Phone, tablet, laptop, netbook, etc. If you do have a gadget that you carry, what is it? Don't just put phone or smart phone, I want to know which one.

Here's what I carry:

Phone - Samsung Infuse 4G:

Tablet - Asus Transformer Prime With The Mobile Keyboard Dock:

Asus-Transformer-Prime-TF201.jpg

Those Asus's are really nice.... BUT have you seen the new Asus coming with duel screens so you can use it as a tablet too... now thats funky :)

Just a cheapie touchscreen Android phone...

It's bad enough to take crap for being my age but sitting at a meeting and texting or emailing... <grin>

An old Gateway laptop that I use as a work backup and music player at the office and a webbook as a wiring test machine at the house. And a cupla three, four PCs of various vintage and one old Mac desktop that's still running System 9.x

I've used cell phones since the bag phone era and computers at home since the 8-bit CPUs and so little software that I joined the fun to learn enough to do my own programming. Actually I used computers at work in the mid-late 7s with a 14-inch one meg hard drive and paper tape to reboot if a lightning strike shut the machine down.

It's a whole different world nowadays. I leave thinking in 32 and 64 bit machine language to my baby bro who ain't 40 yet. I never made it into the C era.

m

msp_blink.gif

I hope it's one of those mini PCs or something. I guess you didn't get the memo, but desktops are not supposed to be mobile. msp_biggrin.gif

I have one of those triple decker carts from school with a generator on the bottom. It's really handy for when I go on a jog and want to listen to music. It's a full size though.

Samsung Galaxy S2. I don't know why they call them smartphones though. They actually make me dumb. I used to have a photographic memory with numbers. I remember when I asked out my now wife at a bar. She gave me her number and was impressed that I didn't need to write it down. But now I don't need to memorize numbers because of "contacts." So I started losing my ability. I dumped the whole contacts approach and went back to typing in numbers.

I just recently got me a Samsung Galaxy S 3... AWESOME phone.. loving android.. Its got a bloody Quad core.. IN A PHONE.. madness

Samsung-Galaxy-SIII.jpg

Screen:4.8" Super Amoled HD display

Storage: 16/32/64GB depending on model, plus expandable MicroSD card

Cloud storage: 50GB Dropbox for two years

Battery:2,100mAh (wireless charging optional extra)

Camera: 8MP rear; 1.9 MP front

Resolution:720 x 1280 px (306ppi)

RAM: 1GB

Dimensions: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.55 mm

Weight: 133g

Operating System: Android 4.0.4

Processor: Exynos 4 Quad (1.4GHz)

And for a laptop I have an old Mac Book Pro (for Final Cut editing) and have a Toshiba Satellite i7 (new one) for my main PC...

DO WANT!!! msp_drool.gifmsp_drool.gifmsp_drool.gif

Those Asus's are really nice.... BUT have you seen the new Asus coming with duel screens so you can use it as a tablet too... now thats funky :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNQc9rgV9A

Yeah I've seen that one. It's definitely an interesting design.............eusa_think.gif

Hey, T, when I went to a Microsoft tech center in Northern VA, they had these awesome tabletop PCs. I asked about them and the only response I got was that they were thousands of dollars. They had a similar design to this miss+pacman+02.jpg

(Also, they used an iPad for a video presentation.)

A beaten up old Nokia phone and my house keys - I'm really not gadget friendly. I bought a Blackberry ages back, and ended up giving it to my wife before I stamped on it. Modern technology is not my friend.

[laugh]

Archived