Gibson Brands Forums

gibson les paul studio electronics upgrade help

guitar_randy

Then if you are going to do with your guitar AS YOU LIKE' date=' why the f_ck are you asking us?

[img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_whistle.gif[/img]

You appear to be one of thise D*ckheads that like to be an a** and start sh*t for no apparent reason.

I'm asking everyone else but you Otton from Equador=;

...too bad it's a public forum...

...and actually you are disrespectful to other members... do you really expect them not to respond?

Most of us try to help as much as we can... sadly every now and then a troll comes in. Hope you enjoy it while it lasts kid, soon no one will reply to your posts or even notice you at all.

Good bye.

eusa_listen.gif

...too bad it's a public forum...

...and actually you are disrespectful to other members... do you really expect them not to respond?

Most of us try to help as much as we can... sadly every now and then a troll comes in. Hope you enjoy it while it lasts kid' date=' soon no one will reply to your posts or even notice you at all.

Good bye.[/quote']

Have you tried adjusting the pole pieces on the 498t? Screw them down and you have a less hot sound, turn them up and they get hotter. The design is for loud rock and roll. Might try playing around with it. Don't turn them to far either way (low-output will be too low, High and your strings will buzz.

Just a thought...

I've had this guitar 4 years now and the neck pickup is fine' date='but the bridge pickup is driving me crazy.Only thing i find it good for really is heavy,real hard rock/metal kind of stuff.I can't find any way to get the smooth,defined ,sound,more like the vintage kind of sound I am trying to.The other gibsons I have ,have the angus pickup in the bridge and 490t in the bridge.They get me there,but no matter what i try with this 498t ,it to me,just sucks[/quote']

Have you tried adjusting the pole peices on the 498t? Screw them down and you have a less hot sound, turn them up and they get hotter. The design is for loud rock and roll. Might try paying around with it. Don't turn them to far either way (low-output will be too low, High and your strings will buzz.

Just a thought...

[/quote

Yea,did that some,but didn't get anywheres.

I could try again if I knew a certain method to do it I guess

I don't know if there is a method other than to know where you started so you could get it back there if you didn't find that sweet spot. I have the same guitar but not the issue. Tone and volume controls work ok for me as well as the knobs on my amp.I was thinking (oops) that the poles my be too close to the strings (or some of them) making it too hot. Each guitar is different and so are guitar players. Have you been able to demonstrate this to other people? Maybe take it to your local guitar shop and or talk to them. They may have a solution other than changing pickups. Maybe the pickups are bad or something and need to be spanked :-)

I don't know if there is a method other than to know where you started so you could get it back there if you didn't find that sweet spot. I have the same guitar but not the issue. Tone and volume controls work ok for me as well as the knobs on my amp.I was thinking (oops) that the poles my be too close to the strings (or some of them) making it too hot. Each guitar is different and so are guitar players. Have you been able to demonstrate this to other people? Maybe take it to your local guitar shop and or talk to them. They may have a solution other than changing pickups. Maybe the pickups are bad or something and need to be spanked :-)

Its one of those things.I'm sure some people would like its tone from these pickups,I'm just particular with what I want it to sound like.I never had anyone else look at it at all.I'm sure they are working as they are supposed to.I'm one of those guys that doesn't really like to take guitars in to have a tech mess with it.I somewhat don't trust them and I'm certain they won't treat it like I would myself.Alot of techs too don't really know much,at least where I am from.Last time I talked to a tech on the phone about pickups for a different guitar with 498t I wanted to replace,the tech told me the 498t is a ceramic pickup.I knew then and there I am wasting my time talking to him.Had a few other eperiences too ,similiar stuff ,talking with techs.I'm sure there are good ones out there as well,I just don't want to take the chance with one.

Thats why I like to learn as much as I can ,posting alot on forums.There again,I need to realize I have no clue as to the knowledge the other party has with guitars,so I like to get alot of opinions and see if they all kind of lead me to a certain direction.

If there is a decent guitar shop nearby, maybe you could try some different pickups in other guitars. They probably won't sound exactly the same in your guitar, but it would help you to pinpoint the tone you're after.

Sales people usually are glad to help with this sort of stuff, if they think you might buy from them. :)

If there is a decent guitar shop nearby' date=' maybe you could try some different pickups in other guitars. They probably won't sound exactly the same in your guitar, but it would help you to pinpoint the tone you're after.

Sales people usually are glad to help with this sort of stuff, if they think you might buy from them. :)[/quote']

Yep

They won't have an old amp like mine,but may get somewheres

• 10 years later...

Well I play my other guitars too.

Its not my only guitar.And I think I'd like it more if I can find a way to get it more to the sound of the others.

I research things alot before doing anything,in hopes I don't make costly errors.

If you don't care for my messages,I don't have any problems if you ignore them.

Something they maybe didn't teach in college?

Hey Randy, the more they rant the less they actually know.

The more they spew, the more its a case of(the lights are on and nobody's home)

someone is disrespectful to someone, Im gonna call them out

4 years in college and totally clueless

Randy pay no attention to folks like that

learn on your own and align yourself with positive people

cause f nuts only talks

...what do you mean by "more usable" is the original tone of that guitar really unusable?

I have a studio that rearely leaves its case and I dont find her unusable... I just like my other lester better. I wouldnt go as far asa try to change the studio to sound like any of my other guitars... it has a sound of her own, and if I don't sell her, I will be happy to have a guitar that doesn't sound the same.

Ever wanted a strat that played like a gibson... felt like a gibson... and looked like a gibson? Get a gibson.

If you want a les paul that plays, sounds, looks and feels like a strat (or whatever guitar you may wish for) just buy that guitar and forget about the lester.

If it sounds like **** its unusable.

Try Dark Moon Pickups in New York. Mark is super cool to deal with and he may be able to shed some light on how to get your guitar sounding the way you want it. remember you asked a question that is subjective to preference in a public forum, so you ARE going to get some answers that you may not like or that you can't use. don't take offence to someone that likes the sound of any guitar or gear....as stated before its subjective to taste. in closing at least give Mark at Dark Moon a call.

Good Luck, hope it helps

That’s super funny, I got 2 negative feedbacks for what I thought was good advice, and writing LOL to a comment that I thought was funny. Why did I get negative feedback? Because I didn’t check the date of the OG post? Negative feed back for honest advice about how to help someone......that’s so cool......lesson learned.....don’t offer any help or advice to anyone, just read and stay quiet......awesome forum! ........here goes ......are you ready? LOL =D>

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you like the way the pickups sound then don't do a damn thing to your guitar until something craps out. If you just can't stand to hear another note because you think the pickups are crappy, then change em... and even then, think on it for some time before you go and do it.

Totally agree. I'd even add that before changing pickups, it is good practice to play with pickup height and in some cases adjust the pole pieces. I find that sometimes these small adjustment is forgotten and people end up writing off a pickup without giving it a chance. This is a mistake that I've almost made in the past and I'm glad one tech helped me avoid said mistake. It makes a huge difference and it costs nothing. These days I only swap pickups or electronics once I exhaust virtually all possible usable adjustments.

Edit: Oh I didn't realize this was such an old thread. I'm so sorry!!! I'm obviously new here.

Ha! I didn't look at the OP date either. But hey, sometimes new people

come aboard, and find a thread with comments that might help them

even years later. I've seen the same issues come up over and over...

People think Gibson pickups must be junk, because of some comment

they read somewhere. It's like that on other fora, so here's my post anyway

for the benefit of Mr. Kite....

+1 on the Gibson '57 classic plus for a bridge p'up.

I think it would be dynamite as a neck pickup also.

But I personally don't understand why you can't find your tone with the 498T...

using the controls that you have on your guitar or on your amp. Turn the volume

back a bit, roll the tone control toward the middle, that's what those are suppose

to do.

Also, there's no reason to use that pickup if you get the smooth tones you want

from the neck p'up. Gibson 490R is a great pickup, is spite of what some guys

might say. I'd use the neck p'up for the songs where you need that classic tone

and use the bridge p'up to give it some edge, which is what it's designed to do.

Have you ever considered using an EQ pedal in your f/x loop? Cheaper than

replacing p'ups, and you can stomp it when you use that pickup, and turn it off

when you use something else. So you can set the EQ pedal to give you the midrange

you want, and pay half what the cost of a new high quality pickup would be.

I like using mine as a clean boost as well.

Archived