Gibson Brands Forums

Considering a DSM Dreadnought.

IMF

I am looking to buy my first acoustic and see that Gibson do an entry level DSM, I unfortunately have not found dealer with one in yet but wondered if anyone in the forum can advise as to how goo a guitar it is for the money. I have tried a Martin DX 1K which was impressive and was wondering how it would compare, is the DSM worth chasing down to try (at the moment I can get either for the same price).

Any help would be appreciated.

My opinion is that you would be better off looking into one of the Epiphohe Masterbuilt guitars. I rank them between the DSM and the USA built Gibsons. The DSM series are nice guitars but for the price I think you get a better built guitar and better tone from the Epiphone Masterbuilts. I can't personaly comment on the Martin DX 1K since I havent played one.

I dig the DSM stuff. I loved the Hog one I played a wee while back. Think the middle ground between Gibson and Taylor and you're right there. Vibey, characterful tone with neat, modern design and exacting build. Great pickup systems in the electro models, too.

In the same price range you can purchase a Chinese manufactured Guild, and let me tell you they are amazing. They are all solid wood with hide glue and impeccable finishes. I would never guess them to be made in China if I didn't already know it.

I would stay away from the Martins at that level as many have composite necks - I think the suggestion to look at Epiphone Master Built guitars is another great consideration.

ball, I own a Chinese built Guild F20E parlour which is absolutely exceptional. Amazing value too, £550 or so for the guitar, a lovely tweed case and a factory fitted Fishman Acoustic Matrix Natural I.

It is impeccably finished, fretted beautifully and was set up brilliantly right out of the box. I only picked it up as an inexpensive parlour to write with on the tourbus, but it has become one of my favourite guitars and makes nightly stage appearances when my band is on the road. Very vibey little guit too, brilliant for writing fingerstyle or bluesy stuff with.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on the Epi Masterbilts... for give or take £300/400, a solid body Mahogany/Rosewood?! I think I'd best head and try one soon!

Talking about Guilds, I really like the look of the D-55. There's one at a store locally, I think I'm going to have to go and try it! Has anyone got any experience of these (especially compared to the J45rw/ AJ)...? GAS GAS GAS!

Oh, and sorry. Unintentionally mini hijack of thread, and about Non-Gibsons, oops!

I've owned 4 Guild D55s in my lifetime. '79, '80, '01, '03.

The '79 was ok. It was boarderline neck reset and I traded it in.

The '80 was the best sounding/playing guitar I've ever owned and probably the second best guitar I ever heard. Unfortunately I traded it in for my first Gibson acoustic ('94 Hog J45). Biggest regret of my life.

The '01 Great sound, but never felt right.

The '03 Is as close to the '80 as anything else I've tried. Great guitar. I'll never part with it.

The only draw back for me is the long scale neck. I prefer the J-45's shorter scale. But, for volume and clarity my D55 puts my J45RW to shame.

One suggestion. Look for a DV-52. You can get one for much less than a D55. Less bling, but right up there with the D55 for sound. I picked one up off ebay. It was fantastic, but it suffer a small crack in shipping and I returned it. I picked up another for a song (needed a bridge reglue), It's the instrument I play the most.

*BTW: Guild is owned by the "F" company. As far as the dates: '01 and '03 are estimates. No serial # data available and the neck/tail blocks aren't stamped.

here's my take for what its worth...i am sure that the DSM is a SOLID built guitar.

its canadian made if im not mistaken and in my opinion Canada puts out a great product...aka larivee...not to mention countless other brands...

let me ask you this...why the DSM??

is it the price?

or features?

because for the same price or roughly the same price you can get a genuine USA gibson acoustic on the used market.

i just bought an '01 Gibson L-00 made in Bozeman, Montana for like a grand...it took me a bit of searching but i found it...and i think it was better than buying a new DSM for the same price...just food for thought is all...good luck!

one more thing on the DSM i just did a little fact checking and it turns out that the DSM has a bolt on neck??

i dont know how i feel about that...to me bolt on necks should be on a fender electric...thats it...

same price you could get a Martin D15...

i say keep looking until you find something you will truly cherish...if you cant afford something yet...and have other guitars you can play i say wait another month...scrounge up some more cash and upgrade your choice...this way in three years you wont say to yourself...man i wish i got a...instead...

i hate the idea of buying guitars just to outgrow them and want more later on...i would rather wait a little longer and get a better guitar that i can grow into and grow with...just my two cents

Mr Newhaven

Very helpful, You are right I was looking at an entry levle Gibson, after I got my Les Paul I knew you've got to pay for the good gear and it's worth it. I have looked at pre-owed guitars and unfortunately not found very much at all and no gibsons unless they are '80 / '90's versions going higher than list. The way the £ is against the $ as well prices are going up but as I said earlier not seen one to try, my local music shop owner tells me Gibson are changing their marketing and distribution in the Uk resulting in fewer outlets but bigger one's (enhanced shopping experience I believe the expression is). I think I will just keep saving and looking for the right one. I am over in florida next year and was considering checking out guitar shops (my wife and kids are really looking forward to that element of the holiday).

My favoite guitar player, Russ Barenberg, who for years has played a couple J-45's, bought an Epi Masterbuilt and uses it out it public. I tried one and thought it was a fine guitar for the money, but I have my sights on a J-45 for considerably more money than the Epi.

the Epi masterbilts are ridiculous value for money. An all-solid, cased guitar that is beautifully put together, looks great and sounds stunning for £350?I'd recommend them to anyone looking to bag a great guitar for as little loot as poss.

I actually find the Chinese Guilds more consistent than the US ones. I have played one D55 that was absolutely interstellar, but two others that were utter dogs.

the Epi masterbilts are ridiculous value for money. An all-solid' date=' cased guitar that is beautifully put together, looks great and sounds stunning for £350?I'd recommend them to anyone looking to bag a great guitar for as little loot as poss.

I actually find the Chinese Guilds more consistent than the US ones. I have played one D55 that was absolutely interstellar, but two others that were utter dogs.[/quote']

agreed on all counts. there's a d55 a the store by my place that sounds like its being played underwater and a gad30 that has no character what-so-ever. the materbuilts are a bit hit and miss (mostly hit) as well but my aj500m is a good one. soooo loud and overtone city.

the Epi masterbilts are ridiculous value for money. An all-solid' date=' cased guitar that is beautifully put together, looks great and sounds stunning for £350?I'd recommend them to anyone looking to bag a great guitar for as little loot as poss.[/quote']

+1. You just have to hoof around until you find one.

The Martin DX range is OK but not for me. I considered both 6 and 12ers. A good friend of mine has the DX dreadnought model and it sounds great with him but personally I'd go for the Epi. Also look at the Yamaha L series stuff.

The 12er I did not like at all. My used Tak is far better....IMHO as is my cheap but remarkably good Adam Black.

Each to his own.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a DSM a couple of weeks ago and am really happy with it. The spruce front is high gloss and the mahogony back, sides and neck are a satin finish. The build is flawless and it has a nice bright tone. I don't have a big shop close enough to sit and try out loads of different guitars so, like many people, I trawled through reviews, specs and prices on the internet before making a shortlist and eventually landing a good deal. The DSM is a straightforward model, simple good looks and a tone I like. I haven't had an acoustic for a couple of years so it'll help me get back to basics.

OK....I'll throw a monkey wrench into the works......just recently I bought a used Parkwood. It is made in Korea, it has solid flame maple back and sides a a very tight grain spruce top. It originally sold for $799, so was not cheap for asian made guitar. I play it ALL the time now. It is my so called 'beater' and I take it with me to the coffeshop and play, outdoors, etc. Parkwood is the upper end of Cort guitars. Unbelievable fit and finish. I've taken it to a few jams, and the brightness of the maple really cuts through all the Dreadnaught Drone......Check out the Parkwoods, if you can find one used, they are an unbelievable bargain. I'm also with the guys who recommend the China Guilds. The local store over here is selling them at over 50% off, to try to clear the walls for next years models. I'm sure the parent company is contributing......I tried an OM size all mahogany version over there that was amazing.......good luck in your search....here is a pic of the Parkwood

large_340fm.gif

Fact is, whether they be Parkwoods, Guild, Epi Masterbilts or others, many fine, affordable instruments are being made in China today.

I can't speak specifically about all of them, but I can give you another another recommendation for the Masterbilts. I have four of them, and three Gibsons right now. The Masterbilts stand up well in most aspects. They are more modest looking, for sure, but they do sound pretty darn good. Many people would be very happy to have one as their only instrument (though most of us here would agree that ONLY a Gibson is good enough).

I provide this recommendation with one important caveat: from time to time, I find recent gloss topped Masterbilts that don't seem to be up to the standards of the satin finished models in the selection of the woods used. Most of the time, the Masterbilts use wood of excellent appearance (it's a shame they don't have a shiney, nitro finish!), but ocassionally I find gloss mahogany models with VERY plain looking wood. They might sound OK, I don't know, but they look chintzy by any measure.

By the way, for the last year or so, Masterbilts have not been sold with a case as a rule. They still do have a bone nut and a very well executed compensated bone saddle.

Red 333

PS--I was lucky enough to get one of the rare, discontinued 12- fret AJ500RC models recently. WOW!

Archived