Gibson Brands Forums

Proper care for baked maple boards?

bobouz

Has anyone come across credible information related to caring for Gibson's new baked maple fretboards? I recently acquired a '60s Tribute LP with a very dark baked maple board. Should these be oiled at any kind of interval? If so, would standard treatments such as Fret Doctor be safe? I'm guessing not, but haven't yet seen any guidelines that specifically address this. Would greatly appreciate any fact based info.

I haven't seen anything but to me it's an unsealed piece of wood, so I clean my boards with oil whenever i change my strings, I wipe it on work it in and then wipe it off. This has worked for all my guitars including my baked maple.

Hello Bobouz! I use Planet Waves Lemon oil on my CC's fingerboard. Use only small amount, do not soak the whole fingerboard, just lightly coat it using a pure cotton rag. Do not apply it often: every three months or so! Nicely darkens the board. Cheers... Bence

Many manufacturer's recommend raw linseed oil (never boiled linseed oil!) for fretboards versus lemon oil which sometimes contains alcohol and certain esthers that actually DRY the wood instead of conditioning it. Guild Guitars, Taylor, and Heritage Guitars are some of the sources cited for using raw linseed oil.

I don't think I've ever used any kind of cleaner on a fretboard of any guitar I've ever owned, other than wiping it with a soft dry cloth now and again and I've never had any kind of problem with a fretboard. So my question is is it really necessary to clean a fretboard at all? I always make sure I have clean hands before I play but that's all.

I don't think I've ever used any kind of cleaner on a fretboard of any guitar I've ever owned, other than wiping it with a soft dry cloth now and again and I've never had any kind of problem with a fretboard. So my question is is it really necessary to clean a fretboard at all? I always make sure I have clean hands before I play but that's all.

If the wood is not sealed it is best to occasionally condition it as its natural oils are lost over time and can eventually lead to problems. These problems are not going to show up over night, it's likely to take some time to happen. If you live in a very dry environment then certainly condition the wood on a regular basis.

Fretboards can dry out, sometimes causing frets to protrude. Boards can also crack in worst case scenarios (ebony more so than rosewood). I consider periodic fretboard maintenance a regular part of caring for an instrument.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived