Gibson Brands Forums

Golden Stones

j45nick

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to see the stones before I was old enough to drive, (I owned a car, but didn't have a license...and I drove it to the San Jose Civic Auditorium), I recall it was winter...so December 1965

Saw them again, (with Joan Baez and Jefferson Airplane before Grace Slick), at The Cow Palace...had to be 1966.

The Cow Palace is a big venue...but the Civic Auditorium only holds like 3500 people.

Your East Bay location in the mid-60's had to be the ideal spot for one of the greatest rock scenes ever: the Fillmore, the Avalon, and dozens of small venues. Not to mention the great bands, (including Peter Wheat and the Breadmen, of course, along with lesser lights such the Jefferson Airplane in the Signe Anderson days).

Your East Bay location in the mid-60's had to be the ideal spot for one of the greatest rock scenes ever: the Fillmore, the Avalon, and dozens of small venues. Not to mention the great bands, (including Peter Wheat and the Breadmen, of course, along with lesser lights such the Jefferson Airplane in the Signe Anderson days).

HAHAHAHA......not sure about PW&BM...but it was a great location for the music scene in the 60's.

Saw them in 1966 just after the release of Aftermath. I still remember vivdly their doing Under My Thumb. BUT...you're not talking about the real Rolling Stones without Brian Jones. The Richards/Jagger band was something different as Gram Parsons' ghost, if only it could be summoned from the vasty deep, could tell you.

Just out of an all nite acoustic kitchen jam.

Gibsons played :

'04 J-45 Historic Collection.

The Hummingbird.

The '63 SJ.

The '53 J-45 (sounded incredible tonite).

The new necked '66 C&W.

And my 12 fret.

No Stones tunes, but good wine and a series of Jack D's.

I'm pretty loaded folks.

Appreciate you old rockers a lot.

Zomby – you were there.

You were all there.

You younger lads also.

Keep rockarollin' -

Saw them one time along with half a million of my close friends at the Altamont Speedway. Memorable.

I got my mom to accompany me into the theater to see Gimmie Shelter, it was rated R with the movie "Klute" I think in 1971.

Klute came on first..i wonder what went though my mom's old world Greek village head. She sat through that & left me there.

After I saw Gimmie Shelter I was very reluctant to go to my first concert anywhere expecting that kind of s%#t.

I got my mom to accompany me into the theater to see Gimmie Shelter, it was rated R with the movie "Klute" I think in 1971.

Klute came on first..i wonder what went though my mom's old world Greek village head. She sat through that & left me there.

After I saw Gimmie Shelter I was very reluctant to go to my first concert anywhere expecting that kind of s%#t.

Shocking, but strong film - must have been stunning for a young lad.

Don't understand - she sat through, , , and left you there ?

Shocking, but strong film - must have been stunning for a young lad.

Don't understand - she sat through, , , and left you there ?

Cheers

She sat through "Klute" and wanted us to leave after that..but I insisted it was the Rolling Stones I was there to see.

I wouldn't leave,she upped and left. I was about 12 or maybe 13 but really big for my age so they let me in under her supervision.

She knew I was serious about the Beatles & the Rolling Stones..(as she went out looking for the Rolling stones album with "the cake" on it for me).

I really didn't understand Klute much then except that the girl in it (Jane Fonda) had me mesmerized.

Keith's background vocal and guitar made this my fav Stones tune ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itu-VckeLL4&feature=player_detailpage

Andrew Oldham they're manager locked them into a room and said you aren't coming out till you've written a song.

I vaguely remember that they were in there a long time from what I read.. And this is what they wrote.

I always thought this song sounded so amatuer (especially compared to what was coming out of Mr.Lennon & McCartney..).

But I always thought it such a significant song.

They had never done it before..starting with this amatuer thing..and within a year or two they were writing pure gold.

Its really such an encouraging thing ,brilliance does not just come spitting out.

P.S.I always thought Keith Richards background vocals were THE BEST I can't tell you how much better I hear it.

Jagger double tracking himself was a waste.

Cheers

She sat through "Klute" and wanted us to leave after that..but I insisted it was the Rolling Stones I was there to see.

I wouldn't leave,she upped and left. I was about 12 or maybe 13 but really big for my age so they let me in under her supervision.

She knew I was serious about the Beatles & the Rolling Stones..(as she went out looking for the Rolling stones album with "the cake" on it for me).

I really didn't understand Klute much then except that the girl in it (Jane Fonda) had me mesmerized.

I see.

Didn't know Klute and didn't think of the double program. We don't have dp's here.

Did your dear mom find the neat soon smashed cake, , , their best tasting.

My own followed The Fab a fair share of the path, but never came near Stones. Don't remember her ever speaking the words.

Saw them in 1966 just after the release of Aftermath. I still remember vivdly their doing Under My Thumb. BUT...you're not talking about the real Rolling Stones without Brian Jones. The Richards/Jagger band was something different as Gram Parsons' ghost, if only it could be summoned from the vasty deep, could tell you.

The "real" Rolling Stones started by Jones were a cover band trying to do American blues as authentically as possible. They had great success with that, but soon realized they would need original material in order to coninue. That's when Richards and Jagger began to take over the band as Jones couldn't write songs, and then later, as you say, Gram Parsons had a big effect on Richards. So, I guess the "real" Rolling Stones can mean different things to different people. Most Stones fans find their later 60s early 70s albums to be their best work, so I think it would be hard to say those weren't the "real" Stones...

I see.

Didn't know Klute and didn't think of the double program. We don't have dp's here.

Did your dear mom find the neat soon smashed cake, , , their best tasting.

My own followed The Fab a fair share of the path, but never came near Stones. Don't remember her ever speaking the words.

She did..she still remembers the record with "to kekie" as she says in Greek.

The song she actually sang some to was "Let it be" which she got for me and I played over & over..

She did..she still remembers the record with "to kekie" as she says in Greek.

The song she actually sang some to was "Let it be" which she got for me and I played over & over..

Great - when it comes to cakes, mothers just don't fail.

The "real" Rolling Stones started by Jones were a cover band trying to do American blues as authentically as possible. They had great success with that, but soon realized they would need original material in order to coninue. That's when Richards and Jagger began to take over the band as Jones couldn't write songs, and then later, as you say, Gram Parsons had a big effect on Richards. So, I guess the "real" Rolling Stones can mean different things to different people. Most Stones fans find their later 60s early 70s albums to be their best work, so I think it would be hard to say those weren't the "real" Stones...

I have always said if it were not for Mick Tayor the Rolling Stones would have disappeared with the 60's..(not a fact just the way I see it)

They were a Blues band..then a very artistic Pop band...a Rock & Roll band...then I wish they'd not made another record.

(I guess with Mick Taylor it includes Nicky Hopkins..Jimmy Miller..Gram Parsons..and all the other input..)

Archived