Gibson Brands Forums

Golden Stones

j45nick

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just watchign an interview yesterday with Mick and Keef yesterday.

Gotta say Mick is looking a heluva lot better than Keef these days .... but, who cares, HAPPY BIRHTDAY BOYS !

Nick, welcome back mate, about time ! [thumbup]

I recently heard an interview with Keef where when asked he gave 1963 as the date of the start of the Stones as that is the year Bill and Charlie joined up and they signed the contract with Decca. He talked about a 50th anniversary tour next year but it does not look like it is going to be near as extensive as the Licks tour.

Best Stones tour ever - hands down 1972.

I recently heard an interview with Keef where when asked he gave 1963 as the date of the start of the Stones as that is the year Bill and Charlie joined up and they signed the contract with Decca. He talked about a 50th anniversary tour next year but it does not look like it is going to be near as extensive as the Licks tour.

Agree that 1963 may be considered the start of the "real" Rolling Stones with the "real" line-up, but the Marquee Club gig as "The Rollin' Stones" has to be seen as a seminal date, if only for historical purposes.

Went to see them at Angels Stadium that year, Saw the first 15 seconds or so from about 10 feet off center stage "LIGHTS OUT" When I came to in the first aid station after the show I learned that both my gf who is now Nick's neighbor and I had missed the whole show after someone behind us thew a beer bottle and I took one for for my mates ( I think they were aimin' for Mick, he was right in front of me.) in the back of the noggin. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. Thanks Nick.

I went to see the stones before I was old enough to drive, (I owned a car, but didn't have a license...and I drove it to the San Jose Civic Auditorium), I recall it was winter...so December 1965

Saw them again, (with Joan Baez and Jefferson Airplane before Grace Slick), at The Cow Palace...had to be 1966.

The Cow Palace is a big venue...but the Civic Auditorium only holds like 3500 people.

Was just watchign an interview yesterday with Mick and Keef yesterday.

Gotta say Mick is looking a heluva lot better than Keef these days .... but, who cares, HAPPY BIRHTDAY BOYS !

Nick, welcome back mate, about time ! [thumbup]

I have seen both Mick and Keith up very close at concerts (actually high fived Keith one time as he was doing that to fans while crossing to the center stage mid show). Keith looks like hell, but that's no news. I was stunned at just how bad Jagger looks in person. It was pretty scary. He looks much, much better on TV, from a distance, etc. But up close? Call animal control!

I have seen both Mick and Keith up very close at concerts (actually high fived Keith one time as he was doing that to fans while crossing to the center stage mid show). Keith looks like hell, but that's no news. I was stunned at just how bad Jagger looks in person. It was pretty scary. He looks much, much better on TV, from a distance, etc. But up close? Call animal control!

Dude, they're almost 70 years old! As in cars, it ain't the model year, it's the mileage on the clock. They've definitely done more than 12K miles per year........

Agree that 1963 may be considered the start of the "real" Rolling Stones with the "real" line-up, but the Marquee Club gig as "The Rollin' Stones" has to be seen as a seminal date, if only for historical purposes.

I'm currently reading Bill Wyman's biography, and he has a pretty comprehensive history of the band's origins, along with what was happening with music in London and greater England during the late 50s and early 60s. Lots of stuff I had seen in quick summaries over the years are explained in much more detail (for better or worse). So, yeah, I think that date is probably good. I guess one could quibble and use the date they first rehearsed, or the date they first decided to be a band, etc., but I'll leave that type of mental masturbation to the Beatles nuts.

Dude, they're almost 70 years old! As in cars, it ain't the model year, it's the mileage on the clock. They've definitely done more than 12K miles per year........

Yep, it's definitely the miles! I was just very, very surprised by how much different he looks up close.

Speaking of the miles vs. years, I remember seeing U2 about 10 or so years ago, and I think they were in their early 40s by then. I couldn't get over how healthy, young, and fit they all looked. I had never seen rock stars without all the miles!

Thanks Giving weekend in 1969 at...The Palm Beach POP Festival at the Palm Beach International raceway.

In the cold rain and mud it was 4am when the Stones show started....that's all I can remember.....

Lots of great music at that one....

Janis Joplin and Johnny Winter jamming with Vanilla Fudge..... unforgettable! [blink]

The Stones raise their ugly heads again haha

Not going to get into any banter here regarding Mick n Keef...AGAIN but the above pic reminded me of Joanathen Ross ( an English comedian/ presenter ) describing being at a function with Mick Jagger.

he said Mick was stood in front of him with his back to him, and Ross thought.." Who's this 14 yr old boy infront of me" he was looking at Micks waist in his tight fitting trousers ( Ross or Woss'y for us Brits is quite camp )

then he says Mick turned around and Ross got the fright of his life..haha..

the way he told it was very funny.

Glad to see you back btw Nick

Yep, it's definitely the miles! I was just very, very surprised by how much different he looks up close.

Speaking of the miles vs. years, I remember seeing U2 about 10 or so years ago, and I think they were in their early 40s by then. I couldn't get over how healthy, young, and fit they all looked. I had never seen rock stars without all the miles!

Well, even Robert Redford doesn't look so good up close these days.

I try not to look in the mirror very much anymore. I have a picture of my 20-year-old self (1967) with my old J-45 on my corkboard, but it's hard to recognize much of him in the 65-year-old face staring back at me from the mirror. That guitar, on the other hand, looks much better these days........

I try not to look in the mirror very much anymore. I have a picture of my 20-year-old self (1967) with my old J-45 on my corkboard, but it's hard to recognize much of him in the 65-year-old face staring back at me from the mirror. That guitar, on the other hand, looks much better these days........

I know the feeling!

At the risk of belaboring the point, I was just surprised how he looked much worse in person than on TV from the same period - I wasn't comparing him to his youth.

HAHAHAHA..... man, do I know what you mean! I'm noticed in the last few years that the guy in the mirror looks an awful lot like my old man, and not much like me!

On our first or second visit to London in early 90's we passed a bookstore and there was a book signing by Bill Wyman of his biograpthy..!

I think it was only in paperback and when we got to him he was fancying my wife & I noodled in to ask him how come the book stops at 1969 (I think was the year it ends) and he says that will have to be for the next book won't it..

I used to love the Rolling Stones but after Mick Taylor left I'd buy the albums and they sucked so bad I was tossing was them into the garbage... 1964-1974 ...

Doesn't matter how they look as long as they look right - and they do.

My big Stones moment wasn't a concert or Jumping Jack Flash or She a Rainbow on the teen dance floor with some goddess.

It was over 30 years ago when I woke up to a letter from my girlfriend saying : Hey – I'm at a party, , , , at Keith Richards apartment on Manhattan. He's right behind the sofa where I sit and is wearing a Rolling Stones t-shirt. There's a saxophone and a piano here and the stereo plays Stones.

Man that made me spit out the cornflakes. That damn chick had a magic stick back them - something irresistible about her that opened doors.

Still have the paper (once Mr. Richards) – it's a precious item for me. Still know the sweet girl too by the way, , , she always regarded it as a detail.

Nick – did you ever see the band live ?

Thanks Giving weekend in 1969 at...The Palm Beach POP Festival at the Palm Beach International raceway.

In the cold rain and mud it was 4am when the Stones show started....that's all I can remember.....

Lots of great music at that one....

Janis Joplin and Johnny Winter jamming with Vanilla Fudge..... unforgettable! [blink]

Sounds terrific - love old eyewitness accounts -

Danvill rolled the rock too. . .

Sounds terrific - love old eyewitness accounts -

Danvill rolled the rock too. . .

This is NOT my account....but the guy who wrote it was there when I was there, (written in 1999):

The Stones played at the San Jose Civic Auditorium. The place holds around 3,000 people. They did two shows that night. We went to the early one. It's been 33 years since that night and although some of the details have faded, memories I do have are clear as a bell. I will never forget them. That concert is one of the most important concerts I ever attended. What I do remember is this...

Satisfaction was their latest hit and of course they played it live. Other songs I remember clearly are That's How Strong My Love Is (Brian played electric organ on that one) Get Off of my Cloud., Mercy Mercy (one of my favorites) Play With Fire and The Last Time.

With the stage curtains closed behind him, as the announcer was in the process of introducing the Stones, it seemed like Mick and Kieth were tugging at the curtains which in turn made the young audience react in a wall of screams.

At this time, Brian was very much involved with the shows and he seemed to be enjoying himself. I feel so privileged to been able to have seen Brian in concert. He is a Gem in Music History.

The stage line up was Bill on the far left, Brian next to him, Keith far right, Charlie on a platform, and of course Mick all over the place.

I distinctly remember Mick doing his James Brown imitation dance and going from one end of the stage to the other. At one point, he took off his jacket, stood on the edge of the stage and swung it out toward the audience as if he was going to fling it to a lucky fan in the seats. Of course he didn't and the jacket kept going until it landed on his shoulder. I think he fooled everyone.

by Bobby Asea, San Jose, CA

In 1964 at the age of 13, I wore the grooves off those first three Stones albums. Will always appreciate their contribution of exposing young white kids to the blues. After that, very few highlights for me from the Stones (& now consider them a complete turn off), but thankfully the Clapton-Beck Yardbirds carried the torch until the real stuff could be sourced out. Couldn't just go to Amazon & sample tracks in those days. Oh btw, welcome back Mr Nick!

Doesn't matter how they look as long as they look right - and they do.

My big Stones moment wasn't a concert or Jumping Jack Flash or She a Rainbow on the teen dance floor with some goddess.

It was over 30 years ago when I woke up to a letter from my girlfriend saying : Hey – I'm at a party, , , , at Keith Richards apartment on Manhattan. He's right behind the sofa where I sit and is wearing a Rolling Stones t-shirt. There's a saxophone and a piano here and the stereo plays Stones.

Man that made me spit out the cornflakes. That damn chick had a magic stick back them - something irresistible about her that opened doors.

Still have the paper (once Mr. Richards) – it's a precious item for me. Still know the sweet girl too by the way, , , she always regarded it as a detail.

Nick – did you ever see the band live ?

Never saw them live. We've always been out of sync, even on their modern tours.

I don't mean to be naive, but I had a girlfriend once with that type of "magic touch" that got her in everywhere with the rockers...... [glare]

I think she left me for some musician.

Never saw them live. We've always been out of sync, even on their modern tours.

I don't mean to be naive, but I had a girlfriend once with that type of "magic touch" that got her in everywhere with the rockers...... [glare]

I think she left me for some musician.

I hope you didn't marry her..... my first wife was a groupie..... i think she had a 'thing' about drummers!

Archived