Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG vs Les Paul Standard

matonanjin

I've decided it is time to upgrade. Been playing for about 6 months on a Yamaha Pacifica. All my heroes (SRV, Clapton) play Strats and that is the way I had decided to go. But I went into a store to show my wife one and by accident picked up an SG. And fell in love. I love the way it felt in my hands. Was already to buy that but to confuse me a local store has a used Les Paul Standard that is mint. It feels the same and is less money. I figure I can buy the Les Paul and a new amp for little more than the SG alone. (But money really isn't a major deciding factor.) But clearly I need to move in a hurry if I decide on the Les PAul.

For a chubby, retired guy learning guitar is there a compelling reason to go with SG or Les Paul over the other one?

I've decided it is time to upgrade. Been playing for about 6 months on a Yamaha Pacifica. All my heroes (SRV, Clapton) play Strats and that is the way I had decided to go. But I went into a store to show my wife one and by accident picked up an SG. And fell in love. I love the way it felt in my hands. Was already to buy that but to confuse me a local store has a used Les Paul Standard that is mint. It feels the same and is less money. I figure I can buy the Les Paul and a new amp for little more than the SG alone. (But money really isn't a major deciding factor.) But clearly I need to move in a hurry if I decide on the Les PAul.

For a chubby, retired guy learning guitar is there a compelling reason to go with SG or Les Paul over the other one?

For a near-retirement, scrawny guy who's been playing off/on for about 40 yrs (but still not very good...a 20-yr lay-off didn't help)...I find my SG to be an amazing guitar in terms of fit and feel...sheer playability. My LesPaul is very nice too (and I"m still loving my Hagstrom Viking)...but the SG is somehow easier to play (i.e., makes me sound better than I really am). The Les Paul, like an American Strat are icons (and every guitarist should own one)...but the SG is truly something special to play.

Get both...problem solved.

If the condition of the LP is good, I would go with the LP. Everyone has their own preference though.

The SG is also a very good guitar, usually lighter. Also upper fret access will be easier on the SG because of the double cutaway.

To me, the tone of a LP is better than the SG. Also I like the carved top of the LP over the flat top SG. I'm not sure what neck configurations are on the two. I like the 60's slim taper neck. Also I never liked the cable plug on the top of the guitar. Too easy to break if you get a little wild with your strumming.

You really have to try both and see which one feels and sounds better to you.

Good luck with your decision.

Play the Les Paul.

If it doesn't grab you then buy the SG. If it grabs you buy the Les Paul.

Sorry to state the obvious but that's really the best way to decide.

Everyone here pretty much prefers one over the other. You have to choose which one feels 'Right' for you. We can't know how you feel.

P.

It all depends on which model of Les Paul or SG too.

I have info on why I just recently picked up a new 2012 SG '61 Reissue in this thread.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/86267-just-joined/page__p__1185599__fromsearch__1#entry1185599

Slim 60's neck, and it outplays my '73 Les Paul Deluxe I had brand new back in '73.

The new SG I have is the best guitar I have ever played, right along there with an original 60s SG I played as mentioned in my thread above.

14.jpg

I think Pippy pretty much nailed it.

Play the LP, play the SG. No hand-finished neck will be quite the same, so that and the weight distribution will probably help you make the decision.

Personally I don't care at all for the LP and I've never owned one even when I've seen nice ones friends have let me play.

I think the SG is the perfect solidbody guitr design since it works - fits my shape - so well either standing or sitting. It may lack some of the LP's potential sustain (tone is awfully subjective and will have a lot to do with other variables like your amp), but to me it's easier for my right hand technique whether flatpicking or fingerpicking.

As for Fenders, excluding the company's bass offerings, I've not owned one in nearly 50 years of picking. They just don't feel right or "work" right - and I dislike whammies of any sort to the point I've disabled 'em on the Gretch I once owned as well as on a cupla other brands back in my olden days.

I also think "we" tend to make our buying decisions too often on looks or what somebody else or some given style has as a fad standard rather than the playability of a given instrument given our preferred setup and personal style of technique. Either the LP or SG will sound good, if slightly different, through a good amp.

m

A new LP standard goes for almost twice the price of a new SG standard. Even used the LP Standards are usally more than a new SG standard. IF the LP standard you are looking at is truely a standard and not some other model and in good condition it sounds like a very good deal. But you should choose what you like better, the better you like the more you'll play the more you play the more you will like.

I'd go SG. It's generally cheaper (a lot cheaper if you buy a faded model). It's lighter. It sounds great. And I know a couple of chubby guys who say it fits them well - physique wise. Can't lose with the SG I'd say.

Thanks for the responses and advice guys (and gals?).

I went with the Les Paul. No good reason other than it just felt right. [confused][thumbup]

Also got a Fender Blues Jr. [biggrin]

Congrats, but there is a saying on internet forums... "Pics, or it didn't happen". Of course we believe you, we're just gear junkies and it's a way to prod you to showing us pics of your new gear. [biggrin]

Archived