Gibson Brands Forums

New Artist - ZZ Ward

retrosurfer1959

So is anybody a fan of the new young artist ZZ Ward she described her music as Back Porch Hip-Hop Blues don't know if that's a genre yet but it should be she a cute little blonde with a bluesy voice and some good chops on guitar. she had a EP drop in May and her album is slotted to drop end of the month if you haven't heard her check it out she has a great sound and is even fun to watch.

Not my thing (mostly for the production value), but I did listen to a live acoustic song. At least we know she can actually sing and is not some auto tune phony. The studio stuff has her singing like a Beyonce wanna be with excessive vocal embellishment. Who thinks that's good?

Thanks Surf! She rocks!!

Ok... so maybe she does sound a bit like Adele decided to sing southern blues rock, but then I like Adele, too.

I ain't speaking for anyone else, but I loves me some southern blues rock!

For those who might wish to judge for themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzCBObZNQMI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4M3qQgXous&feature=relmfu

Thanks Chan good to know at least one person around here still recognizes talent. I saw this girl live a few weeks ago at Schubas tavern in Chicago and she and her band were amazing. A true new band that can actually perform live and do original Southern Rock and Blues with style and class. For those that can't see that or said she's just pop all I can say for you is I feel sorry for you. If you can't open your mind up enough to see something new and real i don't see how you can be musicians yourself. Well I guess that explains what's wrong with the music scene of today as well as this forum. Everybody is always *****ing that there's no new music today I think the music scene is doing fine it's the fan's I'm worried about...

Glad I could offer some support!

I didn't see the "pop" music OR the Beyonce tie in, either, but to each his/her own.

Did you watch the official music video? The song from that TV show? It's over polished. The live stuff, like those acoustic performances, are where her raw tallent shined.

Did you watch the official music video? The song from that TV show? It's over polished. The live stuff, like those acoustic performances, are where her raw tallent shined.

Ya' know, maybe today's "music" wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so pristine and compressed. Oh, and no AutoTune or voice embellishments.

Wait, then 75% of those artists would have a day job....

Electronic music and rap/hip hop are not my cup o' tea at all, but I still know that it's more or less the recording technique and the studio effects that make the commercial stuff hard for me to listen to.

I can easily stomach rap. But I can't stomach the sound producers go for these days.

I watched the first three videos that came up on a Google search, one was an interview and the other two I posted.

I hear Adele, not Beyonce, like I said. Do you not hear Adele in her vocal? [confused]

Ya know, today's music wouldn't suck so bad if all the people b!tching about how bad music is today would make better music themselves.

Bahahahahahahaha!!

Well said!

I owe you a plus... I used all mine in the "Ultimate Goal" thread.

Yeah the live versions sound pretty good. Glad I listened to them first. Comparing the studio version and the live version of "Put the Gun Down" for example there is a big difference. I don't know why the powers that be thought they needed to over-produce her like that. She sounds great raw and less-processed. Guess that happens when the "biz" takes control.

Yeah the live versions sound pretty good. Glad I listened to them first. Comparing the studio version and the live version of "Put the Gun Down" for example there is a big difference. I don't know why the powers that be thought they needed to over-produce her like that. She sounds great raw and less-processed. Guess that happens when the "biz" takes control.

I concur.

I watched the first three videos that came up on a Google search, one was an interview and the other two I posted.

I hear Adele, not Beyonce, like I said. Do you not hear Adele in her vocal? [confused]

Completely hear Adele.

She's really good,

I love the cajon too!

Archived