Gibson Brands Forums

Sign Of Them Times

J.R.M.30!

The other day I saw a story on 60 minutes about the unemployed. A key tidbit that they threw out was that if you're are not on social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc. ect.) than you are more or less irrelevant to an employer. I question this, if you're not working for those media facets why do you have to have some photo of you and you're hobbies to get a job. Sounds like discrimination in my opinion. Same goes with the police going after those who aren't on social media sites. I think it's pure laziness to just type in someone's name and consider them a canidate for a postion. Nevermind the other canidates who revealed resumes to the employer, oh I forgot resumes don't mean as much as they used to if any. [glare]

The state of Illinois just passed a law making it ILLEGAL for prospective (or current) employers to REQUIRE you to furnish them with your social media account information.

Good. Your social life (or lack thereof for Facebook junkies) should have no bearing on your eligibility for employment.

The state of Illinois just passed a law making it ILLEGAL for prospective (or current) employers to REQUIRE you to furnish them with your social media account information.

I was both surprised and happy this passed. Potential employers would use that info to hack accounts and spy on your hidden content. Talk about invasion of privacy (what little privacy we have left).

I've hired hundreds of people and not once have I check any social media sources for background info, and I never will. Well maybe if dem00n applies........

I'm in the same boat (sort of). I don't make the final decision, but I am part of the first set of interviewers and get a say whether the person gets that coveted second interview with the boss and I have never looked at someone's facebook/myspace/twitter.

When I heard employers look at that stuff I deleted my media accounts. Many of my friends did too. My new media accounts don't have links to my real name nor do I add strangers. No pics of me. Dates all altered. Most you'd discover is I have a dog and am exxcited about CERN discovering the Higgs Boson.

You can make so much up on FB, create a person who doesn't exist who is wholesome...kids started doing that to trick parents. Hell, I had a "secret journal" in case mom got curious as a kid. What makes employers think we won't adapt and have phonie accounts they can look at?

I don't think serious employers would care to look at FB.

Ive never required an employee to have a Facebook account or twitter although I always check them before I hire somebody. It's amazing how stupid people can be posting all the information about how stoned they were every weekend. Or worse showing pictures of all the cool stuff they stole when they left there last job. Ive even fired three employee's over the years based on Facebook information. One gave me a huge sob story about her sister losing a child in a car accident and then she posted a running blog of her ski trip that week and how great the slopes were without the long lines from the weekend. What was even dumber was she had even friended me so she knew I had her Facebook account. I couldn't help myself I posted looks great hope your having fun on her wall! Idiots next post was Oh man that's my boss, I told him I was at a funeral. there was a full page of LOL's and telling her she better start looking for a job. They were right about that at least.

You can make so much up on FB, create a person who doesn't exist who is wholesome...kids started doing that to trick parents. Hell, I had a "secret journal" in case mom got curious as a kid. What makes employers think we won't adapt and have phonie accounts they can look at?

I don't think serious employers would care to look at FB.

Oh yeah serious employers look at Facebook all the time, Why because people are Frigging Stupid and will put down all kinds of stuff. People don't just lie on Facebook they lie period. I worked as a Chief Technology Officer in a very large city one of my departments to staff technology people for was a Police Department. It required a polygraph test and a background investigation and over 60% of all applicants failed the polygraph test even after we gave them printed copies of the the questions that would be asked ahead of time. Hell we put the questions on drug use in the job advertisements in the newspaper most of the time. They would read the questions say everything was fine then go take the polygraph and then spill their gut's. One of the primary questions was marijuana use and that they would not be eligible for hire if they had used in the last two years NO EXCEPTIONS! Dozens of people would say sure that's fine no problem it's been twenty years since I smoked weed. BUZZ that's not the truth would you like to tell us when you last smoked marijuana well I smoked a joint yesterday or last week. And the test would stop and all the work was wasted because they couldn't be hired. Almost everyone of them afterword would say wow I didn't think they would really ask? or my favorite responses was, well I read on the internet that polygraphs were not accurate and if you just counted in your head they couldn't tell you were lying. Hell people were so stupid four or five of them got arrested during the polygraphs for admitting to warrants or even blurting out a criminal act they had recently done. One idiot when asked if he had ever stolen anything worth more than five hundred dollars said yeah, that he had stolen the truck he was driving from another state because he owned one just like it that had been repossessed and he just put his license plate on it so nobody knew about it. The idiot had driven it to the test so they had a officer check the vin number and sure enough it was stolen so were waiting for the results and they lead him out in handcuffs, and he actually looked at me and said I guess that means no job huh? that's why we check social media sites because people are actually this stupid. [scared]

That's why I was so thrilled when I was able to retire at 50 and do art full time - no more employee's to deal with. [thumbup]

I'm amazed that people think what they post is just between their friends. I have a friend who's teenagers have moved past Facebook and onto Twitter. They operate under the idea that most parents are still in the Facebook world and have not really discovered Twitter yet, which is true in some circles. However, my friend set up a basic Twitter account and found his son's Twitter is not blocked in any way. He has read me some AMAZING things that his son's friends have posted, thinking that no adults are privy to the info.

Rude awakening-dead ahead. [tongue]

Archived