Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton II vs. Epiphone ES-335 Pro

surfgreen

Hello all, seeking some expert advice on these 2 semi-hollows. I am solid body player at the moment, but looking into these guys. Both seem similar, but I just dont have the expertise to really see the pro's or con's of either. Can anyone shed any light on either or both of these 335 style Epi's?

Thanks!!

Beyond the obvious cosmetics, both carry humbuckers and are very similar in design. There may be numerous subtle differences based on factory of origin, year of manufacture, and so on, but the basic platform is the same. That said, side by side comparisons are your best bet as playability & tone will vary from one guitar to the next.

That is a hard choice to make.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE both guitars, and they are pretty similar functionally.

It comes down to aesthetics and price point, imo.

Epiphone-Sheraton-II-EB.jpgEpiphone-Limited-Edition-ES335-Pro-Ebony.jpg

I'd probably go with the ES-335 Pro, being a big fan of Gibson ES-335's.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Sheraton#Sheraton_II

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=ES-Series#ES-335_Pro

Better (PRO) pickups on the ES-335 PRO

personally prefer the maple neck on the Sheraton II

[confused]

AND the 335 PRO has coil taps. You can add them to a Sheraton if you want, but it's a stock feature on the 335 PRO, so if you want the option of single coil tones, that could be a deciding factor.

I played both (extensivly) ... I liked both ... and I bought the Sheraton. The big difference for me was the neck profile ... much more comfortable on the Sherry, and let's face it, if "bling is your thing" like it is for me, the Sheraton wins hands down! I really did not hear that much difference in the upgraded pickups, and I have P90 guitars up the wazoo now, so the coil-splitting was not that much of an issue foe me.

That all being said, you really ought to play both, Surf. They are close, very close ... one of them will end up speaking to you in a sweeter voice. Have fun making your crossover into the broader world of semi-hollowbodies!

Jim

Just pure curiosity... There is no golden rule that x-country is better than another I know...

I am partial to Sheratons and when I was in the market for one, I wanted one from Korea mostly because of the 5 pieces neck.

Also the shape of the Dot and Sheraton changed slightly when production moved to China: a bit smaller body but more curvy at the ears.

Also regular Dot have no neck binding which was a big no no for me.

Overall both are very good guitar with not much differences in tone.

Again it comes down to the individual guitar, so it is good to try a couple of them before buying.

post-15838-079862000 1346427915_thumb.jpgB) I love my Sheraton 2, it is really versatile - the block under the pickups gives it the punch that the ES guitars do not have, however - having an ES that is completely hollow gives you more warmth. But to rock-out, I would vote for the Sheraton !!

post-15838-079862000 1346427915_thumb.jpgB) I love my Sheraton 2, it is really versatile - the block under the pickups gives it the punch that the ES guitars do not have, however - having an ES that is completely hollow gives you more warmth. But to rock-out, I would vote for the Sheraton !!

Wha...?

Which ES guitars are completely hollow?

You been drinkin' whiskey?

Wha...?

Which ES guitars are completely hollow?

You been drinkin' whiskey?

To be accurate, Electric-Spanish like the 150, 165, 175. 250, 330, 350 or 400 are full hollow ES but of course the 137, 333, 335 (dot) are semi like the Sheraton

The biggest differences have always been the vine inlays, headstock (both asthetic) laminated neck (which tends to be rather flat on the back - at leasst the ones I've played) and the neck binding on the Sheraton. The "DOT Pro" has obviously got the neck binding now (I wish my DOT had that!) so it's really a matter of feel - ie: You've got to play them side by side to really tell the difference. Also, the coil taps make for a nice range of tones that are unavailable on the Sheraton. Oh yhea, one more thing I've noticed is that the Sheratons I've played also seem to be a little heavier...YMMV

Archived