Gibson Brands Forums

Stands for Nitro Guitars

CowboyBillyBob1

I bought a bunch of stands that are not cool for Nitro finishes. I replaced the hurtful foam contact points with rubber hose from an auto parts store and am now think if this is cool or not for Nitro guitars or should I still use cotton cloths to protect the finish.

Thanks for any guidancece in this.

Surgical silicone tubing, sleeeved over the contact points. Works a treat for me.

The same discussion came up on the Gretsch-talk forum a while back, seems we all fret (ha! see what I did there!) about stuff like this.

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/technical-side-things/68604-guitar-stand-question-chemists.html

Where did you buy the surgical tubing? I started to use rubber hose from an auto parts store and I am starting to think that's not a solution.

I bought a bunch of stands that are not cool for Nitro finishes. I replaced the hurtful foam contact points with rubber hose from an auto parts store and am now think if this is cool or not for Nitro guitars or should I still use cotton cloths to protect the finish.

Thanks for any guidancece in this.

Use the cotton cloths to be safe. I saw some significant stand damage to finishes in a store while I was shopping this weekend. A cotton cloth over a rubber point of contact is cheap insurance in the long run.

I did get it from an auto parts store, some of the good ones do stock silicone hoses for high end turbo applications etc.

I believe that you should avoid silicon in guitar polish so I gotta think it's not cool for a guitar stand either. That crossed my mind so I thought I would just throw that out there.

Use the cotton cloths to be safe. I saw some significant stand damage to finishes in a store while I was shopping this weekend. A cotton cloth over a rubber point of contact is cheap insurance in the long run.

I agree so I've resigned myself to using the cotton cloths. I will also return the ax to it's case when not using it for more than a few hours.

I believe that you should avoid silicon in guitar polish so I gotta think it's not cool for a guitar stand either. That crossed my mind so I thought I would just throw that out there.

Silicone as a componant of polish is a different issue all together.

Silicone based materials as a 'surface' are inert, which is why it can be in applications such as surgical equipment because it does not chemically react to many other materials.

Whilst on the subject, many of the chemicals used in tannery will also 'out gas' & can damage lacquer, new leather straps (applies to vinyl straps too)if left on a guitar, especially in the case, may also cause problems with delicate finishes.

But hey! The simplest & cheapest solution if you are worried about lacquer reacting to stands etc is, as others have mentioned, putting some cotton over the pegs.

I was going to put soft white socks over the black rubber is.

That is pretty much what I do but it is so fugly. I am thinking of getting some white cotton cloth from a fabric store and with a few twist ties fashion a covering that looks a little better.

Hey this should be the least of my problems.

Archived