Gibson Brands Forums

Who the hell is Ed Roman?

heymisterk

You know I am a Gibson fanboy, though Ed Roman was quite abrasive in his manner and wrong IMO on alot of topics, he was right about about Gibson necks being broken more often than other makers. Beware of knocking a Gibson over the neck at the headstock is quite vulnerable, then again I think the design and angle might contribute to why Gibsons sound so good.

Note: I have never broken a Gibson neck (fingers crossed)

Ever hear of that happening to a Norlin-era Les Paul? No.

Volutes should be standard IMHO. And that pic of Henry J smashing the Maestro SG is so phony (on his part) it's not even funny.

Ed was Ed and hilarious in a kind of sad way - if he didn't rip you off to bad. I was in his Vegas shop several years ago and a guy showed him a guitar and Ed went into his long standing schtick about how bad it was and how it wasn't set up properly and anybody that bought a guitar fro a store like GC deserved what they got. The guy said Ed I bought it from you right here least year, and held out a reciept with only about a three second pause, Ed was off and ranting about humidity and temperature could damage a guitars set-up and how people didn't know how to properly care for fine instruments. I was pretty funny really if you ween't the poor sap with a $600 dollar guitar and a $1500 receipt.

Ed was a salesman with all the negativity that name sometimes deserves, he was also his own biggest fan and seemed to actually believe his own hype which is almost always a scary combination. All that said he had a successful business and some nice gear from time to time.

I had a 20% rule with all dealing with Ed Roman I would only believe about 20% of anything he said! and I would never pay more than 80% of his asking price for a guitar. With that rule in place Ed was a pretty typical guitar salesman until he fell for his own brand of fame than he became something a little less than respectable.

I'm sure Ed is much better now that he's dead, but I would probably take a bet that he's got a scheme going polishing either halo's or horn's whichever way it went for him...

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't have a lot of respect for someone that purposely hacks a Les Paul, or any other guitar for that matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mdChXIO0WtM

Hmm, that's not the only way to remove a Gibson neck. Why did he want a Gibson neck? Could it be that he wanted to be able to have a Gibson logo on his LP copies, yes, they were copies with a real neck, not modified, this idea that they modified got him round counterfeit laws that were inconvenient. And why are his staff shooting his LP copies.

He wasn't a flake salesman.

Yes, he was. Long time fixture, always on the fringe, always going wherever the wind took him, take an opposing position to everything he could. Don't know anyone that ever got suckered by him and bought anything from him, don't know how he made a living, but I do remember the girls he'd have in his booth at the shows. Most of the time, he was ana sshole. That's too bad he left that legacy, but he's the one that did it, and I'm not alone.

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

My father in law and I spent a couple of hours in the shop in Las Vegas. Not once were we approached by the staff. I asked if I could try something out. "Yep" was the one word answer I got from a staff member who didn't even look up at me. We were the only people in the shop. I played a resonator for about 10-15 minutes. I put it back without anyone offering help. I even managed to purchase a set of MOP topped knobs and still hardly a word said. We left feeling very unwelcome. I didn't know who Ed was at the time but having seen pics since I know he wasn't around on the shop floor but if he allowed his staff to be that way he was no salesman!

Well he had no problems giving his opinions. Here's a good one about PRS.

Right, that post is what caused me to start this topic in the first place. I do remember reading about him a couple of years ago bashing Heritage Guitars, but when I read the PRS post, I thought, "Who the hell IS this guy?" Apparently, for better or worse, most people here are at least familiar with him.

I think what struck me was that my last post a couple of weeks ago talked about me playing a Paul Reed Smith guitar for the first time and being blown away; thus, his rant came as surprise to me.

Right, that post is what caused me to start this topic in the first place. I do remember reading about him a couple of years ago bashing Heritage Guitars, but when I read the PRS post, I thought, "Who the hell IS this guy?" Apparently, for better or worse, most people here are at least familiar with him.

I think what struck me was that my last post a couple of weeks ago talked about me playing a Paul Reed Smith guitar for the first time and being blown away; thus, his rant came as surprise to me.

He had good points about the pre-95 models being somewhat "superior".

I think PRS has maintained the same awesome quality over the years, but I do prefer the original neck heel.

Okay, I'm officially tearing myself a new a$$hole.

This thread got me started, so I looked for Ed-related stories. I swear to God, the only person giving positive stories about him was....well....HIM! Excuse my ignorance. I finally woke up and smelled the roses. One of the kickers is that he sure pumped out a lot of guitars for a small shop....No wonder he left Connecticut for Vegas.....The home of rip-offs.....

Interestingly enough, he was friends with both Ace Frehley and Richie Scarlet and neither of them had bad things to say.....

Maybe cause' when Ace was close to him he was always too @#$%d up to tell when someone was screwing him (Which affected most parts of his career.....)? And it's even stranger for Richie cause' Richie is the coolest guy on the planet (he's even cooler than The Ace!)! That being said, neither Richie or Ace played Ed's guitars. I know that Ed modified a Les Paul Standard for Ace with a shaved heel (which Ace had done on the 73' tobacco sunburst Deluxe he used in the old days of KISS), contour, and Seymour Duncans (Ed apparently wasn't too fond of the DiMarzios...), but I have never seen Ace play it. The closest I've seen are some videos of Ace live at "The Chance" in Poughkeepsie, NY, in November of 1992 (Just 4 Fun tour) using a honeyburst Les Paul. But I know it's not the same one, as the Ed-modded one had a three-piece top, and this one had a two-piece. I couldn't detect any contours or shaved heels. It's either an early 90s LP Standard or a very early Les Paul Classic. And his tone is a bit different from usual, and I think that's cause' the pickups are different. The pups are either Gibson humbuckers, the hotter Gibson humbuckers that came in the Classics, Duncans, or black-bobbin DiMarzios.

The Emperor has always played Les Pauls, specifically two 70s-era Standards in black and cherry sunburst (or "clownburst"), and a very rare Les Paul Standard in Silverburst, with EMGs and black hardware (appears to be late 80s/early 90s). He also plays Strats.

Archived