Gibson Brands Forums

VOS Finish

MorrisrownSal

Can anyone describe what is entailed in the Gibson VOS finish that is on new J45-TVs? It is a "dulling" or "distressing"? My 2006 J45TV looks glossy, so I am not sure if I have it. I think I remember liking the finishes when I played several specimens at various guitar stores, but maybe I was more focused on the sound.

Is it only a sunburst type of thin finish? IE can it also be a dulled blonde or natural finish? I ask because I am looking into the possibility of a custom J45TV but natural.

Thanks!

Can anyone describe what is entailed in the Gibson NOS finish that is on new J45-TVs? It is a "dulling" or "distressing"? My 2006 J45TV looks glossy, so I am not sure if I have it. I think I remember liking the finishes when I played several specimens at various guitar stores, but maybe I was more focused on the sound.

Is it only a sunburst type of thin finish? IE can it also be a dulled blonde or natural finish? I ask because I am looking into the possibility of a custom J45TV but natural.

Thanks!

they don't beat up the guitar like they do on relic stuff (Aaron Lewis Aged SJ) but the give it that old look . I think if it's on a natural top than it would include somekind of toner mix =)

the aged or relic guitars look like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKu1YSwuLC4

JC

The VOS finish is not buffed out completely, so it's less glossy, and it's got swirls and may have slight surface scratches from the what compounding it does get. It's meant to look like the guitar is old but well-cared for. It can be buffed out to a gloss. An aged finish on the other hand (like on the Aaron Lewis or McCartney Texan) has deeper scratches, and some of the finish may actually be removed to simulate wear. If you buff it out, those scratches and worn areas will remain.

Red 333

Can anyone describe what is entailed in the Gibson NOS finish that is on new J45-TVs? It is a "dulling" or "distressing"? My 2006 J45TV looks glossy, so I am not sure if I have it. I think I remember liking the finishes when I played several specimens at various guitar stores, but maybe I was more focused on the sound.

Thanks!

I've had a J45 Natural and now have a J50TV (on left) and as you can see, they both have a gloss finish. I highly recommend the J50TV (which as you know is the J45TV in natural with the larger pickguard). I will take a special order.

J50TV-J45Natural.jpg

My J45TV has the same bridge as your J45 Natural. The J50TV appears to have the longer thinner bridge in addition to the pickguard difference? Gorgeous guitars.

Yeah, the rectangular "AJ style" bridge was part of the special order ..... only two made to the best of my knowledge. It was configured by Keith at Bailey Brothers, a 5 star dealer.Give him a call @ 205-271-7827 and he'll give you great info about special order items and hook you up if you so desire. This special order was exactly the same price as the J45TV hanging on the wall.

Yeah, the rectangular "AJ style" bridge was part of the special order ..... only two made to the best of my knowledge. It was configured by Keith at Bailey Brothers, a 5 star dealer.Give him a call @ 205-271-7827 and he'll give you great info about special order items and hook you up if you so desire. This special order was exactly the same price as the J45TV hanging on the wall.

Would you mind giving me an idea on that price either here or through my email or direct message? Very thankful for the info... Sal

Would you mind giving me an idea on that price either here or through my email or direct message? Very thankful for the info... Sal

Sure, but I can't tell you your exact price because you may care to add a feature or whatever. Besides, that's between you and the dealer. However I will give you the formula I use in pricing new Gibsons. MSRP X .65 = out the door price. So, if the J45TV is MSRP is $3874 per the web site, the price I paid is very close to the answer to the formula. A second disclaimer: This is how I do it, and is in no way meant to establish a price for any dealer or guitar!

The VOS finish is not buffed out completely, so it's less glossy, and it's got swirls and may have slight surface scratches from the what compounding it does get. It's meant to look like the guitar is old but well-cared for. It can be buffed out to a gloss. An aged finish on the other hand (like on the Aaron Lewis or McCartney Texan) has deeper scratches, and some of the finish may actually be removed to simulate wear. If you buff it out, those scratches and worn areas will remain.

Red 333

Just from reading this forum I think the VOS term is one of the most confusing marketing terms Gibson uses.

I have read many explanations of what VOS actually stands for..and most where different. My HB TV has the VOS finish apparently.. when looking to buy a HB TV last year most adverts stated they have this finish.

My Bird did NOT have a WORN look finish...it was quite glossy but also subdued... like a VINTAGE finish maybe. I think people are confused with the WORN look ie: Arton Lewis and what the VOS finish is.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the VOS finish is this ..grazing/marked finish..at least it never used to be... so still ...confused?

EDIT

excuse me Red just re-read your post and realized I am basically saying the same thing.... the post was meant more for ThemisSal

I agree about the confusion .... when I posted the pix of my J50TV above, I noted that it was quite glossy .... but having now looked at the spec sheet, it says J-50 TV VOS. The J-45TVs that hang on the wall next to the standard J-45s are clearly "duller" than the TVs. So VOS does mean something! That's Gibson for you, go figure. I do agree that VOS does not mean distressed ... that's a different animal altogether.

Aside from using car rubbing compound ( whic i used on my $99 beater to dull the poly shine [omg] ) does anyone have an idea how to bring back the VOS patina? With all the handling, string changes, cleaning, and trips to the luthier, my J-45 is a bit on the shiny side - too much lovin' I suppose.

does anyone have an idea how to bring back the VOS patina?

Whatever method you use, I'd start in a small test spot somewhere like the lower treble side bout (which often gets scuffed anyway) to see the result before committing to the whole guitar. My first thought would be a very mild & slightly abrasive compound, rubbed in a super light circular motion, or possibly 0000 steel wool applied very lightly in the same circular motion. I have successully used 0000 steel wool to achieve a satin look in the past. Btw, have to say I love the VOS finish on my recently aquired natural finish ES-330. It nicely captures the period look.

Thanks for the thought BB, but no steel wool, that just sounds out of orbit.

It might sound crazy & scary, but size 0000 with a very gentle touch can do some neat stuff if you're truly after a satin look. Of course it's great for cleaning grungy fingerboards, but I've also used it on older instruments to even out the appearance of particular areas of the finish. After use, the area can be rebuffed or polished if desired. Using any type of steel wool on electrics is a delicate proposition because the pickups will attract magnetic residue.

Using any type of steel wool on electrics is a delicate proposition because the pickups will attract magnetic residue.

That's one reason I use bronze wool instead of steel wool. It's non-magnetic, and doesn't leave particles behind that will rust.

Available at any good marine supply store, and sometimes at specialty paint stores that cater to professionals, although these days they are more likely to use scotchbrite pads, which come in every grit imaginable, with white usually being the finest "grit".

Always experiment on something other than your guitar before trying this!

You can buff it back out if you don't like it, but you WILL be removing finish, and there can be precious little of it on Gibsons.

I'm fairly certain the VOS (Vintage Original Spec) is accomplished by merely skimping on, or skipping the final buffing process of the nitro finish. Perhaps thats why it is relatively easy to bring it to gloss, with a few polishings. Maybe I'll try some 0000 steel wool on my $99 experimental guitar - poor thing has gone thru a lot, truss rod adjustments ad naseum, new nut (looks like s--t btw, but had to give it a shot, number of saddles, reamings, pins, car buffing compound, strap pin, its about to get a new set of vintage style tuners, as soon as I can remember where I put my calipers.

Don't you just love the sunburn, er I mean sunburst, on this guitar. Thank goodness the Bozeman folks are lightyears better than this.

GreatDivideGuitar_zps340503d1.jpg

GreatDivideNut_zps014d93e6.jpg

The VOS finish is achieved by not finishing the buffing process, and leaving some of the compound on the finish. This means it can be hard to bring it back once it's buffed out. you would have to wet sand it, and then add some buffing compound.

as for the variance in guitars with VOS finish? well, partly it would depend on who worked at that station on your particular guitar. also, sunburst shows it more than natural because scratches and dullness show better on darker colors.

also, as a consumer, you will rarely see the way it came from the factory. every time a dealer wipes down a guitar after a test drive, or polishes it there will be a change. the only way to know what the VOS originally looked like would be to unpack it yourself straight from the factory.

They really are pretty hazy from the factory. you can FEEL it too. most dealers give it a LIGHT wipe down just to kill the weird feel before customers ever see the guitar.... also it gets a wipe down before seeing the wall just because we want to get our own fingerprints off of it that came from tuning it upon unpacking.

Archived