Gibson Brands Forums

Rush....

kaleb

I've been a RUSH Fan since the beginning. I've seen them several times and love the fact that they have been playing 3-hour shows without an opening act. Nothing like an evening with RUSH. Just wish I could afford to get one of their VIP Packages and do a meet and greet with them. I'd be in heaven to spend just 30 minutes with Alex and two Les Paul guitars. [biggrin]

Regarding their on-stage movies and props - they're just trying to put on a good show. I enjoy it. I never miss Rush when they're in town.

Very likely the best band ever. And they get no respect.

I'd say they get respect. I'm not a fan, but they've had a good long career and they're loved here in the UK. I do get a bit miffed when I hear bands going on about 'grueling' tours. They want to fill shelves all day for minimum wage or work down a mine. I know that the crew work extremely hard, but the 'big' band live in luxury. I'd say that Journey are one of the hardest working bands these days. They don't need to do it, but they're constantly working.

I'd say they get respect. I'm not a fan, but they've had a good long career and they're loved here in the UK. I do get a bit miffed when I hear bands going on about 'grueling' tours. They want to fill shelves all day for minimum wage or work down a mine. I know that the crew work extremely hard, but the 'big' band live in luxury. I'd say that Journey are one of the hardest working bands these days. They don't need to do it, but they're constantly working.

Yeah, that's all true.

And I'll rephrase: they get some respect, but not as much as they deserve.

Rush is playing a show in Seattle on November, 13th, and I was considering going. But I just can't justify, no matter how much I love the band. But then it got me thinkin'.....

I wish these bigger bands would come to Montana and play some smaller venues. I mean, The Stones packed Griz Stadium (a college football stadium!) in Missoula in 2006! So why not Rush! Why can't they play a good-size theatre once n' a while? There's no such thing as too big for a small gig IMHO. Rush can tone down their props for once. I couldn't care less about their props onstage. Do they really need the big screen for the intros, intermission, and closing films? Geez. For such a "humble" band, I'm very surprised. You'd think they'd wanna get real for a show or two.

This goes for all big bands, not just Rush.

Hey man, are you from Butte? Love the way you express it, if you are...

As a Montanan in Chicago...I feel you man. Big bands rarely stop in Montana...although, the average neighborhood in Chicago has about as many people as the whole Big Sky state, so it's kinda understandable. Rush, being a bunch of canucks--if Toronto qualifies, should be keen on playing Montana...in fact, a few years ago, I ran into Neil Peart at a diner near West Yellowstone. It was a nod and go, though...knowing he ain't a fan of being singled out in public...since then, I saw the Rush doc, and I'm glad I let him have his space...now that I know the story behind his solo road trip.

I ran into Neil Peart at a diner near West Yellowstone. It was a nod and go, though...knowing he ain't a fan of being singled out in public...since then, I saw the Rush doc, and I'm glad I let him have his space...now that I know the story behind his solo road trip.

So that was during infamous motor cycle ride all across North America following the two tragedies that claimed his daughter and his wife?

Ghost Rider is the book that he wrote about that experience.

It's a good read, especially for Rush fans but there's not a lot of "Rush" stuff in that book.

So that was during infamous motor cycle ride all across North America following the two tragedies that claimed his daughter and his wife?

Ghost Rider is the book that he wrote about that experience.

It's a good read, especially for Rush fans but there's not a lot of "Rush" stuff in that book.

I think that's a good thing. There's enough Rush books out there to satisfy me. You could actually learn something new from the other side of The Professor!

I also think that Alex should do a stand-up comedy tour....Who's with me?!?!?! He'd do it, too!

Hey man, are you from Butte? Love the way you express it, if you are...

As a Montanan in Chicago...I feel you man. Big bands rarely stop in Montana...although, the average neighborhood in Chicago has about as many people as the whole Big Sky state, so it's kinda understandable. Rush, being a bunch of canucks--if Toronto qualifies, should be keen on playing Montana...in fact, a few years ago, I ran into Neil Peart at a diner near West Yellowstone. It was a nod and go, though...knowing he ain't a fan of being singled out in public...since then, I saw the Rush doc, and I'm glad I let him have his space...now that I know the story behind his solo road trip.

Yes, I'm from Butte! And proud of it! (even though it's a musician's hell) Where are you from?

A lot of bands come to the Wilma Theater in Missoula (Queensryche would play there every year). And then there's the Rockin' The Rivers festival in Three Forks (I saw Ace Frehley and BTO there last year. Great show!).

Yes, I'm from Butte! And proud of it! (even though it's a musician's hell) Where are you from?

A lot of bands come to the Wilma Theater in Missoula (Queensryche would play there every year). And then there's the Rockin' The Rivers festival in Three Forks (I saw Ace Frehley and BTO there last year. Great show!).

Back and forth between the Paradise and Gallatin valleys, man...Boozeystone (Bozeman-Livingston)

I love Queensryche...for some reason, people say I should be ashamed of the fact, but they say I should be ashamed of a lot of facts :)

Speaking of which, I've spent quite a few St. Patty days in Butte...

Back and forth between the Paradise and Gallatin valleys, man...Boozeystone (Bozeman-Livingston)

I love Queensryche...for some reason, people say I should be ashamed of the fact, but they say I should be ashamed of a lot of facts :)

Speaking of which, I've spent quite a few St. Patty days in Butte...

That's great!

I love Queensryche too. Too bad about them and Geoff Tate.

As far as I'm concerned, we OWN the holiday! It's quite a party! But they can get really out of hand...

+1 Just seeing him do the fat band manager with the sausages was hilarious. [biggrin] And Neil could be his straight man.

Right - That was hilarious, I loved Geddy doing the yiddish accent too.. priceless...

The start of concert (Time Machine) was insanely perfectly orchestrated with that video intro too.

BOOM! many a goose bumps..

I also think that Alex should do a stand-up comedy tour....Who's with me?!?!?! He'd do it, too!

Watch this to get a feel for Lifeson's humor. I love the part starting at 5:09 where RM asks Lifeson if he plays bass, to which he responds "well it's a little to easy for me." He takes a nice friendly stab at Geddy. Hysterical!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRCYP1jSMJQ

Watch this to get a feel for Lifeson's humor. I love the part starting at 5:09 where RM asks Lifeson if he plays bass, to which he responds "well it's a little to easy for me." He takes a nice friendly stab at Geddy. Hysterical!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRCYP1jSMJQ

"I think we recorded the first record on one of these", and "Thanks I'm learning a lot about myself" had me in stitches! He should also collaborate with Paul Gilbert (which would be a huge thrill for Paul as Lerxst is one of his bigger influences). That would be jaw-dropping awesome both musically and humor-wise.

Now I'm gonna get serious...

When people say that Alex is the "weak-link" in Rush, they're completely out of their minds. He writes those killer riffs and makes the band sound huge with his chord work, and THEN SOME!!!! With a band like Rush, there's no room for weak links, thus they don't have one (much like Zeppelin or The Beatles). As Geddy said in the doc., "I don't wanna play in this band without those other two guys".

But somewhere on the world wide web, I read that, at one point back in time, Alex was contemplating leaving the band and Michael Schenker was going to take his place. Something tells me it's a rumor created by Schenker fans (I am one of them!), but thank God that didn't happen! But Schenker jamming with Geddy and Neil would be cool...Just like Alex and Geddy jaming with John Bonham...

Interesting. I don't doubt you but I would think that this was a rumor that is absolutely false. Alex and Geddy are childhood friends and they always were hanging out with each other. If Alex did leave then Rush would be no more (Geddy would never replace him). Now I'm not saying that they didn't want to play with others because Alex and Geddy did do solo projects, but their friendship, humor and humility kept them together and always will. Can't say the same about Lennon and McCartney.

Interesting. I don't doubt you but I would think that this was a rumor that is absolutely false. Alex and Geddy are childhood friends and they always were hanging out with each other. If Alex did leave then Rush would be no more (Geddy would never replace him). Now I'm not saying that they didn't want to play with others because Alex and Geddy did do solo projects, but their friendship, humor and humility kept them together and always will. Can't say the same about Lennon and McCartney.

It's a rumor. But around the A Farewell To Kings, which would make it 1977, they were considering bringing in a fourth player to help with the synths and extra guitars and stuff. But they chose not to as to not disrupt their chemistry.

Archived