Gibson Brands Forums

Have you been to a Guitar Show?

Riffster

I've been to the Orlando Expo the last few years, and I enjoy it. Sometimes there are good deals. If not, it's fun just to drool over the inventory. I like to walk by and touch the $200,000 and $300,000 1959 LPs myself. It's the only chance I'm gonna get to touch one. Last year I caressed this baby for a few minutes. Felt so good I had to go change my shorts. The fat guy gave me the stink-eye. What's he gonna do, charge me for touching it?

IMG_0023.jpg

Never been to one, but would love to get the chance.

I like gun shows and stuff like that, so I'm sure I'd get a kick out of a guitar show.

I know some shop owners that get some great guitars from shows.

You should go. I always get a kick out of them. Gear watching and people watching.

The Dallas show in April is the best one, by far. It's not just the dealer booths, but it's two and a half days of live music too. I've been to four Dallas shows since 2004, and I've seen performances by Johnny A, Ronnie Montrose, Rick Derringer, Black Stone Cherry, Joe Bonamasa, Yngwie Malmsteen and more.

The Charlotte show this past August was kind of a let down for me, but the Spartanburg show in February is usually pretty good. Arlington (Texas) in October is usually good too.

I will go this year then. I have been thinking about going in the last 3 years and just haven't for one reason or another. I always have a lame excuse and usually the first week of December the weather is crappy. Last year I had a hangover from hell.

I see all the adds for this kind of shows on Vintage Guitar Magazine and just by the size of the add I can see Dallas is a serious event.

The venue for the show here in Nashville would indicate it is not all that great but heck I am like 6 miles away from it. I will bring my camera, you never know who you are going to run into here in Nashville.

Is there anywhere I could get a list of dates and locations?

I'm not far from Raleigh NC, and there are several places in the area for gun shows, toy show, conventions and such, but I never hear about guitar shows.

I go, there are around 3 a year here in Chicago. If your looking to buy be carefull with the vintage stuff, but for parts, clothing its

great. The only problem is its allways a sausage party with guys drewlling over equipment thats out of their price range.

I did buy a PRS from Bluemoon Music out of Ark. a few years back at a local show and he still remembers me and what I bought.

Nice guy.

GO GO GO

Yea, it's nice when you can develop a relationship with people at shows.

I usually go to car shows, gun shows and toy shows, (yep, toy nut here) and I know many of the vendors on a first name basis. I get discounts from many of them that they wouldn't even discuss with the average Joe. I know, because while I am at their booth, they are selling to people and rarely offering special prices.

Archived