Gibson Brands Forums

Build quality: SG Standard vs. SG '61 RI

heymisterk

Is there any difference? I know that the 'buckers are different, but does the '61 use better quality wood and/or other electronics?

The reason is, I like the specs of the '61 better, but can't deal with its slim-taper neck. To me, the Standard has a much more comfortable neck.

Thoughts?

Ask Timmeh.

He has some beautiful 61 RI's.

The USA model will have two piece & three bodies in some cases whereas the RI will be a solid body blank.

The USA will have a Nashville TOM the RI will have the ABR1.

You are talking about the 61 from the USA line right? Not the VOS. In that case there is not a build quality difference. Custom Shop VOS on the other hand are a thing of beauty. Necks are all different really, every guitar is different.

This thread makes it sound like I have a ton of SGs!! [biggrin]

I have two and just one VOS.

If you are only comparing build quality between a Standard & '61RIs they are on the same level. Stick with the Standard if you don't want a thin neck.

Play them, of course, and see which you prefer...if you haven't already. Have you played a VOS yet (aka '62RI, aka SG Standard VOS)? Mine is very comfortable and I tend to prefer fat necks. Depends on the guitar sometimes. Great bang for the buck on the used market. I've seen a few on ebay sell in the $1,500 range. Compare that price to a '61.

This thread makes it sound like I have a ton of SGs!! [biggrin]

I have two and just one VOS.

If you are only comparing build quality between a Standard & '61RIs they are on the same level. Stick with the Standard if you don't want a thin neck.

Play them, of course, and see which you prefer...if you haven't already. Have you played a VOS yet (aka '62RI, aka SG Standard VOS)? Mine is very comfortable and I tend to prefer fat necks. Depends on the guitar sometimes. Great bang for the buck on the used market. I've seen a few on ebay sell in the $1,500 range. Compare that price to a '61.

You know, I have seen the '62s, and if I can get one for $1,500, then it will be mine! Thanks.

Neck profile is not the only difference.

Pickups and neck junction are as well, pickups are 57 on the 61, cannot remember on the usa std; neck junction on the 61 at the 20th fret level, around the 17th fret on the USA std.

I like both but prefers the 61 because of the pickups, they are more smooth.

I like the thin neck on my 2012 '61 Reissue over the fatter ones.

It is also a one piece rosewood fret board, I had the dealer where I buy my PRS's from check it.

Got it in May, I probably got one of the last one piece fret boards.

Archived