Gibson Brands Forums

My own sickness

ksdaddy

There's nothing wrong with a good healthy obsession,I have several collections of widely varied things other guitars and amps and related parafernalia,from diecast car models to mugs and antique China cups,anything at all relating to Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles,classical music(well over 200 CDs and albums of Mozart's music alone),then there's all my classic/antique car literature,alternative music spanning over 40 years.......My wife calls it obsessive,I just call it an overactive interest.

Well I think they are 'pariah' guitars and undeservedly so. They are even shunned by the Ovation community. Ovation people are vastly in the minority and Applause people are even more so. I think they were innovative from a production and durability standpoint. People complain that the aluminum neck can't be refretted. Okay, my Bic lighter can't be refilled either! They were never meant ot be legacy heirloom guitars, they were an inexpensive version of an Ovation aimed at the low budget market, list price of $150 in the late 70s. I've been inside them more than once and know the weak spots. Mostly glue failure in the fan bracing. I've cut open a donor bowl and I'm working on designing specialized gluing cauls that will allow me to reglue all loose braces AND pull the top flat in one shot.

I have some cool ones mixed in there too. One is a NOS 1976, another is the 1000th one made, signed inside by everyone on the production line and Bill Kaman, plus a couple Academys, which had injection molded plastic tops and 12 fret necks, and a couple versions of my 'secret weapon', probably the best and one of the last US made Applauses (1983), the AA-12. The AA-12 was, as far as I'm concerned, made up of leftover parts towards the end of the US production, with an Academy plastic top and 14 fret neck, and no pickguard, just a rosette. The only wood is the brige. It sounds huge and deep. I've never heard a guitar boom like that in my life. Put your headphones on, turn the bass (and volume) up on the stereo and drop the needle on the first few chords of "Hurdy Gurdy Man" and you'll get the idea. I don't expect anyone to believe me on that by the way, but I know the deal.

And why collect them? Well, since few people like them and nobody is willing to fix them, I get them cheap on ebay.

I think they were innovative from a production and durability standpoint. People complain that the aluminum neck can't be refretted. Okay, my Bic lighter can't be refilled either!

And why collect them? Well, since few people like them and nobody is willing to fix them, I get them cheap on ebay.

Ah now I see - I wasn't aware of the aluminium necks. However as Travis Beans and ali-neck Kramers are very collectable now, possibly you may be onto something in the future. So is the whole neck aluminium with frets incorporated and a glued-on board?

Very cool! I was going to ask about the aluminum frets. I remember a guy over on the mimf once trying to refret 1 of these with stainless frets. The overwhelming response from the readers seems to be why bother. His answer to them was why not. I had to love that.

Very cool! I was going to ask about the aluminum frets. I remember a guy over on the mimf once trying to refret 1 of these with stainless frets. The overwhelming response from the readers seems to be why bother. His answer to them was why not. I had to love that.

That's an area I haven't approached yet. I've recrowned a couple and it is an agonizingly slow process simply beacause they don't have a nice rounded crown to begin with. Is it a proper fix? No. Will it prolong the life of the neck by a few years? Yep.

I've half heartedly tried to find tangless fret wire as used on Parker guitars. I'd try to 'cap' one of these Applauses just for fun... might work!

I remember this obsession being discussed here a few times.... and in fact, I think you need one more!

There is one hanging in the storeroom of a friends vintage guitar shop. I'm not sure (nor know how to determine) if it is American made or not, but I'd gladly get you in contact direct. It looks to me to be in "project" condition

PM me if interested.

PS: I will be up at his shop early this week to pick up some stuff that did not sell at the Arlington guitar show.

As long as it's cheap I'm interested. Two bolts hold the neck on so it can go in a smaller box. In a nutshell, if it has an aluminum fingerboard, it's US. The US models also have white lables inside (if present), and raised binding. Models are AA-14, AA-24, AA-12(rare), and AA-15 (12 string). If it came with a transducer, the model number will have an AE prefix (AE-14, etc)

They moved production to Korea around 1983. I was led to believe 1982 but since I have at least two US made Applauses from 1983, it gets a little fuzzy. The Korean Applauses look the same from several yards away but have normal binding, blue labels, new model number (AA-31), flush rosettes, traditional wooden necks with dovetails joints.... and no personality whatsoever.

>Ring<

>Ring<

"Hello, Penny Englund here, how can I help you?"

"Scott? Oh, I think he's in the basement. Let me check."

>walking sounds, door opens, sounds of thumping down a couple steps<

"Well, he is here, but he's.... he's....??? Well he's got his guitars lined up.... in a maze sort of. And he's walking around,.... making a video of them. Kind of like... well maybe he's playing trains, with his guitars. Maybe you should call back when he's back on his meds."

My apologies to Penny -- TommyK.

Yep that's a obsession I mean collection. Actually I hate to admit it but an Applause is the only guitar Ive ever gotten in a trade with a group of guitars and I finally just threw it away. The top was scratched up and it had a ugly red and yellow burst to start with take that plus the aluminum neck made it not worth fixing up for me. I offered it to a few people for nothing with no takers and finally got tired of storing it, so I just put it out at the curb with un-contained trash. I don't know if somebody yanked it out or if it went to the dump but I'm glad somebody love's them.

PS

Never post video's like that Scott, you can't throw it away now and that new wife or one of your girls could use that in a commitment hearing someday and sorry bud, but that would be enough to get you a small room, free meds, and years living in your pajama's all because you put a video out in the world of you playing choo-choo with a house full of Applause guitars.

.......could use that in a commitment hearing someday and sorry bud, but that would be enough to get you a small room, free meds, and years living in your pajama's all because you put a video out in the world of you playing choo-choo with a house full of Applause guitars.

Ah but how do we know it's him in the vid?

Case dismissed I think!

Interesting what would exhibit A be?

I think it has something to do with a pencil.

Sorry Scott! You forgot to kill me.

Your honor, I present: > > Exhibit "A" < <

When you put it on the internets, they ain't no secrets.

[tongue]

Ah but how do we know it's him in the vid?

Case dismissed I think!

You know anybody else in the free world (for now) who owns 26 Applauses? And would brag about it?

[sneaky]

Archived