Gibson Brands Forums

My VOX amplifier is starting to screw up :(

FenderGuy1

:( I was playing AC/DC with my usual AC/DC sound that i dialed in, and it started turning itself up and down :( Im gonna try and get it fixed by the shop and if they dont fix it im gonna trade it in for a Marshall Half Stack, The only thing i look forward to is the marshall of my choice, Any suggestions of what Marshall should I get? I want something that looks like one of those old Plexi's

:( I was playing AC/DC with my usual AC/DC sound that i dialed in, and it started turning itself up and down :( Im gonna try and get it fixed by the shop and if they dont fix it im gonna trade it in for a Marshall Half Stack, The only thing i look forward to is the marshall of my choice, Any suggestions of what Marshall should I get? I want something that looks like one of those old Plexi's

...an old Plexi... Seriously: Roppoli Plexi clones are great! Check them out! One of the fellow members from Canada pointed my attention to them. They look and sound fantastic! Cheers... Bence

...an old Plexi... Seriously: Roppoli Plexi clones are great! Check them out! One of the fellow members from Canada pointed my attention to them. They look and sound fantastic! Cheers... Bence

Haha! Yeah, great amps. Lou's a really nice guy too.

But in all seriousness FenderGuy1....to me it just sounds like you've got a dying or faulty tube, nothing serious...

Hello! Yes, Ryan is right! First check Your amp! I use those late 60s Regent tube amps, which need constant maintenance. Every month I have to change caps, resistors, etc... Tube amps (especially old ones) are fragile devices. They are not like transistor amps that live forever... Cheers... Bence

Sounds like bad tube to me too. Sometimes all it takes is to move an amp when the tubes are still hot. When I started out almost all the amps were tube powered and not knowing anything about them I took my 67 bandmaster from a gig hot right outside in Jan in chicago and just heard popping and glass. I have had very good luck with JJ tubes and Ruby output tubes and even EH/ sovtek.

Step one FenderGuy 1 is to locate a local palm reader. Step two is to find out what's going to happen to your Vox amp in the future. Step three is to tell the palm reader to massage the inner workings of your amp, that is pour holy water from the Arab Spring all over the inner workings of your amp, as this should throw off the hex that is on your amp. If this doesn't work sacrifice, yes sacrifice the palm reader after she digests the amps resistors. Do it quick FenderGuy 1 and all will be won!

... if they dont fix it im gonna trade it in for a Marshall Half Stack, The only thing i look forward to is the marshall of my choice, Any suggestions of what Marshall should I get? I want something that looks like one of those old Plexi's

A new amp won't fix your problem: you're chasing gear. You need to get over that first.

AND it lost a fair bit of volume, i dunno why!

That's definitely tubes dying...it's a natural part of owning a tube amp. You have to replace tubes every so often. Sometimes tubes are faulty or go bad over time. Replacing tubes is your best option.

WEll I DID nail the AC/DC tone really straight on this amplifier, but i have had a lot of good luck when it comes to the Ruby tubes, but i have only had this amp ever since May when I won it

You just might have one pin on one tube socket that is loose. If it's at all humid with the heat of a tube especially the output tubes they can expand the female side of the socket or even tarnish and create a bad connection. What I would do with the amp cold just pull the tube out one at a time and just look at the pins on each tube. It takes time but to isolate the one that may be causing the problem pull one tube look at it and put it back in let the amp cool and go to the next one . After your done it might have solved the problem and make note of any tube that seems to change the problem or shows a visual sign that it was a loose connection. If any tube seems to come out easier than the rest make a note of that as well. You can even pull one tube at a time and while you have a tube out just look at the socket , each has a gap on the socket side , it one seems open more than the others that can do what you describe. You can close the gap or clean the socket just don't put anything metal in there unless you know what you are doing , there is a lot of voltage stored in a tube amp so if you are not certain just DON"T DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as far as touching the socket with anything metal. No point in killing yourself getting hit with 500 VOLTS stored in a electrolytic cap. But pulling the tubes cold with the amp unplugged and looking like I suggested is safe enough to do , at least then you can take it to a tech and ask him to check such and such socket and save yourself some money.

People should never go anywhere near the guts of an amp unless they are absolutely sure where the dangerous parts are and more importantly where they aren't.Play it safe carry it to a tech,I've seen people get really bad jolts by just inadvertantly brushing up against one of the aformentioned dangerous parts.The few bucks extra it would cost you is way better than costing you your life.

If you only want an amp that resembles a Plexi physically,you would be overlooking dozens of other great Marshalls.In The History Of Marshall,Jim Marshall emphatically states that the JCM 800,2203 100W master volume amp is the best that they ever made-up until that time.The JCM 800, 2204 which is basically the 50 W equivalent of the 2203 is also an incredible amp that can peel paint from the walls at full volume because its 50W rating is far understated according to what a lot of people think.The 2204,JCM 800 model is also able to get the real Marshall Crunch and Raunch at bedroom volumes due to its Master Volume control.The 2204 also can nail the Hendrix tone spot on so much so that it's uncanny.

Archived