Gibson Brands Forums

Sorry no Gibson content

ol fred

Anyone interested in a vintage Stella and case ? I know there are those among us who collect such things. I haven't seen this in person but it looks to be fairly good condition.

Belongs to a friend who sent the pics.

$175.00 + shipping

8147885489_ba6b2eef48.jpg

8148017632_85e5e88f29.jpg

8147917556_e6c9a344e2.jpg

Man, that is Tres Cool! Even has the 'advanced' Advance Jumbo fret markers.... [thumbup]

Except the ones on the Harmony are painted on.

I love these things but only go for the older Harmony Stellas with the slanted logo.

Not sure of the model because of the fixed bridge. While these bridges were common on Stella Hawaiin and tenor guitars most six string Stellas were built with a floating bridge. All brich and probably built in the 1960s (there should be a date stamp somewhere).

The asking price is a bit high for one of these although if it has a good neck and is in otherwise fantastic condition your friend may get it or at least close to it.

The Schmidt-made Stellas are a totally different instrument than the Harmony version. Harmony bought the Stella and Sovereign names from the Schmidt company around 1940.

I have owned several of Schmidt's guitars. If there is a guitar associated with the blues these would be it.

Schmidts have some unique features that make them easy to pick out of a crowd such as the fret marker on the 10th fret, angled neck heel, domed back, and square top kerfing. You used to be able to buy a dozen of these things for $60.

Those Gamblers are definiely cool. But what you are paying for is the decorations. The most valuable Schmidts remain the jumbo 12 strings. Theses days they can easily bring in the $10K range.

When I read the heading of your post, Fred, I thought you may have come across one of these early era Stellas - this one in the link is the coolest guitar on the planet:

http://littlebrother...bler/index.html

They also make repro versions.....perhaps that is the next purchase?????

BluesKing777.

Nyuk Nyuk........Play your cards right and you could get a Gambler copy:

http://www.stellaguitars.com/1222_LaScala_Gambler.htm

BluesKing777.

To me, Stella is a beer nicknamed "wife beater", I'm not kidding either.....

It's funny, I lived in London for 5 years and heard the same thing from so many people. Saw the cheap prices and kids getting trashed on it all the time. Back home we get commercials that try to make it out to be something special on the import aisle. I can't help but laugh when I see them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h493qOTd5PI

Archived