Gibson Brands Forums

buffalo J 200

JuanCarlosVejar

Being's I love WY and all the places "where the buffalo roam" I think it's excellent. Dang if it doesn't look like I'd need a step ladder and a holder to be able to play it. [biggrin] It looks about as big a a Cello or maybe those huge string bass guitars the street bands play in Mexico.

Love the work on it. The big question is how much $$$$ ?

Aster

is that guy really tiny ? or the guitar massive ?

That was my first thought. My second was was how the heck is the butt end being held up as it seems to be eerily floating. The third was - those are buffalo?

Last thought - I would never be able to live down the laughter of my friends if I actually appeared in public with that thing.

Just so you know...The guy is small and there isn't one buffalo anywhere on the guitar. No one from Gibson would know that. Pity...

thanks for claryfing . I wasn't sure myself I'd just seen the reference on another forum . and wanted to share the photo here =D.

can you tell us more about the guitar ?

that way I can change the title !

JC

The guitar was decorated by Ren Ferguson several years ago. It actually depicts the westward expansion in the U.S. The boat on the first fret is actually a depiction of the boat Lewis and Clark brought up the Missouri river in their "Great Expedition". The history progresses as the inlays travel up the fretboard. The last big event that opened the West was the steam engine. Yes that's it puffing smoke and traveling across a trestle on the higest frets. The long horn cattle on the pickgard are in homage to the Texans that supplied beef to the entire country and their wonderful "cattle drives" to bring the beef to market. It's a pretty cool guitar and it is one of the last guitars Ren actually designed and executed. Ren is all about cowboys and the spirit that made America great and he wanted to show his respect in a guitar. You can blame the lame marketing dept for not giving the guitar the proper respect.

I haven't seen it in several years and thank you for the photo. Maybe you could pass this on to the owner as I'm sure the story would be of interest to him. There is no one left at Gibson that would even know about this instrument and that is a pity. I tried to give you folks a hint at the changing of the guard at Gibson but no one caught on. Things will never be the same again. The corporate types have control of the management and no Montana folks are left. Certainly none that know anything about Gibson Guitars.

Hope this helps

Archived