Gibson Brands Forums

Riviera Custom

gnappi

I just came home from Sam Ash after playing a Wine red Riviera Custom and I'm impressed.

I have been looking for an ES-175 with P-90's but this sounds GREAT. Anyone else have one? How do you blend the three pups with the 3 volume controls?

I don't have a Riviera, but I do have a Zephtr Blues Deluxe, with the same control set up (although I replaced my common tone knob with a Varitone). This 2 part YouTube video does a great job explaing how the 3 volume knobs can work together. Enjoy.

I don't have a Riviera, but I do have a Zephtr Blues Deluxe, with the same control set up (although I replaced my common tone knob with a Varitone). This 2 part YouTube video does a great job explaing how the 3 volume knobs can work together. Enjoy.

I went back to the store and tried it again and figured out how it works, and also saw that it's made in China. I lost interest.

I have the "Royale" P93 one :

EpiphoneRivieraRoyale05.jpg

For a start, try setting the mid pickup to 0. It will act like a regular two-pickups guitar with the three-positions toggle switch. Then experiment with various mid pickup settings - you'll find that with this pickup set to 4 or 5, and blended with another pickup, it sounds very close to a humbucker pickup. But set it on 10 and it will sound like the "2" or "4" strat position, only beefier.

Only con with this guitar is that the pickups have a too high output, so they tend to sound quite muddy. Easier way I found to cure that is using an equaliser pedal to get rid of some bass frequencies. Works fine .

to each their own, but <_<

Do you hear that great sucking sound of millions of jobs there that used to be here :-)

Chinese drywall anyone? Poisonous kid's Toys? Dog treats that kill dogs? To name a few... You gotta be kidding me.

I understand the sentiment, but part of the appeal and qualities much praised around these parts is epiphones quality vs price point, which can be attributed with labor costs. I believe in buying made in US products, but how many young kids would be unable to play the guitar if their only options were at the costs of those made in the USA?

I'm playing devils advocate at most, enjoy talking about this sort of thing esp in the realm of guitars, and definitely am not looking for a fight. from the lineup in your sig you're lucky enough to have a great lineup of US built guits. I've a few of my own and am incredibly fortunate, but I also have owned great quality asian-made instruments that were available to me when money was tight, and I'm thankful for them as well. It's possible to believe in one thing while not entirely rejecting its opposite.

but how many young kids would be unable to play the guitar if their only options were at the costs of those made in the USA?

Neither do I want an argument. But this last political season went on and on about JOBS, and in the real world, WE are responsible for making and losing them. No President or Congress can make our buying lust for cheap products go to the US and create jobs. Those idiots actually convinced people that THEY can make jobs, no not unless we build stuff here...

Sorry, I'll get off of the Nationalistic soapbox :-)

Anyway I started playing in the 60's on a Zim Gar $49 POS. I have many guitars made in the US, and overseas. My Tele and strats are made in Korea, Indonesia, to name a few, all can be had for a couple of hundred bucks, and the used market is flooded with inexpensive guitars that kids can afford.

The Chinese are well known for using inferior and dangerous components to build things and I don't buy them. No other country in the far east has such a poor track record... YMMV.

BTW, I was interested in Eastmans too till I found out where they're made.

Kind of like not buying a Stradivarius because you don't like Italians. If you want know anything about the factory and the ownership let us know.

You're gonna put Chinese stuff in the same discussion as a Strad? Tell me you're joking. If your analogy were even one fifth sensible, No, I would not buy the violin.

Apparently you know something about the factory but I don't give a darn about it.

BTW, check EBAY and see how many "seller refurbished" there are there of this model. New? None!

Epiphone, in October 2002, opened Qingdao Gibson - their own factory near Qingdao, China. It is dedicated to making Epiphone and only Epiphone guitars. They are the only U.S. guitar company with their own factory in Asia.

Not the typical Chinese manufactured products imported by American companies that did not test or care what was in the products they sold, just profits.

That's all I have to say.

Neither do I want an argument.

Remember, we're having a discussion here, lets try not to derail things with quabbling. Gnappi you sound pretty set in your ideologies but maybe we can shed some light on some things.

To your first point I think we can safely say that the election results show that people weren't actually convinced that a single politician can make jobs come back, especially with a track record for saying Zàijiàn to them himself.

Chinese manufacturing has boomed, and regulations and their implementation haven't caught up, you are correct to say there have been incidents, and IMO it's creating an environmental disaster.

HOWEVER

The Qingdao factory seems to be a pretty tight ship. The plant manager is an american that spent years at gibson nashville, and you can read an interview with him and the GM here. It's an Epi press release, so take it with a grain of salt, but at the end of the day Gibson is still responsible for its QC and global suppliers, and given their recent bad publicity, my guess is they want to keep things as straightforward and without incident as possible from their epi cash cow. It is possible to churn out product while maintaining quality control, especially when you have a dedicated, consistent factory. So are there bad companies operating in China, yes. Is Gibson Epiphone one of them- probably not. Can you get an amazing guitar from qingdao, yep.

If you want to boycott all products made in china because you disagree with general principles and politics, that's your choice. But in doing so you might throw the baby out with the bathwater. Dig a little deeper, learn what you can, and separate the wheat from the chaff. Life moves pretty fast, if you ideologically choose not to look around once in awhile, you might miss it [thumbup]

The Qingdao factory seems to be a pretty tight ship.

Irrelevant actually, everything that's supplied locally in China is and will be suspect. No QC can guarantee the chemical or mineral content and or stability of the supplies unless every lot of everything is is tested for content.

Now, hear this... "I HAVE" worked in Asia... Taiwan, Korea, Japan, as well as Europe and I make the QC statements above from much more than something you read. My job there was picking up pieces of down assembly lines that would not meet quality objectives. This in countries that were motivated to do good work, whereas in China... well you all read or hear the pod casts.

Hey, arrogant!

Why not answer his question instead of belittling him?

Your viewpoint is the type of xenophobic bollocks that only comes out of the mouths of Americans...

Um, I DID answer his question, I qualified my comments by stating that I worked there, which was for a corporation likely 50 times larger than Gibson.

I did NOT belittle him at all. He said he was no expert, I agreed. As far as xenophobia goes, you simply have no clue.

BTW, initially all I said was I saw where it was made and "lost interest" it was not my intention to drag this out with anyone here.

went on and on about JOBS, and in the real world, WE are responsible for making and losing them. I have many guitars made in the US, and overseas......... My Tele and strats are made in Korea, Indonesia, to name a few, all can be had for a couple of hundred bucks,

And....

Um, I DID answer his question, I qualified my comments by stating that I worked there, which was for a corporation likely 50 times larger than Gibson.

I did NOT belittle him at all. He said he was no expert, I agreed. As far as xenophobia goes, you simply have no clue.

BTW, initially all I said was I saw where it was made and "lost interest" it was not my intention to drag this out with anyone here.

So, what was your intention?

If you feel that Chinese manufacturing/importing is bad for the American (or other) economy, here is your chance to convince someone by sharing your experience, knowledge, or information.

If you truly feel "buying American" is something important, then by all means, do what you can to convince others. The floor is yours.

"Qualifying" yourself by stating you own Asian guitars, and that you WORKED overseas really only states you have participated in the problem you state. You were asked to elaborate because qualifying your statements requires more than saying one should not contribute to jobs there when you yourself had one. You infer there is more to it than that.

Archived