Gibson Brands Forums

"Woodstock" by James Taylor

livemusic

Yeah, really nice.

It sounded a bit like he tuned the guitar down a bit too low for his singing? I still liked it.

BluesKing777

So nice how playable he makes it, in key of Dm, if you have the singing voice to operate that smoothly. Easy fingerpick for a hack like me.

Sounds like he may be using the same tuning as CSN did for "Find the Cost of Freedom", which has one of my all-time favorite three-guitar intros. Stephen Stills' solo on this is an absolute classic, and is so typical of his playing style. Still makes my hair stand on end every time I hear it, as does "Woodstock" in the right hands.

"Woodstock" is one of Roberta Joan's greatest songs, any way you look at it.

Could do without the flange effect on JT's guitar, although we all thought was pretty heavy at the time. Sort of cool and mysterious when coupled with the open tuning.

its just drop D tuning no ?

great performance ... thanks for posting

I've never seen a clip, still slogging along in the tarpits with dialup internet, but I've played along with that version starting w/Dm, picking single note C (third fret A string) to get that beginning rif. Haven't dropped the E to D yet but I'll try, though I think that bass string kept in E is useful in other parts of the song.

Archived