Gibson Brands Forums

J-45TV!

Guest J-Doug

I found some free time after work yesterday so I droppped by my favorite Gibson dealer. They usually have about 10-12 Gibson acoustics in stock. A lot of Songwriters (which I am not interested in), J-185, J-45 standard, J-45 custom shop and a J-45 TV. They also had a Martin D-15M which I was interested in trying amongst a bunch of other Martins including a 00-28VS, Taylors (ick) and Larrivees (can't handle their skinny necks).

So here's my review. (FYI I only finger pick with bare fingers so YMMV.)

I started with the D-15M. After 10 min with it I wasn't impressed, though I wanted to be. Flat and thin bass for a dread Martin and I couldn't deal with the neck. Too small and shallow for me. I was getting hand cramps. I played a used (in poor condition) 000-15S last week and it was a better guitar. Maybe the D just needs some play in time, but I would never commit to a guitar that sounded this flat from the get go.

Next was semi-used Gibson J-185 I have spent some quality time (~1 hour) with in the past. God did that guitar sound awful. The strings were pretty old. But even with that in mind I thought the guitar sounded like it was stuffed with socks. No high end sparkle and the bass was quite weak. It used to be on at a "special" price but even at that price I wouldn't have jumped at it.

On to the custom shop J-45CS they have. The guitar is a looker with a faded cherry sunburst and top notch fit and finish. Quite a good sound, nice thawk in the bass, full mids and sweet trebles. It fit my ragtime/blues/gospel stuff I was playing nicely. But it wasn't a TKO.

Then I tried the standard J-45. I thought the guitar was a dud. Very lifeless compared to the custom shop. I must admit I haven't found a standard J-45 in years that impressed me.

Then the last Gibson, the J-45TV. Again nice fit and finish, nice neck shape. And holy cow, it was everything that the custom shop was and much more. More bass projection, honking mids and sparkling trebles, yet still balanced. Maybe it was the Adi top but was I ever impressed. I haven't felt this knocked out by a Gibson since buying my J-100Xtra. This guitar was capable of doing what my other guitars just don't do as well. I was playing RGD's Make Believe Stunt (a takeoff on Maple Leaf Rag) and it sounded like never before. It sounded the way the song was meant to sound. Everything I played sounded just sounded better and I felt it made me sound like a better player. What an awesome guitar.

To cleanse my palette I spend a few minutes with the Martin 00-28VS. It's a nice guitar but it was not calling my name. I much prefer my 000-28VS.

After that I kept A-B'ing the custom shop and the TV. The TV won hands down. Eventually I stopped playing the custom shop altogether. What a killer guitar that TV was and is. I had a hard time leaving the store without it. GAS alert!

I found some free time after work yesterday so I droppped by my favorite Gibson dealer. Then the last Gibson, the J-45TV.

After that I kept A-B'ing the custom shop and the TV. The TV won hands down. Eventually I stopped playing the custom shop altogether. What a killer guitar that TV was and is. I had a hard time leaving the store without it. GAS alert!

And you walked out the door without it? There is a short-term cure for GAS, you know. It's called VISA.

And you walked out the door without it? There is a short-term cure for GAS, you know. It's called VISA.

There is also a short term path to pain. It's called what my wife would do to me if I showed up with another guitar! I actually have the money in the bank though so no VISA required. Seriously I've been thinking about that TV all day today.

There is also a short term path to pain. It's called what my wife would do to me if I showed up with another guitar! I actually have the money in the bank though so no VISA required. Seriously I've been thinking about that TV all day today.

I think it's calling your name........

BUY IT !!! Don't let anyone else snatch it up .

JC

Would you guys mind giving my wife a ring and help me convince her? [tongue]

Would you guys mind giving my wife a ring and help me convince her? [tongue]

You need to give your wife a different kind of ring to keep her happy.

Nick's rules one for keeping wife happy while indulging one's passion for guitars:

1. You must spend as much on nice treats for your wife over the course of the year as you spend on your guitar-buying habit.

2. The timing of these treats is critical. Start the year off by buying her something of significant value, even if you have yet to buy a guitar.

3. Buy a guitar shortly thereafter, or you lose the "credit" you earned by giving her the gift in the first place. Gift credit has a short shelf life.

4. A single big gift goes a long way, but you still need multiple gifts over the course of the year.

5. When in doubt, grovel.

6. By the way, you NEVER get ahead in this game. They always have a little list......

7. Gifts are MUCH cheaper than divorce, no matter how it seems at the time.

Does your 00018 speak to you in the same way? Fair exchange is no robbery...

Unfortunately (or is that fortunately) the three I have are keepers. Plus the 000-18MC was a gift from my wife.

You have to return to the shop and see if the effect is still there. Was it a craze or a glimpse of the truth.

If it continues to mesmerize you, make your move.

Regarding all the wife-talk, it's beyond me. Never in my life was it possible for a woman to edit my decisions, , , in any way.

Then again, I was a wild man, , , now of course retired as the humble Acoustic Monk.

You have to return to the shop and see if the effect is still there. Was it a craze or a glimpse of the truth.

If it continues to mesmerize you, make your move.

I think you've hit the nail here. I do need to try this sucker out again. Was it love or lust? But I'd need to go in the evening when the store is (relatively) quiet.

But really I'm in no rush. If this one gets away so be it. I'm not going to get caught up in an impulse buy ever again. There will be others. It just takes time to find the good ones (in this case ~5 years of trying!).

I think the J-45TV is the best guitar in the Gibson acoustics line up.

If I didnt have my Aaron Lewis SJ (which is based on the specs of his own 51's SJ) I would not hesitate in getting a J-45TV.

Sounds like you found the one that really speaks to you, dont let this one slip.

You know what they say, when you find a good Gibson there is nothing out there that can match it.

Get the guitar.

Sounds like you found the one that really speaks to you, dont let this one slip.

You know what they say, when you find a good Gibson there is nothing out there that can match it.

Get the guitar.

You guys are such a bunch of enablers. [flapper] I'll see I can give it another try out at the store. Buying this TV will be an extremely tough sell to my wife though. What were Nick's rules again? Maybe I should write them down.

You guys are such a bunch of enablers. [flapper] I'll see I can give it another try out at the store. Buying this TV will be an extremely tough sell to my wife though. What were Nick's rules again? Maybe I should write them down.

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission ... [rolleyes]

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission ... [rolleyes]

Not always. In my business, people try that one all the time. I've made a point several times of requiring people to throw away or modify million-dollar components when they tried the "ask forgiveness" approach. They don't call me "Dr. No" for nuthin'.

When it comes to buying guitars, however, you have a bit more leverage. Provided you are not taking food out of the mouths of your children by buying a(nother) guitar, there is almost always something you can do to get that forgiveness: you just have to figure out what it is.

Simple answer .... marry a woman (or man ... thinking of Red here) that will let you buy all the guitars you want.

That's what I did, second time around. Works a treat. But I do give her pretty much whatever she wants. There is no free lunch when you are married. Well, rarely, in any case....

• 7 months later...

I have the chance to try a TV this Sunday (fyi Im in the UK). Its going second hand and I'll have to travel a couple of hours just to try it but ive got the selling price down to £1,550, which I think is pretty good.

Would you make the journey just to try it out?

Im wary it could be a dud but I guess I need to try...

I have the chance to try a TV this Sunday (fyi Im in the UK). Its going second hand and I'll have to travel a couple of hours just to try it but ive got the selling price down to £1,550, which I think is pretty good.

Yes, worth the trip......

If it would sound how it should this is a pretty good price. I would ask for a sound sample first if possible.

If it would sound how it should this is a pretty good price. I would ask for a sound sample first if possible.

thanks guys.

I have a sound sample coming my way tomorrow apparently.

Seller has said:

'It is in excellent condition and sounds incredible! I am only selling for financial reasons.'

He also states:

'The action is fairly low and the intonation is perfect, it had a set up at Chandler's when I bought it. This is an added bonus as some J45 fans have criticized the factory set up on these J45s.'

All sounds a bit too good to be true! Time will tell..

p.s. here's a photo

post-58213-061964800 1374240654_thumb.jpg

Archived