Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson with bright sound

jani0077

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I'd like to ask for your help in choosing a Gibson. I own several Fender Telecasters, and would like to have some guitars from other brands as well, but I don't know which Gibson sounds similar to those teles,which have clear and bright sound. I mostly play indie music, something like Foster the people.

Thanks in advance (my english is not so good but I'm trying)

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I'd like to ask for your help in choosing a Gibson. I own several Fender Telecasters, and would like to have some guitars from other brands as well, but I don't know which Gibson sounds similar to those teles,which have clear and bright sound. I mostly play indie music, something like Foster the people.

Thanks in advance (my english is not so good but I'm trying)

that's a kinda' vague description since there are several Gibson models to choose from [flapper]

anyway, seeing as you're currently using Teles, which are kinda' smallbodied, and you'd like a bright

sound at that, maybe an SG of some sort would suit your needs? [biggrin]

Gibsons arnt known for being thin in sound. Its what draws most people to them fat wide sounds..

Les Pauls will be too fat.. SGs are much brighter but still dont campare to a Tele.. Maybe a Firebird with mini humbuckers??

You might consider looking at a Melody Maker. Either the regular or P90 version will probably have the brightest sound of any Gibson. This can be attributed to the thin body and single coil pickups. The "regular" Melody Makers are especially "Fender-ish"...very twangy. The P90 variant has a little more bass and midrange.

Just my experience.

-Ryan

I sold a recently made Melody Maker with the standard single coil, it was cool and played well but I did find it a bit too jangly and bright, sort of somewhere between a Tele and a Danelectro. I did keep my other Melody Maker with the P-90 in it, which I find almost identical to a Les Paul Junior I used to have only with a smaller headstock (actually maybe a bit better, the LP Junior had the one-piece wraparound bridge but the MM has a full tune-o-matic.)

• 5 weeks later...

Any of them with P90 pups. Gibson has produced a pretty wide range of body styles with P90s to pick from, but they fall in two general groups, solid and hollow/semi hollow bodies. I would try out both styles to determine what feels and sounds good to you. My current favorite is the Midtown, but I see an LP or SG with P90s in my future.

Archived