Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of this Les Paul Custom?

daveinspain

I can get this for 2000 euros, (that's about 2600 dollars) plus my Gretsch 6120... They told me it's a 1972 but when I checked the pots the are from 1973... Seems to be all original and in pretty good shape for a 40 year old guitar.. Frets look good, original fretless wonders... Anyway here it is

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

The bridge pick up needs work, it's low in volume, may need a rewind but they are the original pat. number sticker pickups... The neck pick up is fine and all the electronics.... I may have to change the high E string tuner, its very lose but works fine.

Has a small volute, which doesn't bother me at all, has the made in USA stamp too. It's Norlin era and has and pancake body although you really have to look hard to find any seams.

Do you think it's a good deal?

I can't give an answer for value, only opinions, so keep in mind, I say this only to assist in a thought process, as opposed to advice.

Fisrt, lets be honest about the condition. From what I can see in these pics, the hardware is showing corrosion. It's nice that it's the origonal hardware and pups (they seem to be), but there isn't really much to be done about it. I have polished up an LP from the era, so I think you could polish up the black, but it too is faded and dull pretty good. and some of it is coming off the edge.

So..to me, I would call this "fair" or "fair to average" condition.

Personally, I have a thing for LP's of this era. Particularly LPC's. For a Paul, I think some of the Norlin oddities are a good thing in a lot of ways. But I don't believe they have reached a status of being worth any more than any other LPC custom. I could be wrong. 2600 for a fair condition LPC seems a little high to me. 2600 AND the Gretch? hmmm.

The pups...being decaled, may or may not prove to be valueable though. I have heard of decaled pups surviving into the 70's in gold versions because they were seldon used, or depending on the pole spacing. But I also am pretty sure (if I remember what I read correctly), that there was a transition into T-Tops that used decals. And if they WERE worth something more in dollars, the one wouldn't be if it was re-wound.

Personally, I would believe what the "book" says on value- they aren't rare. And I would rate this one as "fair".

It would make a perfect platform for a replica of James Hetfield "Uncle Milty" a.k.a. Iron Cross LP. Same year, same color, already beat up, most likely needs a pickup change but...they are asking too much money for it in the condition is in, granted you are in Spain and these guitars are harder to come by there.

I'm no expert. Looks pretty beat up. Are you thinking of buying it because you really like it? Are you thinking it might be a good investment? My thoughts are there are many other guitars I'd rather own. If you want it because you like it, like the tone, the looks, and the away it plays, then go for it.

I like it!

I'm by no means an authority on how much one of those would actually be worth, but I could easily fall in love with that. If you have a chance to play it and it "feels" right, a couple of mechanical and electrical problems shouldn't stand in your way.

But a fair amount of cash + a trade in guitar would make me hesitate though... no room for haggling?

Congrats on getting such a beautiful guitar,personally I think that black LPs look more classy than goldtops.According to the Vintage Guitar Price Guide a 72-3 Les Paul Custom with the volute should be worth $3,800 - $4,800 if in excelent condition.Your guitar isn't in near mint or excellent condition so the value would be somewhat less,depending on amount of damage to the finish etc.,condition and set up of the neck and any issues with the hardware or electronics.

Congrats on getting such a beautiful guitar,personally I think that black LPs look more classy than goldtops.According to the Vintage Guitar Price Guide a 72-3 Les Paul Custom with the volute should be worth $3,800 - $4,800 if in excelent condition.Your guitar isn't in near mint or excellent condition so the value would be somewhat less,depending on amount of damage to the finish etc.,condition and set up of the neck and any issues with the hardware or electronics.

That's good info.

On the other thread he started, it was posted the blue book value would be about 2600 for "good" condition.

Now, the blue book (the ones I have seen) can often have a range. So, where the 2600 and "good" would be in relation to the rest of the range...

While I don't believe these (70's) are really in the "vintage" catagory or collectable, I could see a case where an excellent one would be rare, and perhaps at the top of the market, so I can believe 3800-4800. But, of corse, it would have to be an exceptional example.

Looking closer at the photos, I really can't tell if it is as bad of condition as I first thought. I can see the tuners are corroded, and thus, not "good", but can't see the rest of the hardware. Can see enough to tell it isn't in the "excellant" catagory.

I guess the point here is, I can see this guitar having a wide spread in value between "excellent" where it would be somewhat collectable in a vintage market, and "good", and again, "fiar".

And MAJOR note here: description of condition is NOT in relation to it's age or miles or other samples. "Good" does not mean "good for it's age" when refering to values and conditions.

I knew that the guitar wasn't in excellent or near mint condition so that's why I mentioned that a guitar with damage to the wood and finish etc. and the electronics would diminish the value. I would figure a value between $2,000 and certainly $2,500 tops,to be a good price range considering the various issues that it has.

Personally if I was paying $2600 for it I would be keeping the Gretch. Some may say 2600 is high but I don't think its crazy high. If it feels nice I could see paying that, but taking the Gretch on top of it, I don't know. I think he is making out better than you, but then again some things you just have to have. If that's the case I would say congratulations. Not good as an investment, but if it is your guitar soul-mate [love] , maybe its worth it.

Too much money! [thumbdn] And DO NOT add your Gretsch, to the process. If you do that,

you're being "Taken to the Cleaners," big time...IMHO. I have a "Norlin era," LP Custom

(Cherry Sunburst) that's in near "Mint" condition, that I've only been offered $2,600, for...

(I have no real interest in selling it, anyway!) And, it's in pristine condition.

Offer (maybe?) $2,000, at most, and (definitely) keep your Gretsch. Otherwise, walk away!

Just my 2-cent's worth...

CB

Thanks for the input guys... Looks like I'll be keeping my Gretsch and my 2600 bucks... I will withdraw my offer. Now if they say they will do the deal for just the money I may still do it....

So...question: What are they ASKING for it? What's the price they have on it?

The photeos look like it's in a shop. Is it being offered for sale at a shop, or a private party?

Dave

Yeah, "worth" is totally in the hands of the beholder/buyer/player! IF you find, that you

absolutely love it, and it does everything you want, and more. Then it may BE worth

what they're asking...to YOU. I just think, by the photos, and what they've asked you to pay,

(including your Gretsch), seems way too much, to me. But, that's only my opinion, and you know

what is said, about "opinions!" LOL So...it's really up to you. I would think, long and hard,

about losing your Gretsch, though. It's a lovely example, and another tone monster, for your

"herd!" [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

So...question: What are they ASKING for it? What's the price they have on it?

The photeos look like it's in a shop. Is it being offered for sale at a shop, or a private party?

It's a music store... I just stumbled in by accident a few weeks ago, it's right in front of a friend of mines shop. There were two guitars hanging on the wall that grabbed my attention. The 1973 Les Paul Custom and a 1967 Fender Stratocaster. Initially they said they wouldn't let it go for less than 3500 euros, that's around $4600 dollars... I think they were asking like 6000 for the Strat, thats almost 8 grand in dollars...

The Les Paul and Strat were both part of the private collection of the owner of the music store and were never up for sale before. He passed away a few years ago and now his sons run the store. They have only put them up for sale now because the economy is bad and I don't think they are selling much these days...

I've already told them I'm not interested in the deal from my Gretsch and the money and they told me to make an offer... I leave tomorrow for Boston and wont be back until the 11th of January. I told them that if they can sell it while I'm gone sell it... So if I come back and they still have it I'll be in a much better position to get a good deal...

Initially they said they wouldn't let it go for less than 3500 euros, that's around $4600 dollars...

They have only put them up for sale now because the economy is bad and I don't think they are selling much these days...

Ummm....maybe not so much the economy, maybe their pricing? lol

Sounds like a better plan, Dave.

With respect that I can't actually see the condition of the gold parts too well, ....actually, never mind what I can see, maybe you should subscribe to some pricing publications, and show THEM what it's worth and make an offer based on that?

If it DOES sell for 4600, I would maybe offer them to buy some guitars yourself and sell to them there. (Kidding).

Seriously, if they don't have any publications or means to determine pricing, they need some. But often times, when I have been considering something like this and the dealer has a price I don't think is realistic, I say "show me". Usually I would do this, if say, I knew it was worth about 2200 or so, and I am willing to pay 2200 or so. Or even a couple hundred more, I say, "i'll give you a couple hundred more than it's worth because I like you guys and what you do, but it's worth 2200.

It's a music store...

...The Les Paul and Strat were both part of the private collection of the owner of the music store and were never up for sale before. He passed away a few years ago and now his sons run the store. They have only put them up for sale now because the economy is bad and I don't think they are selling much these days...

So that is a huge part of the story behind the price and a good reason to just be careful when negotiating. It appears it may have some sentimental value to the sons of the owner. Showing how much you like it and assuring them it would be in good hands with you may go a long way rather than just focusing on beating up what it is worth in dollars.

Archived