Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Banner

Dave F

Did the J45 ever sport the rectangular bridge? I thought not, but that looks undisturbed. Anyway, that's a real bad place for a bust in the top.

My bad...I checked out the bridge info. Belly introduced later. Man that eggnog was strong.

I'm far from being an expert, but that bridge looks too new to me. I would be concerned about it being a replacement. Also I would want the see more photos of the damaged area, especially from the inside. Check out pictures of bridges here for comparison:

http://www.bannergibsons.com/html-trans-registry.html

If you can check it out and everything works out, it then becomes a question of price...

Lars

I'm far from being an expert, but that bridge looks to new to me. I would be concerned about it being an replacement. ...

Lars

I,, too, believe the bridge to be a replacement, and not a particualry well carved one.

I,, too, believe the bridge to be a replacement, and not a particualry well carved one.

I agree. The bridge doesn't show wear consistent with the rest of the guitar. I would want to inspect the top repair, since it's the last place you want damage that requires cleating or a doubler plate. It's right where you want that top to vibrate.

Other than that, it looks very good. I wish people would stop referring to these post-war (1946-47) guitars as "banners". It just confuses the issue. On the plus side, they are pretty easy to date.

I noticed this guitar when it was first listed, and thought it looked pretty nice.

Yeah, FONs are usually not to be found on these but the script logo without the banner pretty much narrows it down.

If you go for the guitar I would definitely lay out the extra $50 for the Lifton case. Assuming it is in halfway decent condition at that price it would sure as heck take the bite out of what you would pay for the guitar.

We should all ask the seller about the bridge replacement at once, and take the wind out of someone's Christmas morning. My recent L00 purchase took place and the seller used the word 'original' one time too many, here regarding the tuners. I let it slide because of other superior features including the good price, but I'm a bit ticked off, still. My fault for not pressing the issue, but no prob since I had a stashed set of '34 Kluson tuners to slap on. Didn't feel mean enough to call him on it, until I had the guitar in hand. He danced around the issue and pleaded for the good feedback. It's a bad omission, however, in the J45 listing, especially when the seller speaks so poetically about the guitar.

My recent L00 purchase took place and the seller used the word 'original' one time too many, here regarding the tuners. I let it slide because of other superior features including the good price, but I'm a bit ticked off, still.

Don't get me started on tuners.

In this case though the tuners on the J-45 in question look righteous. The only other variation I have seen that might show up on a script logo guitar are those strange waffle rivet Klusons you occasionally find on the odd acoustic in 1945 and 1946.

If you DO get to 'check it out'....Take a flashlight and inspection mirror to the inside.....check the bridge plate for originality and condition....Just an idea...!

Rod's right on that one. All the internals on a vintage guitar need a close look. A mini-maglite and a small inspection mirror with a telescoping handle are the proper tools here.

That is a 46 and in rather nice condition except the bridge which is a replacement. Many are lacquered over. The bridge plate issues is one to look closely at. It would be a great buy with the original bridge and no repairs, but not as is. The Lifton case would be a steal at $50, but not worth the price of the guitar as offered.

That is a 46 and in rather nice condition except the bridge which is a replacement. Many are lacquered over. The bridge plate issues is one to look closely at. It would be a great buy with the original bridge and no repairs, but not as is. The Lifton case would be a steal at $50, but not worth the price of the guitar as offered.

Thanks for the input. I did contact him and he does not want to show it until the auction runs it's course due to being too busy.

He's already mentioned lowering the price a few hundred but if from what I'm hearing on the forum, it may still be too much with the crack and bridge.

I'd like to thank the suggestions for inspecting inside the guitar. What shoudl I be looking for?

I do use a mirror to check the guitars I have that is very handy.

It has a built in light that follows the mirror and a knob that will swivel the mirror.

The video below is not that great but will give you an idea on how it works.

Hard to hold the phone with one hand and the mirror with the other.

Here is a pic of the bridge plate from the same year guitar I owned and sold. You can see no fooling around, no cuts, no added pieces.

Here is a pic of an original bridge from the same guitar. The replica is not too bad, a hair oversized which is common on a replacement. Covers any scarring. I think this guitar will still be around when the auction closes.

I do use a mirror to check the guitars I have that is very handy.

It has a built in light that follows the mirror and a knob that will swivel the mirror.

The video below is not that great but will give you an idea on how it works.

Hard to hold the phone with one hand and the mirror with the other.

Could you give a brand, model, and source for that mirror? Looks a little bulky, but very useful.

You already seem to know what to look for: loose bracing, bridgeplate, damage, repairs.

Could you give a brand, model, and source for that mirror? Looks a little bulky, but very useful.

You already seem to know what to look for: loose bracing, bridgeplate, damage, repairs.

It doesn't seem that bulky and the stem is plastic so it's harmless.

I bought mine through work from MSC Industrial Supply.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=06551402&PMPXNO=1758995&cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

IMG_0016-1.jpg

IMG_0017-1.jpg

IMG_0018-1.jpg

Archived