Gibson Brands Forums

New pedal thoughts...

Enmitygauged

Ok so I have been looking around for awhile at phasers now Ive never used one before but in a few of our songs I could see the potential.

I was so anti pedal 4 years ago and I dont know how I got so lost in pedals. :P

So the one that stand out for quality and range of sound seems to be the empress effects phaser. I was wondering if anyone had ever used these. My problem is here in Australia the only retailer who sells them is an online retailer.

So im really relying on you guys to its standing does it live up to the Hype all over the internet and youtube or is there better. I dont ever buy BOSS or stuff like that I have learnt my lesson and found its better to have more than less.

Very subjective but get a phaser with multiple stages (4,8,12) as this would give you all the different types of phase sound. I too won't go Boss - I had a PH-3 (digital) and it was ok but slight vol drop when kicked in, no good. I still think analog phasing is 'truer'. I got a Maxon PH-350 on ebay some years back and it's top!

I also heartily recommend the E-H Small Stone,they have been made since the early 70s so their design is tried and true.They are not only one of the best sounding phasers but they're very reliable and rugged.I've had its big brother-the Bad Stone since they first came out in the early 70s and it has been dropped,kicked,drop kicked etc. for all these years and hasn't needed anything other than the occasional battery.

I used the Empress once in a studio situation; yeah, it's very good....They make great pedals....( My main phaser in use is an Eventide ).....

( And a Happy (bit late) Birthday !!!! )....

The Empress Phaser is awesome. The quality of their stuff is pretty amazing. The Empress ParaEQ I had was probably the most beautifully built pedal I've ever owned.

Whether its great or not depends on what you want to use it for. If you need the different stages and waveforms and everything the Empress is awesome. If not, you'd be better off with a simpler phaser.

I used the Empress once in a studio situation; yeah, it's very good....They make great pedals....( My main phaser in use is an Eventide ).....

( And a Happy (bit late) Birthday !!!! )....

Cheers guys I will check them all out. Here we dont get boutique pedals all that much. Only if you order them in and pay up front.

thanks Damian.

Archived