Gibson Brands Forums

Importance of using Durable Road Cases with Vintage Guitars

bluesguitar65

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

1. NEVER-EVER fly with a guitar unless it is in an ATA approved flight case
  2. If you want to buy a seat or put it up top and are refused, have the person refusing sign an acknowledgement of the instrument's worth before it goes into the belly of the airplaine
  3. NEVER EVER travel with a guitar unless it's in an ATA approved flight case
  4. If possible, ship your guitar (in a flight case) via UPS or FedEx to the nearest facility to the destination airport and mark it "Hold for pick up"
  5. NEVER-EVER take a guitar out of your house unless it is in an ATA approved flight case

Did I mention, always transport your guitar in an ATA approved flight case?

gig bags regular cases these won't do, even to the local gig and back. If you love your gear, a flight case is really cheap insurance.

Insights and incites by Notes

If you read the story you will learn that he always was able to take the guitar with him in the plane, he was on a flight he was not meant to be in due to a storm, etc. the problem here is that Delta insisted he check the guitar as luggage when they should not have.

Every single flight I have ever taken from Nashville there is at least one pro with a guitar in a normal case or gig bag, I have seen as many as 5 people in a single flight.

That case was crushed, I doubt that ATA cases are tested to that extreme. Who knows what would have happened.

I can hardly say that my heart bleeds for this guy-sure I'm sorry thaat his guitar got mashed but putting a vintage guitar at the mercy of notoriously and purposely destructive baggage handlers,in an equally vintage case is a guarantee that the guitar will come to harm.If I had a $10,000 guitar with me to take on a plane and they wouldn't let me board with it,I wouldn't get on the flight,I'd either buy a suitable case or boook a flight that allowed guitars in the passenger compartment,even if I had to forfit the cost of the ticket.I'd rather be out a couple of hundred bucks than be faced with the sure bet that my priceless relic would be damaged or destroyed.I would be willing to guess that a baggage handler put the case in that position to "test the strength" of it.I've seen these cretins quite obviously rough handling on purpose musicaL instrument cases,I'm sure that it's a game with them as they know that there is absolutely no disiplinary action taken against them.

Until the airlines get some backbone and challenge and defy the unions that protect these idiots and start making them pay for deliberate damage, all travelling musicians will be at their mercy.Anvil cases are a real challenge for them as a bandmate once found out when he took his vintage 335 on a flight in a brand new Anvil case.When it came out on the baggage carousel it had a huge 1/4" deep crease all along the length of it.He immediately opened the case then and there and the guitar wasn't damaged.He went to he complaints desk anyway as his very expensive case was damaged and its ability to protect the guitar was now compromised,it was just as well if he had just stood there and whistled "Dixie",they were unmoved and unapologetic and just shrugged him off.

I've done considerable flying with instruments in flight cases, and although the cases have come back with obvious signs of abuse, the instruments have been untouched.

But if I have the time, I ALWAYS ship via UPS or FedEx marked "Hold for pickup" at the nearest facility to the airport. That means a few days lead time, as I ship ground to the destination, and that isn't always possible.

Why UPS or FedEx?

The baggage in the belly of an airplane goes in as they come in from the travelers, and not always in the order in which they are going to get unloaded, as the plane makes multiple load/unload stops. In UPS and FedEx they take more care in loading the planes, because there is more order inherent in their system. All plains go the hub, all get unloaded, all planes get re-loaded to their destination. Same for trucks.

Sure, anything can happen, even with the best flight case. But if it is an ATA approved flight case, the airlines has no excuse not to pay full replacement costs.

Notes

I've done considerable flying with instruments in flight cases, and although the cases have come back with obvious signs of abuse, the instruments have been untouched.

But if I have the time, I ALWAYS ship via UPS or FedEx marked "Hold for pickup" at the nearest facility to the airport. That means a few days lead time, as I ship ground to the destination, and that isn't always possible.

Why UPS or FedEx?

The baggage in the belly of an airplane goes in as they come in from the travelers, and not always in the order in which they are going to get unloaded, as the plane makes multiple load/unload stops. In UPS and FedEx they take more care in loading the planes, because there is more order inherent in their system. All plains go the hub, all get unloaded, all planes get re-loaded to their destination. Same for trucks.

Sure, anything can happen, even with the best flight case. But if it is an ATA approved flight case, the airlines has no excuse not to pay full replacement costs.

Notes

You make some great points notes, happy for that guy that he is getting a refund and a shame this sort of knowledge is not known by every touring musician. Unfortunately, many will learn the hard way. The sad thing is the loss of a vintage instrument to me because its not just his loss, its the loss of all guitarists that such a fine antique will not be enjoyed by the many concert goers who wouldve otherwise.

You guys make good points but read the full story and you will see that this guy was faced with unforeseen choices in a flight/airline he was not supposed to be in. I think if some of you actually read the details you would see that he acted in a way that should have prevented this.

Archived