Gibson Brands Forums

The Kat Klub

fightinpikey

Hey everyone,

I recently joined the forums here and I also recently purchased my first Epiphone which just so happens to be a Wildkat

After looking through the forum it looks like the Kat family in general is pretty popular but there seems to be a lot of scattered information. I thought it might be nice to have somewhere with all of the information in one place and a place that us Kat owners can chat.

What does every one else think?

TIPS:

Think your pick ups sound muddy? Lower the pole pieces a a few turn.

I did this and now the P90 in the bridge really screams.

Here is my Kat to start.

DSC04643_zpsab206867.jpg

Sorry, this is the only "Kat" I own.

But seriously, there are many around here who own one.

And someday I want to get a Wildkat

I'm sure the others will be around soon.

Until then......here's my non-Wildkat...... I just like the photo... :) :rolleyes:

015-3-1.jpg

Welcome to the forum and the Kat Klub. Mine is orange also. About 10 months in, the bridge p/u just died. Rather than go the warranty route, my luthier installed Lollar P90's. I opted for the black vs cream to match the knobs, etc. as opposed to the binding. No plans to ever sell it so wasn't worried about the $$ spent. These are just great little guitars.

001_zpsb3478fc9.jpg

Wow that's a beauty, have you changed the pickup covers to cream on that? I'm getting the reissue riviera next but the Kat is one I'm thinking of getting after, they're so cheap too!

Thanks, swapped out the both pups for Gibson P-90's added a bone nut and a tone pro bridge as well as cts pots

Welcome to the forum and the Kat Klub. Mine is orange also. About 10 months in, the bridge p/u just died. Rather than go the warranty route, my luthier installed Lollar P90's. I opted for the black vs cream to match the knobs, etc. as opposed to the binding. No plans to ever sell it so wasn't worried about the $$ spent. These are just great little guitars.

I like those black covers! You're better off with Lollars, but FWIW PU's don't just 'die.' There's no moving parts to wear out. You probably had a loose wire on the volume pot or toggle.

Question about wildkats. Is the body size the same as a les Paul or bigger. Les Paul's always seem to be on the small side for me, I like a guitar with a bit bigger body probably cos I'm a big bloke height wise.

The Wildkat is between a LP and a Dot. The size is perfect for me (and some others too).

I like those black covers! You're better off with Lollars, but FWIW PU's don't just 'die.' There's no moving parts to wear out. You probably had a loose wire on the volume pot or toggle.

Yeah, not really sure what the real problem was, but we did check all of the other "usual suspects" first (switch, wires, etc.) Nothing worked till we changed the p/u's, and not problems since. Go figure. [confused]

Kats are essentially the same size as a 339, and they fit nicely in a 339 case.

Basically, they're midway between a Les Paul and a 335.

Right cheers. Very tempted by one of these but have to get a Sheraton reissue first, that things a thing of beauty but I really do like the wildkat.

Welcome to the Klub!

wildkat.jpg

Hey everyone,

I recently joined the forums here and I also recently purchased my first Epiphone which just so happens to be a Wildkat

After looking through the forum it looks like the Kat family in general is pretty popular but there seems to be a lot of scattered information. I thought it might be nice to have somewhere with all of the information in one place and a place that us Kat owners can chat.

What does every one else think?

Ok, well first I have added a pic of my Kat the the OP.

No is where I start my questions. I have noticed on all of the other Kats that I have seen that it seems like every ones volume and tone knobs sit very close to the body which I like. On mine how ever they seem to sit up a bit which I feel looks kinda cheap and feels flimsy.

Here is a pic.

DSC04647_zpsd6a0f74d.jpg

Now the question is, can I lower the pots some how? or will I need to replace them with shorter shafted pots?

Thanks guys and talks for the warm welcome.

Just looked at my Kat from the same angle and the spacing is pretty much the same. As to your question about lowering, I have no idea, sorry. [confused]

Thanks I just remember that the initial picture I saw sparking the knob height was in poopcicle's thread where he has new pups and all put in.

Poopcicle, are your knobs lower or is it camera trickery?

Archived