Gibson Brands Forums

Dove, montana hummingbird or j45?

Ladd279

Hey guys just joined so I could get some more views on this. I have opportunity to buy 3 amazing guitars and kind of stuck on which one I should get. I've played a hummingbird before and loved it but I've read that customshop Montana's are suppose to be 10x's better. I've never played a dove but always loved their looks and such a iconic guitar. It is hard find even a good sound clip of one anywhere. The j-45 is least expensive out of the 3 but sounds amazing and kit as good as the other 2. Been reading that the j-45 is most versital guitar and can be used for many different types of playing.

So if you could get any of the 3 which would you buy?

The custom shop montana 60's hummingbird is $2200

The 2012 dove is $2600

2012 J-45 is around $1900

Their all mint guitars so their price is a great value

Hey guys just joined so I could get some more views on this. I have opportunity to buy 3 amazing guitars and kind of stuck on which one I should get. I've played a hummingbird before and loved it but I've read that customshop Montana's are suppose to be 10x's better. I've never played a dove but always loved their looks and such a iconic guitar. It is hard find even a good sound clip of one anywhere. The j-45 is least expensive out of the 3 but sounds amazing and kit as good as the other 2. Been reading that the j-45 is most versital guitar and can be used for many different types of playing.

So if you could get any of the 3 which would you buy?

The custom shop montana 60's hummingbird is $2200

The 2012 dove is $2600

2012 J-45 is around $1900

Their all mint guitars so their price is a great value

I'd buy the J-45...but then I have a couple of Doves and a 'Bird already!

If I could only have one of the three..... for me, (and this is such a personal thing), I'd want the Dove.

I'd pick the Dove, primarily BECAUSE I have a Hummingbird and a J45. Also, I've always been curious regarding the Dove. If I had none of the three, I'd hope for a chance to play all three before I picked one. Considering all three are in mint condition, the playability of each guitar would be the big thing for me. Beyond that, I'm just giving an opinion. It's your choice. All three are gems. This should be a lot of fun for you. Many of us envy your situation. Choose wisely, Grasshopper. [thumbup]

I'd pick the Dove, primarily BECAUSE I have a Hummingbird and a J45. Also, I've always been curious regarding the Dove.

If you like maple and can do without the 'edges' of hog and rose (f.x. because you have that elsewhere), a broken in, long scaled Dove is a dream of a guitar.

90's models would be a good be place to start listening.

Em7, all I need is another guitar right now...lol... My wife would kill me and that would be the nicest thing she would do. I guess I've been curious about maple for years. Only had one that I remember, and that was a Washburn that I only kept a short while. Hardly played it. Don't know if it was because it was a Washburn or because it was maple.......Still, already having "the bird" and a J45 I'd very likely go with the Dove.

Should play em & compare...ever since I heard the J45 has a couple of bolts under bridge I wouldn't go looking for that..I'd try & find a J45 TV to try instead.

That's an odd prejudice. Gibson used these bolts for 60+ years without a problem. Not even sure why they stopped.

That's an odd prejudice. Gibson used these bolts for 60+ years without a problem. Not even sure why they stopped.

First Ive heard of these bolts yesterday I think it was..

Im a purist,I only like change when it is a definite improvement.

What years are the bolts used and what are/were they there for? Thanks

Thanks I need to read all this . I cant believe it..bolts since 1930's..I didnt know

For Sj200, J45 ,Slope..?

If I were you I'd go with the Dove. I love the long scale. (I have a Doves In Flight.)

I also believe the Dove is a more rare guitar. It's cool to have a guitar that not many people have........

If you think they all sound great and can't decide by sound, let beauty be your guide......msp_thumbup.gif

Archived