Gibson Brands Forums

Zoot Suit Les Paul

Thomse

I received my Zoot Suit Les Paul today . With all the negative things said about this guitar told on the Les Paul forum. The tone of it is great with the pickup set up. The fret board is very fast and that gives a nice tone. As for the colors i like them in person . All i can say is its nice and thanks Gibson for building it . Real nice for a change something new .

Gratz.

I was thinking about the Zoot. But weighing in at well over 9 lbs I have since decided to reconsider a bit. I know the SG model of the zuit got some of the worst reviews of any gibson on record. But I think they chose much better with the pickups for this model. It sure does look good, and really is great to stand out.

Where did you orders yours from?

Gratz.

I was thinking about the Zoot. But weighing in at well over 9 lbs I have since decided to reconsider a bit. I know the SG model of the zuit got some of the worst reviews of any gibson on record. But I think they chose much better with the pickups for this model. It sure does look good, and really is great to stand out.

Where did you orders yours from?

I bought it from AMS

I think they look great! I read people bashing it on MLF but, I stuck up for it. I was wondering what the P90 and Humbucker combo would sound like together. What kind of Humbucker is it as well?

It has a 498T Humbucker. The fret board is just unbelievable it plays so well i like it not having any inlays . I think its a great thing Gibson has done.

That is one funky a$$ lookin guitar you got there man.

And as long as you like how it sounds and how it feels, be damned what

anyone else thinks. It's your hard earned cash to spend as you wish.

Enjoy your new baby.

Congrats. [thumbup]

Thanks hey i like it . It stands out in the crowd. I have other Les Pauls but i like the change.

Congratulations!

I like the concept on this model, but I find the colors too harsh. If the laminates would be of natural wood colors, I'd say it's a beauty. Like mahogany with walnut, maple and such.

Anyways, don't listen to what I say. Enjoy it! :)

Cheers... Bence

Congrats! I saw one of those in the shop when I went to get my new axe today. I didn't sit down to play it on account of I was giddy about my new axe and also pretty wiped out from driving an hour and a half to the store after a shift at work. They sure do have an interesting look to them and I agree, a P-90 or even a mini in the neck makes for some very nice tones. Isn't that the pickup combination they did in the BFG's a few years ago?

Wow, that looks like a Les Paul in a clown suit!! To each his own. As long you love the way it plays and sounds, that's all that matters.

Yes when i put all my Les Paul's together. it kind of looks like Joe Walsh with the Eagles he wore some funny suits but he could sure make it sound great . as for this Les Paul with a different suit . But it is one nice playing guitar.

Hey Thomsa--just got a LPZS on Wednesday and I was very happy with the look, and the playability was outstanding. I usually tool around with my guitars when I first get them, but so far the speed and intonation are fantastic. I love the controversy about the color, It is one of the reasons that I bought it (other than really diggin the design).

Anyway, I am wondering about the electronics. The guitar has an amaazing amount of buzz, which I'd expect from the P90 pickup. But even when the 3-way is in the brindge position it still has buzz, really pronounced when I use any sort of gain. Really no difference between the 2 positions...are you experiencing this too? Humbuckers really shouldn't be buzzing that much, right? I can adjust my amp to pretty much get rid of the buzz by dailing back the gain, but stil....humbuckers?

I aslo have a 2nd question. Now, this is my first Gibson with a 3-way selector switch and it works a bit different than some of my other non-Gibsons. On my Rickenbacker (and every other guitar I've owned with a 3-way switch), when I have the selector switch in the middle positon, the total volume of the guitar is additive from the neck and bridge pickup pots. So if the selector switch is in the middle position and I turn off one of the pickups, the guitar still plays the remaining pickup at whatever its pot volume is set at. On the ZSLP, if I turn either volume switch off/down, the volume of the entire guitar turns off/down. I actually like this feature a lot, but does yours work this way? I know this is probably one of those questions that seasoned LP owners may laugh at, but if that's not the way its supposed to work then maybe its connected to buzzing on the humbucker.....

Thanks for any reply!

Hey Thomsa--just got a LPZS on Wednesday and I was very happy with the look, and the playability was outstanding. I usually tool around with my guitars when I first get them, but so far the speed and intonation are fantastic. I love the controversy about the color, It is one of the reasons that I bought it (other than really diggin the design).

Anyway, I am wondering about the electronics. The guitar has an amaazing amount of buzz, which I'd expect from the P90 pickup. But even when the 3-way is in the brindge position it still has buzz, really pronounced when I use any sort of gain. Really no difference between the 2 positions...are you experiencing this too? Humbuckers really shouldn't be buzzing that much, right? I can adjust my amp to pretty much get rid of the buzz by dailing back the gain, but stil....humbuckers?

I aslo have a 2nd question. Now, this is my first Gibson with a 3-way selector switch and it works a bit different than some of my other non-Gibsons. On my Rickenbacker (and every other guitar I've owned with a 3-way switch), when I have the selector switch in the middle positon, the total volume of the guitar is additive from the neck and bridge pickup pots. So if the selector switch is in the middle position and I turn off one of the pickups, the guitar still plays the remaining pickup at whatever its pot volume is set at. On the ZSLP, if I turn either volume switch off/down, the volume of the entire guitar turns off/down. I actually like this feature a lot, but does yours work this way? I know this is probably one of those questions that seasoned LP owners may laugh at, but if that's not the way its supposed to work then maybe its connected to buzzing on the humbucker.....

Thanks for any reply!

Hey how are you doing? I do not get any buzz with mine,it may be a ground problem . As for the switch in the down position it is for the bridge pickup and in the middle is for both and if you turn the volume down on one it will drop that pickups volume down and the switch at the top position is for the p 90. I love this guitar it get so much bad things said about it but until you have one you just don't know.

Hey how are you doing? I do not get any buzz with mine,it may be a ground problem . As for the switch in the down position it is for the bridge pickup and in the middle is for both and if you turn the volume down on one it will drop that pickups volume down and the switch at the top position is for the p 90. I love this guitar it get so much bad things said about it but until you have one you just don't know.

Hey Thomse--

I plugged the guitar into my main rig and didn't get buzz, it just happened with my practice amp so I'm good with it...and it does indeed sound fantastic...but let me ask you about the middle position of the guitar...say both volume pots are on all of the way. Then you turn the P90 pot all the way down--does the entire volume turn off or just the volume of the P90? On my guitar the whole volume turns down which is different than my other guitars, when the guitar would still play other pickup. Does yours do that? Thanks!

Hey Thomse--

I plugged the guitar into my main rig and didn't get buzz, it just happened with my practice amp so I'm good with it...and it does indeed sound fantastic...but let me ask you about the middle position of the guitar...say both volume pots are on all of the way. Then you turn the P90 pot all the way down--does the entire volume turn off or just the volume of the P90? On my guitar the whole volume turns down which is different than my other guitars, when the guitar would still play other pickup. Does yours do that? Thanks!

Sorry i didn't get back sooner but when i turn off a volume nob and turn the position of the switch it has on sound . My 1980 Les Paul does the same , Its a great guitar isn't it.

Archived