Gibson Brands Forums

I'm starting to learn some "Oldies"

onewilyfool

You just make me so happy.

I have loved that stuff since I first got into a friend of my Dad's 78 rpm race record collection in the 1960s. Probably three quarters of what I play are arrangements of songs originally recorded before WWII. I keep three Bessie Smith tunes in my set list - Nobody Knows You, Electric Chair Blues and Gimme a Pig's Foot. And I admit freely that my instrumental breaks often pay more than a passing nod to Blind Lemon Jefferson's playing.

If you love Bessie though, when you get a chance check out some Lucille Bogan/Bessie Jackson and Victoria Spivey - especially her stuff with Lonnie Johnson.

Well, I'm not really a Jazz player, but a few 9th chords, 7th chords, maj. and min. 7th chords can get me through...Leon has a pretty "loose" style, I'm plying that one in "C" to accomodate my limited vocal range....lol

Gotta know all those jazz chords Wily..are you well versed in those ?

I can monkey them but I dont know what or why they are.

I never even remotely liked that swinging 20's music..maybe its the sound of the recordings.

I never heard Leon Redbone sing before, really cool voice.Thanks.

I recently bought a Woody Guthrie 5 CD Anthology and heard this song again for the first time in a while, good stuff! I'm going to do it in an upcoming show, if I can keep from cracking up.

hey tele , i wagered a pint to anyone who tackled that car song in this old thread .... worth watching if you're trying not to laugh . and worth watching if you feel a bit depressed today ... sorry mojo !

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/92280-100-years-of-woody/page__st__20

hey tele , i wagered a pint to anyone who tackled that car song in this old thread .... worth watching if you're trying not to laugh . and worth watching if you feel a bit depressed today ... sorry mojo !

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/92280-100-years-of-woody/page__st__20

Thanks for the heads up on the thread BBG, I missed that somehow. I like Mojo's takes on the song but I fear that's what will happen when I attempt it as well! Great stuff!

Archived