Gibson Brands Forums

Picking technique

Motherofpearl

Very charicaturesque film, but I thoroughly enjoyed it at the time..... some great lines in it. Especially the horse in a lift because 'the stairs will kill him'

my favourite was 'he says God sent him'

'on a feckin suzuki !? '

if you got enjoyment from the dublin humour the other roddy doyle fims are great watch , especially 'the van'

but the books are of course much better

back to the thread , sorry

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read a book by a famous fagot player here long ago.

He claimed : Just repeat it again and again, , , at some point the hands will take over and do it themselves.

It's understandable if some beginners just never begin.

"It took me 17 years to learn this lick".

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SSteven Stills in his forties.

"It gotta be an obsession".

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mark Knopfler. .

Was summer of 2008, perhaps 2007. The Aspen Writers Foundation hosted a whole slew of writers that summer, and Crosby was one of them. He spoke for two hours about rehab, Judy Collins [biggrin] , and song-writing. He played 2 songs. DejaVu and Gunnivere. Both in open tunings, and both done on a twelve string D-28. He made that guitar sound like a whole orchestra - he used a regular pick and 2 fingers. I realized at that moment, two things. 1.)I would never play in open tunings and 2.) I would never be able to even dream of being able to use his pick and 2 fingers technique, oh and 3.) I may never come close to writing like he did. He appeared to be aging rapidly, wispy white hair, but still had a twinkle in his eye. Was a fun front row experience.

Why you say your #1 above? Just curious.

my favourite was 'he says God sent him' -- 'on a feckin suzuki !? '

if you got enjoyment from the dublin humour the other roddy doyle fims are great watch , especially 'the van' but the books are of course much better. Back to the thread , sorry

That film was "charicaturesque" all right, but go check out Roddy Doyles original. Especially the ending, which blows the socks off the films maudlin (and highly predictable) cast coda. The Brassers, yeh. Oh, and BBG, could'nt agree more about The Van.

I just want to know who or what a fagot player is.

Touché, ha,ha ha ha. . . .

That one I did not see comin' !

Seriously don't know what that horn - or should I say, windinstrument, is called in English.

You hear them in symphony orchestras, , , but they do well as gipsy-klarinets too.

Help !

Touché, ha,ha ha ha. . . .

That one I did not see comin' !

Seriously don't know what that horn - or should I say, windinstrument, is called in English.

You hear them in symphony orchestras, , , but they do well as gipsy-klarinets too.

Help !

Picture? Brass or woodwind?

I was having trouble visualizing that one myself, although I normally give you the benefit of the doubt. [biggrin] Fagot horn?

edit:

I found a video of a classical trio performing on "French horn, clarinet, and Fagot". By process of elimination, I determined that the fagot horn appears to be what we know in English as a bassoon. Sort of a big brother to the oboe. Looks like a double-reed woodwind.

Why you say your #1 above? Just curious.

Open tunings: I have trouble enough playing whilst tuned to the missionary position. That, and whenever I've tried this I end up not liking the extra wear and tear on the strings. Had a D35 that I left in Stephen Stills open "D" tuning, trying to become proficient at Suite Judy Blue Eyes. That guitar started to become my One-Trick Pony, and it became, at least for me, no fun. I am not masterful enough to come up with alternate voicings and fingerings, I have a Ukelele gathering dust on a shelf for just that very reason. I have nothing but admiration for those that can, but I don't have the time and the drive.

We might need to have the Euro's sequestered in a sub-group to prevent international misunderstanding, with all those quaint references like buggers and brassers. I feel like I'm reading the script to 'A Clockwork Orange'.

We might need to have the Euro's sequestered in a sub-group to prevent international misunderstanding, with all those quaint references like buggers and brassers. I feel like I'm reading the script to 'A Clockwork Orange'.

Ha, ha, haaaa. . . . just too funny, , , what on earth can be done. . .

"It gotta be an obsession".

For some reason, I actually take comfort in that......

I'm a slow learner, too. I've been doing many of the same licks for the last 45 years--and I still flub them half the time. In fact, I never seem to manage to play a lot of songs the same way twice.

What I've found, however, is that it helps if I go on to try other things, and then come back to stuff that has frustrated me before. Sometimes, (but not always) it gets easier, even if the other thing I was doing had no apparent relationship to the passage or song that was giving me so much trouble.

Go figure.....

Its from banjo and dobro players. Usw done with the pick and 2 fingers, which lets you do rolls and such. It goes back to Mr James Burton (guitar man for Ricky, Elvis and Miz Emmy, to name a few). A notable devotee is Richard Thompson. Lessons? Arlen Roth.

and for Gram Parsons, lest we forget.

For some reason, I actually take comfort in that......

I'm a slow learner, too. I've been doing many of the same licks for the last 45 years--and I still flub them half the time. In fact, I never seem to manage to play a lot of songs the same way twice.

What I've found, however, is that it helps if I go on to try other things, and then come back to stuff that has frustrated me before. Sometimes, (but not always) it gets easier, even if the other thing I was doing had no apparent relationship to the passage or song that was giving me so much trouble.

Go figure.....

Me too - and it speaks a fine word about Stills.

And you are right – I remember first time I experienced that. Hadn't been playing the harp for a long time and when it was picked up, it felt as if my modest skills had grown with me or my mind-set or whatever, in general.

Have had the same thing with the guitar several times since. Some believe there is a phenomenon called passive exercise – that goes for sports people also.

The seed have to planted first – then while resting, it starts to develop. There's even a method where you rehearse just by concentrating on the theme.

Ouuhh, tell us more - huge, in fact life-size, Croz fan here. . .

Not to sidetrack the thread...BUT in my long-ago wayward teenage youth, played in a band that opened* for the Byrds, the REAL original Byrds (minus Gene Clarke, alas). Remember we had a long conversation with Roger McQuinn about one of his Rickenbacker 12-string leads that we were convinced had been double tracked. Nope. We were pretty amazed. BUT...my biggest thrill was exchanging a few awkward words with Chris Hillman. Crosby, as I dimly recall, never said anything, just sat there in a corner. But we thought nothing of it because he was JUST the rhythmn guitarist and backup singer. Little did we know....

*for one night only

Not to sidetrack the thread...BUT in my long-ago wayward teenage youth, played in a band that opened for the Byrds, the REAL original Byrds (minus Gene Clarke, alas). Remember we had a long conversation with Roger McQuinn about one of his Rickenbacker 12-string leads that we were convinced had been double tracked. Nope. We were pretty amazed. BUT...my biggest thrill was exchanging a few awkward words with Chris Hillman. Crosby, as I dimly recall, never said anything, just sat there in a corner. But we thought nothing of it because he was JUST the rhythmn guitarist and backup singer. Little did we know....

Ouh yes - I collect small stories like these and place in an album inside my mind.

Crosby being the quiet Byrd !? - well, he soon began to talk, , , and sometimes even overspoke.

Thanx -

Some believe there is a phenomenon called passive exercise – that goes for sports people also.

The seed have to planted first – then while resting, it starts to develop. There's even a method where you rehearse just by concentrating on the theme.

It's called visualization, and it works, at least for some things. It's less useful for things that require muscle memory and repetitive exercise, but there is an element of it even in that. I lie in bed sometimes thinking of runs I want to add over a melody, and lock them into memory. The hard part is making them happen on the guitar.......

It works. It works quite well with muscle memory material. Again... a lesson from Asia that has been taken from martial arts and added to other activities.

One thing about guitar technique in terms of visualization is that it can/should also include a degree of passive touch feedback from the fingers and visualizing what is done with each hand.

That's in ways more complex than with more gross motor skills such as choreography, but can work well regardless. Two things it does well also are to bring concentration on a given piece for memorization both of the guitar technique and lyrics. On lyrics... you're still in trouble if the guitar and voice ain't in the same register.

m

I'm thankfully still the beneficiary of this memory process, and can still spend a difficult day trying to learn and polish a newly learned diddy until I get tired or flustered. The next day often results in a noticeable leap forward in the 'mind to hand' connection, a good feeling that lets me move ahead. Unfortunately, the old coconut is retaining fewer and fewer new puzzle pieces. I'm focusing on gaining some more usage of jazz chords, but sadly the velcro of my mind has lost much of it's grab.

I'll be at this into eternity, I guess. I was working in the home of a client today whose 14 yr. old daughter is rapidly becoming proficient on guitar and piano. It seems effortless to her. Time for a drink.

I'm thankfully still the beneficiary of this memory process, and can still spend a difficult day trying to learn and polish a newly learned diddy until I get tired or flustered. The next day often results in a noticeable leap forward in the 'mind to hand' connection, a good feeling that lets me move ahead. Unfortunately, the old coconut is retaining fewer and fewer new puzzle pieces. I'm focusing on gaining some more usage of jazz chords, but sadly the velcro of my mind has lost much of it's grab.

I'll be at this into eternity, I guess. I was working in the home of a client today whose 14 yr. old daughter is rapidly becoming proficient on guitar and piano. It seems effortless to her. Time for a drink.

Don't feel alone in all of this..........

One of the most interesting tv interviews I've seen was Condoleezza Rice.

Although she's an exceptional pianist, she told how she went to a seminar as a young concert pianist and saw others her age doing almost instantly what it took her far more time and practice - and that led her to seek another general line of work.

I think that we've something of a bell curve here as with other abilities. A lot has to do with whom we compare ourselves.

Even within guitar technique, I've a theory that some of us will automatically find certain types and styles of playing "natural" and others not so. For example, I think chords even if I'm doing classical or some basic fingerstyle jazz or folkie stuff. I just don't think solo melody lines as easily.

I think almost anyone can learn something of strumalong backyard barbecue guitar. A lot of us can manage basic pop (rock, country, blues) rhythm type guitar or simple lead or fingerpicking guitar.

But when you get into the area of masterful playing at that top 1 or 2 percent, it's something some of us may achieve, but not with a tenth of the ease of that top bunch.

So... most of us either play for fun, a smaller percentage play "out" in one way or another and... very few of us are apparently effortlessly "stars" at whatever guitar style.

Yeah, I think even the masters of whatever style will have things they want to do and must work on - but it's not the degree the rest of us must work for. We're all the same in ways in how we approach the art, but some of us simply have more horsepower. How that power is used... well, that's our challenge to see how best to use what we have.

m

Archived