Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Sound?

Hype

The Gibson Hummingbirds are beautiful looking guitars, but has anyone actually played one that doesn't sound so boxy? Maybe it's my bad luck, but I've played over 20 or more Hummingbirds and they all sound boxy....I hope to come across one that sounds amazing, cos I would really like to add a Hummingbird to my 'Gibson' acoustic collection....They're beautiful, but they haven't sung to me yet....

not sure that year or models you're talking about. I will say that I'm only half-joking when I say I think Gibson saves their good guitars for their 5 star dealers and sends the ones they're less jazzed about to Guitar Center. Seriously, I've played Gibsons at Guitar Center that are clearly missing something. It can't always be the strings or the environment. Martins and Taylors share the space and they sound much more alive.

That said, Gibsons I've played outside of GC have been much more likely to make my head turn. I bought a Hummingbird online (before I found this group) and lucky for me it is NOT boxy sounding at all. I've had people play it and have them say, "This is a keeper." It's a 2007 standard...nothing fancy.

Have you played Gibsons at 5-star dealers? It might be a good thing to check into.

The Gibson Hummingbirds are beautiful looking guitars, but has anyone actually played one that doesn't sound so boxy? Maybe it's my bad luck, but I've played over 20 or more Hummingbirds and they all sound boxy....I hope to come across one that sounds amazing, cos I would really like to add a Hummingbird to my 'Gibson' acoustic collection....They're beautiful, but they haven't sung to me yet....

Have you tried a Hummingbird True Vintage?

not sure that year or models you're talking about. I will say that I'm only half-joking when I say I think Gibson saves their good guitars for their 5 star dealers and sends the ones they're less jazzed about to Guitar Center. Seriously, I've played Gibsons at Guitar Center that are clearly missing something. It can't always be the strings or the environment. Martins and Taylors share the space and they sound much more alive.

That said, Gibsons I've played outside of GC have been much more likely to make my head turn. I bought a Hummingbird online (before I found this group) and lucky for me it is NOT boxy sounding at all. I've had people play it and have them say, "This is a keeper." It's a 2007 standard...nothing fancy.

Have you played Gibsons at 5-star dealers? It might be a good thing to check into.

Hi Smurfbird,

I live in Canada, so I can only guess that our equivalent to your 'Guitar Center' would be 'Long and McQuade' which is our nations huge musical instrument store, otherwise we have a whole bunch of smaller independent shops. I've played a wide variety of Hummingbird standards in different stores, ranging through the years (vintage 70's, 90's and 00's). But I still haven't come across one that sounds great.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of Hummingbirds and the moment I find one that sounds as good as it looks....I'm taking it home with me....

Everyone here will tell you to never judge a Gibson by its 70s output. (Nor a Martin, for that matter). I would suggest looking for a True Vintage or an early 1960s... that would have the highest level of guarantee of sound...

I don't judge Gibson's on their 70's output. But I'm not too thrilled with the '90's and '00's Hummingbirds I've played so far....

I don't judge Gibson's on their 70's output. But I'm not too thrilled with the '90's and '00's Hummingbirds I've played so far....

Maybe it'd be helpful if we knew what guitars you DO like the sound of.

Maybe your ears hear something others don't.

I have a Koa 'Bird, and I really like it....and I like it more as it grows older.

Let me be the controversial voice in this round. I'm not sure the upcoming TV encounter will make you see light.

I have the feeling the Hummingbird isn't your guitar.

It's a square shouldered dreadnought, yes, but it doesn't come across with that kind of power – especially not in the beginning.

The Bird has codes of its own and you should search the many threads on these pages – some of them comes pretty far in describing what it is about – without demystifying the flier, , , which btw. is impossible.

Interesting enough, the 2012 Standard I bought a month ago (and delivered back) might have been what your are looking for.

It was louder than the norm and generously bloomed out the box from first strum. In comparison with my TV, it was much bigger – but also very smooth and innocent sounding. It lacked the rough core behind the sweetness, which is one of the main clues for this nectarish classic.

As the Bird might be easy to look at (for some), it might also be one of the hardest boxes to open. Believe me, it will happen.

But you're not alone with your opinion – I've even met salesmen, who found it too quiet and 'in the box'.

Now, your journey into this obviously isn't over. EA and others challenged you with the TV prediction and I send hereby you in the direction of a contemporary ex, 2012-13. Doing us all a favour, you should continue hunting and report as you go. Many here will follow with ears on stalks.

Last – can I ask. What was your idea from scratch. Why the Bird – from where the fascination and inspiration ??

CU

Here are examples of four late 50s/mid60s Gibsons being demoed and comparted.

1965 Gibson F-25

1962 Gibson Hummingbird

1965 Gibson Dove

1959 Gibson LG-1

The most effective way to compare instruments is using short clips back-to-back. Here is such a comparison test for these four 60s Gibsons.

Comparison

This is from a earlier post.

-Tom

This is from a earlier post.

And an excellent post - I have been through some of the vids, but wanted to go deeper before responding.

Not sure the host of this thread recognizes the wooden saddled vintage Bird in what he heard in the contemporarys out there.

He may correct me on this -

Yes, I know my ears are certainly on stalks over here, thank you Em7. And a valid suggestion

that maybe the 'bird is not the guitar for the OP. And good for Hype in approaching his search with ears wide open, so as to be noticing the boxy sound as a direction that the sq shoulder Gibson can go. This boxy sound perception is with some merit, as it's one of the reasons I moved away from the Martin sq shoulder guitars. 'Thought the shorter scale of the Hummingbird, combined w/ the mahogany would attentuate some of that, but maybe not. Of course, if one really stays on top of it, one can make the likes of a bestial SJ-200 behave/sound like a short scale if desired. Not it's natural sound, but...

It does seem like the round shouldered guitars (J-45) don't allow the sound to linger in the box for very long, perhaps concentrating & pushing those mids out of the soundhole sooner.

OK guys, I didn't get around to making a vid unfortunately....Fortunately, I finally found a Hummingbird that I loved the sound to. It was warm, had all the highs, mids and lows; but most important it did not sound 'boxy'! Guess what? I took it home with me! It's a 2011 (Standard). I'm replying to this via mobile, so I'll upload pics later....It'll go great with my J-200....

Thanks guys for your feedback! :)

Looking forward to seeing it. Congrats!

Plus + and not least hearing it. . .

Congratulations from a man, who just stinged his Bird with ph. b. 12-54 Newtones -

after driving ph. b. 12-54 Martin Marquis since the 7th of November. Good they were -

Plus + and not least hearing it. . .

Congratulations from a man, who just stinged his Bird with ph. b. 12-54 Newtones -

after driving ph. b. 12-54 Martin Marquis since the 7th of November. Good they were -

i bought newtones many years ago for a D28 that i had at the time , i liked them a lot but the mail order thing wasnt as easy as it is now . whats your opinion em7 ?

i bought newtones many years ago for a D28 that i had at the time , i liked them a lot but the mail order thing wasnt as easy as it is now . whats your opinion em7 ?

I've played a little Newtone on several guitars the last 3 years. In my experience they shine and last a long time.

There are different types* of Newtones - don't know what they mean by hand made, but. . .

Used

12-54 bronze on the 1963 SJ

11-50 ph. bronze on the rio rose 12-fret (built by my luthier)

and 12-54 ph. bronze on the Bird back in Nov. 2011.

Look forward to take another round with these might not come off until mid-summer.

* ( http://www.newtonest...oustic_page.htm )

Archived