Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Southern Jumbo -53

Krister

Thanks all of you!

This guitar has been played a lot...

The repair on the back is most probably from an belt buckle wearing thrugh the wood and they just cut out the bad piece of mahogany and replaced it with another piece...it´s totally stable but looks a bit bad but i wont mess with it.

The tuners still works but i´m thinking about get a new set of grovers so it get´s a bit easier to tune it.

By the way,the guitar is not for sale and it will stay with me in Sweden for the rest of my life [biggrin]

The tuners still works but i´m thinking about get a new set of grovers so it get´s a bit easier to tune it.

If you insist on replacing the tuners--which I would not do--get a modern reproduction set to match what you have, which is correct for the guitar.

The original Klusons you have are perfectly good tuners. They are also easily overhauled to like-new condition with just a couple of hours of work that anyone can do. Consider doing that before replacing them.

Aside from the patch in the back, the guitar looks to be in good original condition. Keep it that way, including the tuners.

The repair on the back is most probably from an belt buckle wearing thrugh the wood and they just cut out the bad piece of mahogany and replaced it with another piece...it´s totally stable but looks a bit bad but i wont mess with it.

I thought he spot on the back was where somebody had taped a setlist for decades. I had a 1956 SJ where you could see where somebody had done that on the aide.

Rather than replace the tuners you can also see how about having them re-conditioned.

Ok,i listen to your advice. i´ll keep the original tuners for now. Will open them up later and see what can be done...

As a general rule, you do not have to open closed-back Kluson tuners to recondition them. To all appearances, your tuners have no signficant corrosion or apparent wear. You should be able to remove the tuners and flush them clean with solvent through the lubricating hole, and re-lubricate them with a dry lubricant such as Tri Flow after they are thoroughly clean and dry. At the same time, you clean the inside of the bushings in the headstock, which can become corroded or dirty.

Reconditioning tuners is a simple and common-sense project that anyone can do.

• 2 weeks later...

that SJ looks really fine ... any idea how it compares to the Aaron Lewis model ?

JC

Sorry for late reply,missed this post...

I actually had the Aaron Lewis for 3 weeks but sent it back to Thomann when i found this -53 SJ.

The Aaron Lewis was a really nice guitar but it was brand new and would have needed some months of playing for opening up...

Archived