Gibson Brands Forums

New addition

Dave F

Here's my latest addition.

1953 J50.

Seller offered full refund if I didn't like it minus shipping

Here's some of what I was told and what I see.

Look it over and feel free to comment -

From seller -

Was oversprayed & shows 1 crack repair under the finish, the top, sides & neck are completely original finish

(I looked inside and saw the cleats but could not see the repair on the outside with the naked eye. The flash made it show up. Overspray also on neck)

60's 2-line Kluson tuners

perfect refret & repro tortoise'gard

What I see -

No cracks elsewhere. I looked it over good and took the lights and mirrors inside. looked clean

Fret job looks great

Repairs look old

Guitar has that stuck in the attic for 40 years smell

Neck is straight

Action is good. I'm going to lower it a little, but there's plenty of saddle.

Can't tell if the neck has been reset

Don't know if bridge is original. It does shown signs of wear consistent with the guitar

Had original nut, frets and broken saddle in case

New nut and saddle look to be plastic. Bridge pins look to be original plastic ones.

Had 2 old straps in case

Had a newer case

IMG_0114_zps83f75ea3.jpg

IMG_0100_zpsa9f499ce.jpg

IMG_0101_zpsd2431701.jpg

IMG_0103_zps9039ac37.jpg

IMG_0106_zps93671922.jpg

IMG_0108_zpsbc4de4ab.jpg

IMG_0109_zpse45927c0.jpg

IMG_0111_zps50564a90.jpg

IMG_0112_zpscf4dc6db.jpg

IMG_0113_zps29a7d272.jpg

Nice! Congrats. I love "Player's Guitars." Leave the pristine stuff for the collectors. And I love finding stuff in the case. Kinda like an unexpected gift at X'mas.

One of the photo shows that part of the back strip at the edge of the neck block was broken off. I do not have a clue if that is even something to raise an eyebrow at.

Definitly a vintage guitar and the seller appears to be pretty honest about it. Really does look good, judging by the pics. How does it sound? Are you going with lights or mediums?

One thing I've wondered about old guitars kept in attics and other potentially very dry areas is how often the wood has dried-out over the years. I know it depends on what state, country the instrument is in, but wood gets brittle if dryness is excessive. On the otherhand, it could also have been stored somewhere where temps and humidity were consistent and at good levels. I'd have bought this guitar too. Interested in hearing how it sounds.......Hopes it's exactly what you're wanting it to be. [thumbup]

She's gorgeous Dave! Congratulations. I sold my '53 J-45 a couple of months ago. She was beautiful but she didn't age quite as nicely as your '53. Nice!

:Edit: Now I see that the body has been refinished. Still a great guitar but now I know why it looks so clean!

Y designates 1953 but why does it have a 20 fret neck ?

I always thought pre 1955 had 19 fret necks ?

Also I thought 53 would have a thru saddle.

A document I read agrees with your 19/20 statement but when I searched the net, over half the images are 20.

I was told the tuners are from the '60's. Maybe the neck is too?

None of the images showed a '53 with a thru saddle.

Thanks

Y designates 1953 but why does it have a 20 fret neck ?

I always thought pre 1955 had 19 fret necks ?

Also I thought 53 would have a thru saddle.

I did a little more research and agree with your points.

I'm starting to think this is a '53 body with a '55 or later neck replacement.

I may send it back or renegotiate the price.

Thanks for your observations. That's why I put it out here to get everyone's view.

I did a little more research and agree with your points.

I'm starting to think this is a '53 body with a '55 or later neck replacement.

I may send it back or renegotiate the price.

Thanks for your observations. That's why I put it out here to get everyone's view.

Wouldn't that put off the intonation???

Nice looking and in good shape.

One thing about Gibson - inconsistent. I've seen some odd specimens that turned out to be legit. Imagine trying to evaluate Nick's 45 with the unusual headstock and fingerboard inlays if it's history was unknown.

Good luck with the dilemma.

I took this guitar to a local luthier who happens to be a Vintage Gibson freak.

He said it all checked good. It's a '53 body and the neck is original to the body. He'd bet his house on it.

He showed what signs to look for.

His review of the guitar showed the following work done very professionally -

New frets, level fretboard, new pickguard, reglued original bridge, one repaired crack on back, new vintage bone saddle and nut.

He said there were no signs of a neck reset and it doesn't need one.

His only dislike was the overspray all around the body but he said that was just a matter of taste.

He did a blacklight check on the finish and everything was a nitrocellulose-finish and looked real clean.

As BigKahune mentioned, this is one of the oddities to come out of Gibson.

There are certain Gibson electrics like the ES-295 which was made with 20 frets as early as 1953 although every source out there states the model did not get the extra fret until 1955. I gather it was not consistent but they are out there. Maybe it was the same with acoustics.

Archived