Gibson Brands Forums

How common was/is the baked maple fretboard on SG

hydrodriver

from what I've seen here on these forums, they were not really popular, but just about everyone that wound up having a guitar with one concluded they were just fine.

(my 2012 SG Stnd. has one -- I don't have any issues with it what so ever)

The baked maple showed up a lot last year after the feds raided Gibson and walked away most of their supply of rosewood.

I think most models have no gone back to rosewood for the majority of the models we're seeing now.

I own a 2012 '61 SG Standard (Satin Finish) version, with "baked maple" fingerboard.

I LOVE it! I also have a recently purchased SG "Original," that has a "Rosewood" board.

I have no trouble, whatsoever, going back and forth between them. The SG, with the

"baked maple" board, has a slightly "brighter" tone. But, nothing that can't be

addressed, with a slight amp tweak, and/or...tone knob roll off, if desired. I wouldn't

hesitate, in the slightest, buying another Gibson, with a "baked maple" fingerboard.

In fact, from an "environmental" (renewable resource) standpoint, I might even prefer

them.

DSC_0779.jpg

(Top: 61 SG Satin Finish, w/Baked Maple fingerboard, Bottom: 2013 SG "Original" w/Rosewood fingerboard)

CB

Torrefied maple on a 2006 SG!?!?!? Hmmmm, didn't know Gibson was using torrefied maple that early. Presently, I know it's on the SG Standard Limited model.

If you've never played one, chances are you're going to like it. Torrefied maple is very dense, smooth, and fast playing. It's excellent stuff, got it on my LP Classic Custom. [thumbup]

I own a 2012 '61 SG Standard (Satin Finish) version, with "baked maple" fingerboard.

I LOVE it! I also have a recently purchased SG "Original," that has a "Rosewood" board.

I have no trouble, whatsoever, going back and forth between them. The SG, with the

"baked maple" board, has a slightly "brighter" tone. But, nothing that can't be

addressed, with a slight amp tweak, and/or...tone knob roll off, if desired. I wouldn't

hesitate, in the slightest, buying another Gibson, with a "baked maple" fingerboard.

In fact, from an "environmental" (renewable resource) standpoint, I might even prefer

them.

DSC_0779.jpg

(Top: 61 SG Satin Finish, w/Baked Maple fingerboard, Bottom: 2013 SG "Original" w/Rosewood fingerboard)

CB

Excellent pair of SG's!!!! [thumbup]

I assumed it is. It is very light colored and shows very little signs of wood grain. I could very well be wrong!

Did some more research and it looks like late 2011 was when the baked maple began being used. Looks like my rosewood needs a little attention!

you know, I've never tried a baked maple fretboard, but I would assume it can't be that bad. I mean, my '73 SG has an ebony fretboard which tends to make the guitar sound brighter... it's even more dense than maple.

I'm quite sure the 2006 models didn't have baked maple. 2011 is when they started that trend and I'm sure they've since gone back to rosewood for all but their least expensive guitars and a few limited runs where they wanted to offer something different for those who actually prefered the baked maple over rosewood.

I never even heard about "baked maple" till some where around 2011, I just thought I may have missed the email when I read the OP.

I have a few with ebony fingerboards. Baked maple (as has been discussed at great length in other posts) is very similar in response to touch.

I assumed it is. It is very light colored and shows very little signs of wood grain. I could very well be wrong!

Rosewood can really vary in color. I've seen a few Martin acoustics with rosewood that were really light, but they did have a nice wood grain.

you know, I've never tried a baked maple fretboard, but I would assume it can't be that bad. I mean, my '73 SG has an ebony fretboard which tends to make the guitar sound brighter... it's even more dense than maple.

I'm quite sure the 2006 models didn't have baked maple. 2011 is when they started that trend and I'm sure they've since gone back to rosewood for all but their least expensive guitars and a few limited runs where they wanted to offer something different for those who actually prefered the baked maple over rosewood.

Torrefied maple is excellent, IMHO. If you like a dense smooth fret board, you'll like torrefied maple.

Archived