Gibson Brands Forums

Sellers bad idea!

Motherofpearl

Well I had a couple people a father and son come for a trial on my scgc VJ an they loved it. The son asked me if he could try one of my other guitars while his dad was playing the VJ so I passed him the K35 Kopp the sons faced dropped and he looked over at his dad and his dad looked up. Son passed him the guitar and the father went to heaven. The last thing he said to me before he left call me if you want to sell that Kopp.

Moral of the story hide your keepers when you bring over potential buyers :(

I'd hide my other guitars for other reasons. When word gets around town you have a collection of valuable guitars.......you won't for long. Some d-bag will likely try to steal them. If you are willing, it would be safer to have the guitar hung on display for sale in a local, trusted music store on consignment. The store should only let real, interested customers handle and play the instrument, keeping away the grubby-fingers and snotty noses who will play punk rock on it for fun! You will have the instrument exposed to more potential buyers, you'll make money, the local business will make some too, and some lucky customer will find their new best friend!

I stopped in at Kopp's last week. He had 11 guitars ready to ship and each was a work of art. We had a great time. Kevin is a very interesting guy and the folks that are going to the Homecoming are going to get to see his operation. No one can finish a guitar like Kevin. He said his secret is letting the lacquer dry before putting on the next coat. There just might be a little more to it than that.

The Gibson J-35 is a nice guitar. The Kopp J-35 is the guitar Gibson wishes they could make. No disrespect to Gibson intended. Same can be said for Dan Roberts. The John Walker J-35 is the guitar that all others are measured by.

The best guitar I have played is Kevin's "Trail Boss". I'm saving my money.

naw that's nuthin..

I went with my buddy a few years ago to pickup a power amp for our PA. (I think it was a QSC)

The seller showed us the item in question, the amp was advertised as Excellent condition.. .. No dice. it was beat up, like a junk yard dog.

My buddy asks him "well,, okay,, but does it work"... guy sighs audibly, plugs it in, and yes - seems that it works..

then my pal says,, "ya know, excellent condition is a bit of a stretch,,.." he's about to offer him most of what he asked... ($150)

This guy, knowing what's coming, shuts off the amp, unplugs the speaker cables, and throws it across the room, the power plug rips out of the wall socket and it slams agains the wall. (Kid you not.. we just looked at each other,, "WTF???")

"so do you want it now?"

Without a word, we turned around and walked out. now there's a person with issues....

naw that's nuthin..

I went with my buddy a few years ago to pickup a power amp for our PA. (I think it was a QSC)

The seller showed us the item in question, the amp was advertised as Excellent condition.. .. No dice. it was beat up, like a junk yard dog.

My buddy asks him "well,, okay,, but does it work"... guy sighs audibly, plugs it in, and yes - seems that it works..

then my pal says,, "ya know, excellent condition is a bit of a stretch,,.." he's about to offer him most of what he asked... ($150)

This guy, knowing what's coming, shuts off the amp, unplugs the speaker cables, and throws it across the room, the power plug rips out of the wall socket and it slams agains the wall. (Kid you not.. we just looked at each other,, "WTF???")

"so do you want it now?"

Without a word, we turned around and walked out. now there's a person with issues....

Haha bloody lunatic

Guest J-Doug

naw that's nuthin..

"so do you want it now?"

Totally psychotic yet strangely compelling... ;)

Never heard of him.

Me either. It's a shame his website doesn't provide more information.

There are a fair number of "one-man shops" around the US, and a lot of these guys build very nice guitars. Unless they're a recognized name, however, you'll often find that the guitars depreciate pretty quickly when/if you go to sell them.

Well I had a couple people a father and son come for a trial on my scgc VJ an they loved it. The son asked me if he could try one of my other guitars while his dad was playing the VJ so I passed him the K35 Kopp the sons faced dropped and he looked over at his dad and his dad looked up. Son passed him the guitar and the father went to heaven. The last thing he said to me before he left call me if you want to sell that Kopp.

Moral of the story hide your keepers when you bring over potential buyers :(

Better outcome than where I thought it was going!

"When I was talking to the dad, I heard a loud crash, turned around and the son had dropped the Kopp!!!"

Archived