Gibson Brands Forums

NG --- J35

Rambler

Last week, I was fortunate to find a gent who had decided to depart from his '39 Fullers J35. A brief email exchange, one Factime session, and a roadtrip to Mass later and I was home with this gitty. It's just what was needed: punch, projection, clarity and that ineffable Gibson factor. Right down the middle between the OJs and the J45TVs, as many here have stated. Thought I wanted to go to a concert model but found the bigger presence of a jumbo is what I wanted to hear. Thanks to all you guys who answered my many queries along the way.

Don't want to sound too out of touch but what the heck is Factime?

But road trips to look at a guitar I do get. I hate having to run down the street to get a loaf of bread but tell me about a guitar the next state over and I am out of here like a shot.

Don't want to sound too out of touch but what the heck is Factime?But road trips to look at a guitar I do get. I hate having to run down the street to get a loaf of bread but tell me about a guitar the next state over and I am out of here like a shot.

Factime is Skype for Macs (live phone chat). Anyway, it was worth the ride!

Congrats on the Fuller's '39 J-35. I love mine.

For what it's worth, I was told mine came with a Luthier's Choice neck, but that they had since stopped building them that way. It's about the same age as yours, so yours may have it, as well. Whatever mine is, it's not as deep as the neck on the J-45 Legend, but still pretty beefy.

Enjoy!

Red 333

Somebody explain again why Gibson doesn't make the J-35 burst a production model?

Thanks for the pix; beautiful guitar.

FMA

Pretty straight forward answer - to keep costs down and differentiate it from the J-45.

Great looking guitar Rambler, cool 'cap' also ..

Let's hope some of that Kaukonen Karma rubbed off on the guitar!

I must admit its a bit weird seeing a Finnish surname associated with a famous guitarist .... usually its either Formula One Drivers or Ice Hockey players.

Very nice. Two questions, though:

1) What's a "Luthier's choice" neck?

2) What does "between an OJ and a J-45" sound like?

OK 3 questions:

3) Adirondack top?

P

Luthier's choice neck is wider at the nut (1.78", 45+ mm), and has wider pin spacing (2 3/16"/55.6 mm). Sectional shape is a somewhat shallow D--no V at all. Very comfortable for fingerpicking, particularly if you have larger hands. Probably not so comfortable if you have smaller hands and frequently fret the low E with your thumb, although you get used to doing this.

Fuller's typically uses adi tops on reissues like this. I have one of their 1943 SJ re-issues with this combination of features.

Archived