Gibson Brands Forums

1956 J50 for How Much?

PickitPaul

A friend of the bidder is a friend of mine? ; ). The first three bids were real at the low get-in amounts. Seller has zero eBay transactions, and the other red flag: "here's my fishy gmail address so we can settle this scam outside of eBay buyer protection land". Nice guitar, nice shack, though.

Scam. Those cannot possibly be legitimate bids. Of course, all the seller needs is on legitimate bid at these levels, and he's home free.

If you buy into this one, I'm going to get my Nigerian solicitor to contact you about helping us move some money around.

If you looked at the lower part of the description.. There was a Do not bid in a square box with a email addy.. a 100% scam.. also every picture posted by the scammer was different in the other sales.

they do this often.. report as many times as you can.. get rid of those pilferers.

Yes, the gmail address (in blue) may be a graphic inserted into the body of the ad; I think inclusion of an email address is against eBay rules, since it would promote buying outside of eBay, dodging their fees as well as any buyer protection that they could offer.

Ok. A new wrinkle: the opening bid amount had been reset to a ridiculously low starting amount, $20. Funny, I didn't think you could change the listing once the auction had begun, yet there is no history of a completed listing for when the auction had a starting bid of $16,500. Usually eBay will end the ad, with the message "auction has been ended because there was an error in the listing". (Edit: yes, the starting bid amount can be changed, up to a certain point in time before the auction close- IF no one has has yet bid on the item.)

Also- to give benefit of the doubt, those who flip guitars often re-use original seller's photos. They just don't ask ten thousand dollars more.

Archived