Gibson Brands Forums

Alpine white Les Paul Custom. Real or a fake ?

pm74

I'm no expert but.....

I say it is a TOTAL fake. The headstock looks very wrong - almost laughably so - and there's more too.

And if the seller only wants £600 then he/she must know very well it's a fake.

Do not buy it.

By that serial number, the guitar (if genuine) would have been made at the Gibson factory in Nashville Tennessee on July 19th, 2005. Production number 260.

The details on that guitar are technically right, from studying all the details in the Blue Book, but something does look hinky about it.

Just hard to put your finger on.

An Alpine White Gibson Les Paul Custom was produced in 2005, there's no doubt about that.

And if real, it would be worth right now:

Mint condition: 1,800 £

Excellent plus condition: 1,450 £

Excellent condition: 1,200 £

Very Good + condition: 975 £

Can you pick it up and play in person?

Will they let you plug it in and try it thru a few different amplifiers.

A Chibson, as FZ reports (a Chinese-made copy) is often pretty close to the real thing, but the wood and the pickups are cheap.

The small metal screws which hold the pick guard and cover plates on are characteristically cheap, and they strip easily.

The fake will have some rough details inevitably, usually near the edge binding, neck/fingerboard binding, and the cavities where the pickups go in.

The pickups usually sound weak and flat compared to the real thing.

The shielding will also be poor, so you will hear a hum or buzz as you turn your body (with the guitar strapped on) gently left and right.

Check it out!

Guest Farnsbarns

By that serial number, the guitar (if genuine) would have been made at the Gibson factory in Nashville Tennessee on July 19th, 2005. Production number 260.

The details on that guitar are technically right, from studying all the details in the Blue Book, but something does look hinky about it.

An Alpine White Gibson Les Paul Custom was produced in 2005, there's no doubt about that.

A Chibson, as FZ reports (a Chinese-made copy) is often pretty close to the real thing, but the wood and the pickups are cheap.

The small metal screws which hold the pick guard and cover plates on are characteristically cheap, and they strip easily.

The fake will have some rough details inevitably, usually near the edge binding, neck/fingerboard binding, and the cavities where the pickups go in.

The shielding will also be poor, so you will hear a hum or buzz as you turn your body (with the guitar strapped on) gently left and right.

Check it out!

What? Hinky? Blue book? Details? Play it? Diffetent amps? It's fake. That's it.

Check it out!

THIS guitar, had it not been a forgery, based on the build and quality:

Mint: 250

Excellent+: 200

Excellent: 175

Very good+ 150

Good: 100

Basically, it would have sold new for 250 MAYBE, and used worth about 100 bucks, give or take. IF IT WAS LEGITIMATE.

In other words, they aren't very good, not "pretty close to the real thing".

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY YOU DON'T USE SERIAL#'S FOR AUTHENTICATION!!!!!

My apologies to everyone I offend with my earlier posting.

I wasn't wearing my game-day glasses, and I made only a cursory valuation based upon a quick glance at the OP's photos.

Clearly, the headstock is WAY off, and it is less of an Epiphone-style headstock, and more of an ESP LTD-shaped hunk of wood.

But I do stand by the body of the advice I gave the OP.

Every player who has concerns should NEVER buy online, but rather play each instrument in person.

With their own hands.

[mellow]

You mean thats not the Peter Frampton Limited Edition Alpine White that sold for $10 grand? [biggrin]

Good move checking here.

In other words, they aren't very good, not "pretty close to the real thing".

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY YOU DON'T USE SERIAL#'S FOR AUTHENTICATION!!!!!

[biggrin]

Tested this one with my girlfriend, just for fun.

The only Gibson LP's she knows are the two of mine. And she owns the Epi SG I gave her.

That's the only experience she has with solidbody electrics.

I asked her what you think about this one, 3-4 seconds later she said:

Is that a fake? That doesn't look right!

If she knows, you got a keeper. I have been training my wife and she now knows by looking many models of guitars.

Yup she is a keeper I'm proud of her.

And training one's lady is always a smart move.

She has to recognize a fake in case she want's to buy you something nice!

My apologies to everyone I offend with my earlier posting.

I wasn't wearing my game-day glasses, and I made only a cursory valuation based upon a quick glance at the OP's photos.

Clearly, the headstock is WAY off, and it is less of an Epiphone-style headstock, and more of an ESP LTD-shaped hunk of wood.

But I do stand by the body of the advice I gave the OP.

Every player who has concerns should NEVER buy online, but rather play each instrument in person.

With their own hands.

[mellow]

No apologies needed. You did nothing wrong.

Nobody is judging you, we were judging the guitar. The reaction you got was in response to the quality and authenticity of the guitar, not to the quality of you as a poster.

Keep posting. It's good stuff.

Archived